Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I am happy to announce the availability of our software OctroTalk. It is a GoogleTalk client with *voice*. Yes, you can talk to your Googletalk buddies using your mobile phone (even on GPRS/EDGE/EVDO/1xRTT).

You can even make phone calls using third party gtalk2voip gateways like www.gtalk2voip.com. Make sure to select the speex codec.

For download, please go to http://www.octro.com. And please send your feedback to support@octro.com. This is an open BETA, and bug reports will be appreciated.

Octro Team
    www.octro.com
    Last edited by octro; 01/27/2007 at 08:40 AM. Reason: OctroTalk now supports MSN/AIM/ICQ
    Neat software. Has great potential.

Couple of things:

When I send a message to an online contact, they never get it and what results is this:

Me: Test
    Friend: Test
    Me: Hey what's going on?
    Friend: Hey what's going on?

So in other words, it's an echo effect and they never get the message. I just get back what I sent. So that's a problem!

I get messages though from contacts with no issues.

Re: On screen notifications, how should these work? Right now I get the Today Plugin notification but no pop up like an email or SMS. Should that be like that?

I've also had a problem where people's status is not updated after they change.

You should maybe find a way to make the Today plugin permanent instead of contingent if the program is running or not.

Since Verichat is now a dead program, could you consider a similar system whereby there is an SMS chat relay system to save on battery life instead of an "always on" literal connection?

(I'm sending this as an email too...)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thanks for your feedback.

1) The echo problem -- is that happening for every buddy or for a particular buddy. I have had it happen for one buddy once, and then I saw the buddy go offline. Wasn't able to reproduce, so didn't get fixed. If you have a reproducable case, please let me know on email, and we will fix it.

2) For notifications, go to Start Menu, sounds and notifications -- select "Octro: message", and choose the notification you want. What should happen is that the notifications should be on by default, which will be fixed shortly.

3) People's status -- hmm... Will try to reproduce that.. If not, we might need your help on that.

4) Actually, the today plugin is by default always on, and we used a trick to actually have it contingent on the program running. If enough people want this to be always on, we can probably have it as a preference inside the application.

5) This is currently a proxy-less solution and for that to work, we will need to have you connect through a proxy. But still it is doable.

Did you try the "voice" part?

Thanks for all your feedback, and comments.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Please try it out, and let us know how it works for you. It should fix the message "echo" problem, and has some UI fixes on the chat screen.

New build at: http://www.octro.com/OctroTalk.CAB

Regards,
    Octro Support Team

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Neat software. Has great potential.

Couple of things:

When I send a message to an online contact, they never get it and what results is this:

Me: Test
    Friend: Test
    Me: Hey what's going on?
    Friend: Hey what's going on?

So in other words, it's an echo effect and they never get the message. I just get back what I sent. So that's a problem!

I get messages though from contacts with no issues.

Re: On screen notifications, how should these work? Right now I get the Today Plugin notification but no pop up like an email or SMS. Should that be like that?

I've also had a problem where people's status is not updated after they change.

You should maybe find a way to make the Today plugin permanent instead of contingent if the program is running or not.

Since Verichat is now a dead program, could you consider a similar system whereby there is an SMS chat relay system to save on battery life instead of an "always on" literal connection?

(I'm sending this as an email too...)
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    We have a new version of OctroTalk:

1) Pre-Defined Messages - allows you to reply to a message with some customizable phrases.
    2) Custom status messages
    3) Auto Login/Auto Logout - you can now define the time you want the application to automatically login/logout
    4) Today screen preference - now there is a preference to keep the today screen item always visible. It allows you to launch OctroTalk when it is not running.
    5) Status maintained if you are disconnected and *auto-reconnect*
    6) And Yes, OctroTalk will now remain free for use atleast until Jan 31st, 2007.

Thanks for your support.

OctroTalk Team
    For those interested, I highly recommend this program. (I've given up on Verichat and Skype for this).

Great IM app and Google VOIP/Talk is awesome.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Kinda puzzled why this thread hasnt got all the attention it deserves. Maybe it's the forum sub-section that is not well-visited? This app is simply awesome, even on 1x, it blows away Skype.

For the developer, if you need some feedback also, lemme know. I've been using your app a lot lately, and been pretty amazed by its capability.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Jdoc: Thanks for the kind words. We appreciate any and all feedback. Send to: support@octro.com
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    We have added support for MSN/AIM/ICQ in the client. You can talk log on to these services through OctroTalk, but VOIP only works with Google Talk currently.

For any feedback: support@octro.com
    Download: http://www.octro.com
    very nice so far..looking for a good im client coming over from the 650...are you going to keep the other services in "legacy accounts"? looks also like this thread title needs changing
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    i tried to install this on a treo 750 from cingular. everytime i start the application, it doesn't start properly and then it crashes.
    I too get the "echo effect" still with the latest version.
    Octro, would you like to shed any light as to how much this software will cost once released?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    xtravbx: the echo effect issue was fixed in version 1.01 -- we haven't received any complaints about that issue for a long time.

Now what you might be getting is an actual error. For e.g. if you were online and sent a message to a buddy that was offline, you would get a message like (if you sent "hello"): error:501:hello or something like that. That is by design.

kaiguy: the pricing is still under debate. we will announce it soon.
    1.09 Crashed my system.

Caused a Shell32.exe error

And then its on OctroTalk.exe (if i remember correctly) error.
    Quote Originally Posted by octro View Post
    xtravbx: the echo effect issue was fixed in version 1.01 -- we haven't received any complaints about that issue for a long time.

Now what you might be getting is an actual error. For e.g. if you were online and sent a message to a buddy that was offline, you would get a message like (if you sent "hello"): error:501:hello or something like that. That is by design.
    Here's how I am able to produce the echo effect.

If I have a friend ( that is not on my buddy list ) send me a message, then he receives an echo message back to himself, and I receive no message at all.

If they are on my buddy list - its not a problem, but if they are trying to message me and aren't on my list, then the problem occurs.

Note: this is with an AIM account - I havent tested it with anything else.

This is occuring in 1.09