Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've seen it questioned in other threads, but never truly answered.

Anyone know if there will be a PalmOS version of the 750?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    no
  3.    #3  
    So my GSM options are the 650 or 680 if I want to stay on PalmOS.

Grrr... why can't their be a GSM 700p?
    There are multiple posts that go into more detail, but here's the short answer. UMTS requires pre-emptive multitasking, which PalmOS does not support. The only way to get 3G speeds is on the CDMA because it does not currently support voice and data at the same time.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Yup. Sorry the current Palm OS can't do the simultaneously voice and data needed for UMTS. EVDO on the 700p is fast but doesn't require simultaneous voice and data so that can be supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ska View Post
    So my GSM options are the 650 or 680 if I want to stay on PalmOS.

Grrr... why can't their be a GSM 700p?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I'd kill for a UMTS Palm phone, simply since I have to work with Linux, and am probably moving to Japan in a year and still want a Treo. As much as I like POS, Palm had no choice but to go Windows to stay up with current phone technologies.

My personal, completely unsubtantiated, probably wrong, zero backing or factual insight thinking... says Palm will probably have some sort of non MS based UMTS Treo solution by the end of 2007. Be it a heavily hacked Palm OS, or the successor to Palm OS. Just a gut feeling.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    UMTS apparently does not support simultaneous voice & data - so that is NOT the excuse for not building a PalmOS 750... It's HSDPA that, among higher speeds, enables simultaneous voice & data.
    No, you are wrong. UMTS does support simultaneous voice and data. Why do you think it doesn't? HSDPA enables faster data.

Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    UMTS apparently does not support simultaneous voice & data - so that is NOT the excuse for not building a PalmOS 750... It's HSDPA that, among higher speeds, enables simultaneous voice & data.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    bcaslis, you may be correct - but I'm not so sure.

There is a tremendous amount of imprecise data available on the Web about this particular issue. I believe the confusion derives specifically from the interpretation as HSDPA still being UMTS albiet an enhancement/improvement over the original incarnation.

There are many folks citing difficulty in achieving simultaneous voice & data on Cingular's 3G network. And it is noted that some of that 3G (UMTS) has not yet been upgraded to support HSDPA. I submit that the lack of universally upgraded UMTS (to HSDPA) is the reason for the challenges.

Incidently, while searching the web, I found a paper describing an enhancement to GPRS (and EDGE) that would support simultaneous voice and data. This surprised me, but it in no way implies that such an upgrade has been rolled out by any carrier. It just adds to the great confusion over this issue.

Personally, I'm stuck in 2.5G land for the forseeable future with T-Mobile - and even unable to prepare for 3G since it appears T-Mobile's 3G will require new radios (the so-called Band IV capable, 1700/2100 MHz variant of 3G) :-(.

So if you can find some definitive info on this matter, please - by all means - post a link here, okay?
    http://www.3gamericas.org/English/Ne...ase.cfm?id=429

Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    bcaslis, you may be correct - but I'm not so sure.

There is a tremendous amount of imprecise data available on the Web about this particular issue. I believe the confusion derives specifically from the interpretation as HSDPA still being UMTS albiet an enhancement/improvement over the original incarnation.

There are many folks citing difficulty in achieving simultaneous voice & data on Cingular's 3G network. And it is noted that some of that 3G (UMTS) has not yet been upgraded to support HSDPA. I submit that the lack of universally upgraded UMTS (to HSDPA) is the reason for the challenges.

Incidently, while searching the web, I found a paper describing an enhancement to GPRS (and EDGE) that would support simultaneous voice and data. This surprised me, but it in no way implies that such an upgrade has been rolled out by any carrier. It just adds to the great confusion over this issue.

Personally, I'm stuck in 2.5G land for the forseeable future with T-Mobile - and even unable to prepare for 3G since it appears T-Mobile's 3G will require new radios (the so-called Band IV capable, 1700/2100 MHz variant of 3G) :-(.

So if you can find some definitive info on this matter, please - by all means - post a link here, okay?
    3reo 750 users have reported surfing the web while on a call on the Cingular network. This verifies it as well.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I found this same "Motorola Proves..." article. Quite unfortunately, it does NOT enunciate whether or not HSDPA capability was in use in the UMTS test. Remember what I said above, many consider HSDPA just one variant of UMTS - hence the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    3reo 750 users have reported surfing the web while on a call on the Cingular network. This verifies it as well.
    Uh, no. Some Cingular regions already have HSDPA - hence the demonstration of simultaneous voice and data "on the Cingular network" still doesn't resolve the question.

Folks, I'm not trying to be difficult here - rather, I'm trying to get a definitive answer on the subject.

From what I also understand, folks have been able to RegEdit-enable HSDPA (unsupported as far as Palm says) on the Treo 750v - and these folks may be able to do simultaneous voice & data on Cingular. What I'd like to hear is that a Treo 750v user who definately has not done the RegEdit hack to enable HSDPA has nevertheless been able to do it on Cingular.
    The 750v does not have HSDPA yet. Even if Cingular has it, if the phone doesn't have it, it isn't taken advantage yet. One person is claiming that some shop gave him a "fix" to enable HSDPA. I believe he is a lier, he has published no proof other than some picture which could be easily forged.

Believe what you want, but stop spreading false facts. Unless you have technical data to back what you say then everything is just your opinion.
    I have been talking and surfing since the beginning of this year on my HTC Universal, and it only has UMTS, with no whiff of HSDPA.

Video calling, which is one of the trade-mark applications of UMTS, and has been around for around 2-3 years, utilizes simultaneous voice and data to do its magic.

Like I said, there is no confusion for everyone else - UMTS= simultaneous voice and data. You are just going to trust everyone else.

Surur
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I am very happy to hear I was wrong about the simultaneous voice & data on UMTS (even w/out HSDPA enabled/supported by the carrier and/or the phone). My "source" was previous discussions on this very topic on HoFo - sorry for cut-and-pasting stale/inaccurate information.

However...

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The 750v does not have HSDPA yet. Even if Cingular has it, if the phone doesn't have it, it isn't taken advantage yet. One person is claiming that some shop gave him a "fix" to enable HSDPA. I believe he is a lier, he has published no proof other than some picture which could be easily forged.

Believe what you want, but stop spreading false facts. Unless you have technical data to back what you say then everything is just your opinion.
    Your tone suggests more than I hope was intended. You are claiming:

1 - Only one person cites HSDPA on 750v via RegHack
    2 - That this one person is lying

There is a very interesting thread on this very topic here. I'd hate to see your "correction" to my misinformation include some more (misinformation that is)...

Unfortunately for me, I'm locked to T-Mobile and 750 support for HSDPA - let alone just UMTS - is moot for me anyway :-(. And I have little confidence in Palm "quickly" turning around yet another 3G phone to support T-Mobile's Band IV 3G (UMTS/HSDPA, yes, but not frequencies supported by any 3G phones yet apparently).

Once again - thanks for the update/correction to my understanding...
    Until the thread popped here at Treocentral, yes I was claiming your items one and two. The reason being that the person popped up here and at howardforums with no background making bold claims, then claiming the info would available via auction, then disappearing with no auction. Sounded suspicious and still does to me.

I've tried the hack in the thread here and it seems to work. I'm still wary that there is some hidden problem with this. I see no reason why Palm would disable this if it was really working. It's not like having HSDPA support makes normal UMTS data not work. Why wouldn't Palm and Vodaphone enable it? In any case I'm trying it today to see if any problems crop up.
    My guess is taht they didn't enable it since there was no need to for Europe. Europe/Asia is only UMTS now. This adds a layer of compexity (and maybe some unknown conflict potential). Why add that if it 's of little use to Europeans. It's only for Cingular. That's why the Cingular release will take some time. I have a KPN (Netherlands) SIM that is supposed to roam on Cingular here. But, it will only roam on Cingular GSM, not HSPDA for some reason.
    I thought that Vodaphone had HSDPA in some areas. I could be wrong though.
    Vodafone does have HSDPA, as has T-Mobile UK.

Surur
    Are you sure about that? I'll be in London in two weeks and check it out. I'm sure I can get to Vodafone with my TMO SIM. I don't know who Cingular roams on there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast