Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am missing them! I'm not even hearing them, and then I see a voicemail or a missed call notification.

Help!

Cingular USA
    None missed so far.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Are you missing the call on GSM?
    Haven't experienced that problem so far.

What Rom are you using? Voda or Cingular?
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Do you mean that while you have UMTS in active use, you are missing calls?

See my post in a related thread:

Quote Originally Posted by edmc View Post
    UMTS apparently does not support simultaneous voice & data - so that is NOT the excuse for not building a PalmOS 750... It's HSDPA that, among higher speeds, enables simultaneous voice & data.
    I believe UMTS, like EvDO, has the ability to "suspend" the data connection to allow the voice call to come thru. Perhaps that is what you mean isn't working for you?
    Where are you getting this stuff from? UMTS does do simultaneous voice and data. Here's a press release from 2003 about it: http://www.3gamericas.org/English/Ne...ase.cfm?id=429 .

Quote a resource for your claim or stop posting incorrect facts.

I believe UMTS, like EvDO, has the ability to "suspend" the data connection to allow the voice call to come thru. Perhaps that is what you mean isn't working for you?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Wrongo!

Joe
    Yes, I am experiencing the exact same problem on Cingular's UMTS network in Houston.

I used to force the GSM connection on my Treo 750V so that my Blackberry Connect would work. But recently, I tried using the Exchange Activesync method of push e-mail, so I reverted the 750V back to UMTS mode.

Ever since I have started doing that, I will get "missed calls" on the phone and it doesn't even ring. This has happened at least 10 times in the past week, so it's not a one-time problem.

I also will try to initiate a voice call on the phone and sometimes get an "error voice message" from the Cingular network saying the call cannot be completed and that I have to hang-up and try again. Then the voice call works after immediately trying again.

There must be some bugs with the Cingular 3G network. Or maybe it has something to do with the Treo 750's implementation of UMTS, I don't know. But it's definitely annoying.

Simon
    SY, I'm in Houston too (not running BB Connect or Exch. ActiveSync) and am not experiencing the same problem when I have either UMTS or GSM selected. I experience weirdness when the Auto setting is enabled, but that might have more to do with the "hand-offs" from one to the other I think. How is your UMTS signal, is it strong, marginal, or in-between?
    Hey bones_boy, yeah I have my phone set to "auto" for the band selection since the mode fluctuates from UMTS to GPRS when I'm inside my office building. I typically don't have very good reception (1-2 bars) during that time, so it's possible that could be the reason? But then again, if the reception were terrible, then the phone shouldn't even have a "missed call" and should go straight to voicemail. The strange thing, is that the phone is telling me that I am "missing" calls, i.e. it rang and I didn't pick up the phone. However, sometimes the phone doesn't even ring and goes straight to a "missed call".

Simon
    That does sound weird Simon. Why not try and set the band selection to either UMTS or GSM and see if you experience the same behavior? I work in an office building in Greenspoint and I have a real weak UMTS signal but a pretty adequate GSM signal. BTW, I don't experience any "weirdness" at home under Auto because I have a very strong UMTS signal.
  12.    #12  
    My problems seem to have gone away when i swapped out to a 3G Cingular sim card for free on Saturday (has a fireball logo and a 3G label).

Previously I had a 64K Sim card.

We'll see....so far I can be online and calls appear to go through. It's ok, people rarely call me anyway :>
    I'm experiencing the same problem but I am using Edge with T-mobile USA

Quote Originally Posted by SY in Houston View Post
    Yes, I am experiencing the exact same problem on Cingular's UMTS network in Houston.

I used to force the GSM connection on my Treo 750V so that my Blackberry Connect would work. But recently, I tried using the Exchange Activesync method of push e-mail, so I reverted the 750V back to UMTS mode.

Ever since I have started doing that, I will get "missed calls" on the phone and it doesn't even ring. This has happened at least 10 times in the past week, so it's not a one-time problem.

I also will try to initiate a voice call on the phone and sometimes get an "error voice message" from the Cingular network saying the call cannot be completed and that I have to hang-up and try again. Then the voice call works after immediately trying again.

There must be some bugs with the Cingular 3G network. Or maybe it has something to do with the Treo 750's implementation of UMTS, I don't know. But it's definitely annoying.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by terryrocks View Post
    I'm experiencing the same problem but I am using Edge with T-mobile USA
    What is the exact problem you are having on T-mobile, are you missing calls when on Edge, is this a problem specific to the 750. Does anyone know if 3G will get a better reception in areas where normal GSM has low or no signal, provided 3G is available there.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Same problem here. I get one or two missed call notifications every two days or so, even though I get a good signal (UMTS)
    If you are actively transmitting or receiving data when on GSM, calls go to voicemail. If are transmitting/receiving data on UMTS, calls do come through. I've had calls come through while loading a webpage, and had email automatically fetched while on a phone call.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    If you are actively transmitting or receiving data when on GSM, calls go to voicemail. If are transmitting/receiving data on UMTS, calls do come through. I've had calls come through while loading a webpage, and had email automatically fetched while on a phone call.
    I'll check that, but I'm almost sure that there wasn't any data transmission at the time
    There's always the possibility that your signal strength on UMTS was very low. I've found that signal strength inside drops dramatically, much faster than the GSM signal. I've also found when the UMTS is low, it can switch back to GSM, and sometimes it loses all signal when that switch is being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Amstel View Post
    I'll check that, but I'm almost sure that there wasn't any data transmission at the time
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    There's always the possibility that your signal strength on UMTS was very low. I've found that signal strength inside drops dramatically, much faster than the GSM signal. I've also found when the UMTS is low, it can switch back to GSM, and sometimes it loses all signal when that switch is being made.
    That could happen, I mean, most of missed calls have been indoors. So, if I get this right when switching from UMTS to GSM there is a short period of disconnection, right?
    Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't. I know I've been on a call when it switched from UMTS to GSM and it was seamless. I've also seen the red flashing LED go on for over a minute when it was switching. Seems to be russian roulette as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Amstel View Post
    That could happen, I mean, most of missed calls have been indoors. So, if I get this right when switching from UMTS to GSM there is a short period of disconnection, right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast