1.    #1  
    Many programs are offered in smartphone or PPC format.
    Is there a big difference between the two formats?

Thanks

Jomile
    It's my understanding that the software to use for the Treo 700wx is the PPC version as opposed to the smartphone version.

I think one of the differences is that PPC software utilizes the touch screen interface where smartphones do not.

One thing you will have to watch for is not all PPC software if formatted for the Treo 700wx screen size. I've tried many PPC apps that don't fully fit on my screen.

I would highly recommend downloading the trial version of any software you are considering first to make sure it works and can be fully displayed on the Treo 700wx's screen.
    Joe Fallico
    Commodity Futures Broker

Insignia Futures & Options, Inc.

InsigniaFutures.com

Snartphone software will likely not work or won't work correctly when installed on a PPC device (like the 700w/wx)
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Thanks for the post and the replies. I had someone say the Treo 700 wx/w were not smartphones. For some reason I thought they were. As far as which software to use I think both will work but smart phones will have the effects stated above. PPC apps are more robust and functional. Like stated above download trial before you buy since app screen size can vary. I have had good luck with both.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtgo3 View Post
    Thanks for the post and the replies. I had someone say the Treo 700 wx/w were not smartphones. For some reason I thought they were. As far as which software to use I think both will work but smart phones will have the effects stated above. PPC apps are more robust and functional. Like stated above download trial before you buy since app screen size can vary. I have had good luck with both.
    The Treo is a smartphone, it just happens to run the Windows Mobile 5 Phone Edition operating system. Smartphones like the Dash, Q, and Blackjack run Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone Edition OS.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    The Treo is a smartphone, it just happens to run the Windows Mobile 5 Phone Edition operating system. Smartphones like the Dash, Q, and Blackjack run Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone Edition OS.
    That is not entirely correct, Yes the Treo is considered a smartphone, it is actually a pocket PC with phone. The treo uses Windows Mobile 5.0. What sets the Treo apart from a smartphone is the touch screen. A windows smartphone does not have touch screen functionality only the PPC phones do. Thus, if you install software that says it is for windows smartphone, you will not have touchscreen capability. You should always install the PPC version of any software if it is available because that is the proper software for this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
    That is not entirely correct, Yes the Treo is considered a smartphone, it is actually a pocket PC with phone. The treo uses Windows Mobile 5.0. What sets the Treo apart from a smartphone is the touch screen. A windows smartphone does not have touch screen functionality only the PPC phones do. Thus, if you install software that says it is for windows smartphone, you will not have touchscreen capability. You should always install the PPC version of any software if it is available because that is the proper software for this phone.
    Yes, it's entirely correct. Blame palm for calling the Treo a "smartphone". Re-read my statement again. The Treo is a smartphone that runs WM5 Pocket PC phone edition. If you (or anyone else) understands the difference between the Pocket PC Phone edition and the Smartphone edition of the OS, there should be no confusion of what application you should buy.

BTW, it is possible to run WM5 smartphone edition software on a WM5 Phone edition device. Of course, running a SP application on a PPC would limit navigation to the left/right softkeys. However, the same is not true for the reverse situation (PPC to smartphone).
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Well your both are correct Palm used smartphone to market and sell it as a more techie tool and it looks like a smart phone. It does however run WM5 Pocket PC phone edition. It can run both types of apps smartphone and PPC but by using PPC apps it utilizes the os and the hardware more. So when you boil it all down it is a PPC phone branded with Smart phone name to sell more units andwey if it works we all are happy.
    Ugh, thanks Palm for all this confusion. Just strike out the smartphone part of the name and replace it with PPC Phone Edition device.
  10. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    funny, if I had called my 650 a smartphone nobody would have thought twice. Put Windows on the same hardware and now it is a problem. darnit!
    I blame Microsoft for so naming the software. "Smartphone" makes more sense to use for the broad category of devices. Regardless, my understanding is that this confusion will be eliminated with the next WM version which will be common across both platforms (smartphone/phone edition).