1.    #1  
    sure there have been many discussions on this, but just WHY is the Calendar function so slow to access and navigate in? Can anything be done to speed this up?
    what is your program memory at? is htere any way to free some up? this will effect everything.
    I believe it has to do with how many days are cached. For the Treo Calendar, it seems to be 1 week, so when you move from the end/beginning of one week to the next, the transition is very slow. I purchased Pocket Informant, which I believe caches 3 months of data and is very speedy moving from day to day (as the Treo 650 was). There are other programs which also move quickly between days, but I found PI to be very robust in additional features.
  4.    #4  
    even when hitting "calendar" from the start menu, the process is slow...maybe 5 seconds. Once in, even going to the next day...tomorrow...the process takes a minimum of 5 seconds.
    That is definitely not normal. It takes 1 to 2 seconds to load calendar for me and going to the next day is instantaneous. Maybe you have a bunch of dupe entries in your notification queue. Find a utility to remove dupes such as SKTools or Memmaid.