Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looks like there's a new native Windows Mobile client app for Windows Live Search

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/smartphon...ile-218467.php

I tried it out on the 700wx and it rocks. Makes you glad you have EVDO. Maps are good. Directions are good. Search is good. Dial right from the results. I love it.

Best of all, no Java!

Traffic too!

Go here from your phone to download the app...
    http://wls.live.com
    Yup. It's a solid program. Blows Gmaps away.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Does it need .net 2?
    I assume no else Malatesta would slam it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein View Post
    Does it need .net 2?
    Would *I* use if it did? (see my sig)

No, looks like it's using .Net 1 which is in your ROM/native or it's just C++, but definitely not NET 2.

Edit: Hannip beat me to it! lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I gotta say that this freebie programs like this that make coughing up so much cash for a ppc worthwhile.

This appears to be great.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    wow. blows google away. better info, faster, stable, easier to use. double wow.
    it seems like the only thing missing is contact integration
    the depth of info in categories is amazing.
    The only thing I dont see is how to search down to a specific zip code.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    When I use it, i put in the <Business> line the item and then the zip code.

For example, "Pizza 20036" for all restaurants with Pizza in Zip code 20036.

Works GREAT!
    Is there a link we can see the demo or screenshots of this new application.
    http://mobile.live.com/pocketpc/default.aspx
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by Dinomon; 12/01/2006 at 09:51 AM.
    I just downloaded this on my wx and its SWEET! I love that it doesn't use .net, which makes it fast. This will replace directory assistance on my phone now bc directory assistance is sloooow due to .net.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Can you use Windows Live without installing this program to Treo?
    i like it. works great. nice find.
    OMG! This is AWESOME... VERY nice find!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    Is there a link we can see the demo or screenshots of this new application.
    http://mobile.live.com/pocketpc/default.aspx
    Thanks!!

It's free. It's native. It's written by MS so it plays nice with other apps. Once you install you will never remove it. It's wonderful with no bad effects on the phone. No need for a trial or screenshot. You are guaranteed to install and keep even if you don't use it much. It's only about 375k so I installed directly to the phone instead of my card.

The only thing I have noticed that I wish I could change is the limit of 25 results for a search. In a smaller town this may not be an issue but here in Long Beach, CA I couldn't even get all the results available for Thai Restaurants. If you need to find the closest place to an address it's fine but if you want the number for a specific restaurant in a large city you may have problems if you don't remember the name. I am sure that this won't be a frequent problem.

The ability to get search results based on distance to an address is great! Even better than that is the way you can map all results and zoom in and out. You can even toggle between the results and the map easily.

The traffic works great and doesn't grind the device to a halt!

I vote for this as the best free app ever provided for any handheld device! It may even be the best app period (of course that would depend on which apps you rely on most).

I'm done ranting.
    I noticed that the traffic map overlay is limited to certain cities (23 total). Unfortunately, Dallas is not one of them

This is a beta still, so I won't ding them for that as I'm sure it will get added by release time.

Has anyone figured out how to get out of full screen mode once you enter it? I have been exiting the program because the normal methods don't seem to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    I noticed that the traffic map overlay is limited to certain cities (23 total). Unfortunately, Dallas is not one of them

This is a beta still, so I won't ding them for that as I'm sure it will get added by release time.

Has anyone figured out how to get out of full screen mode once you enter it? I have been exiting the program because the normal methods don't seem to work.
    Finally I get a chance to help one of the masters!

Once you enter full screen mode you can tap the screen to toggle between full screen and regular screen. To exit out of full screen mode completely you need to go Menu -> Full Screen to uncheck it.

Also, For traffic just pull up a map of your city and while in that map chose Menu-> Traffic. This should work. My city is Long Beach, CA and only L.A. shows up in the list of cities. When I pull up traffic it shows every freeway in So Cal and traffic for all.
    Thanks for the help BigTreo. Tapping the screen was the one thing I should have thought of but didn't.
    Excellent!
    Anyone try this with a GPS yet? Navteq maps kind of suck but the price is certainly right...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast