Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    It has been a long time since I said “man, this rocks!” about anything coming out of Redmond.
    I REALLY like it, and it is only a matter of time before a BT GPS finds its way to integrate.
    This one is a keeper. Not too thick, not too thin, just right.
    It appears to me that BT GPS is already available for it. There are settings atleast.

Also- I take back what I said about Navteq maps. I was thinking of the "other guy" Navteq are actaully pretty good.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Wow, what an amazing tool!

When will it leave beta?
    Very nice find!
    Wow.

I can't believe this isn't some half-a$$ed attempt to steal some thunder. They actually did a great job. I LOVE new free software that rocks!
    END OF LINE
    Upon using it for a few minutes, this program is incredible! Can't wait until it leaves beta.

Good job, Microsoft
    Anybody else getting "Sorry, we couldn't complese your search request. Please check your network connection" when attempting to search? I have great EVDO signal. Everything else network related works fine. I'll probably hard reset, restore from backup and re-intall this app.

edit:
    OK, more info...

I hard reset. I did not restore any backups or anything. All I did was install this app. It connected to fine and changed my location to Ann Arbor, MI. But when I went to search for "best buy". It gave the same error as above.

edit again:
    OK... only seems to error when I search for "best buy" if i search for anything else.. it is fine. I was able to find it by searching for "best". hehehe

edit again again:
    searching was just plain acting funny, giving me results overseas. But now alll seems ok Love this app!!!
    Last edited by ebedoun; 12/01/2006 at 11:19 PM. Reason: test results

aerial view is obviously not Best Buy... the Best Buy image wasn't much to look at...hehehe
    I just wanted to point out two of the amazing features this program has which i'm learning to love more day by day. First great feature is Microsoft hasn't charged a dime for this program at least yet ( i'd actually be willing to pay 30 dollars for a program like this but don't tell MS this.). Second feature that should be recognized is how well it works with the treo well atleast I haven't had any problems with it. Now I know these arn't really features but in my mind they're still important things that I consider when I add a new program to my phone. Price and compatibility of the phone. KUDOS to Microsoft.
    Accolades for Microsoft indeed! Knowing one of the two main programmers, i'd venture that it's an unexpectedly good product despite coming from microsoft as it was written by someone who was a fundamentalist, microsoft hater, with profound knowledge of free BDS until his wife took over his life and wanted the security of the m$oft dollar. You can't keep a good programmer down for long.
    This is awesome!!! I use TomTom Navigator 6 with a Telenav BT GPS receiver currently. This would be a very cool addition especially if anybody can figure out how to get the program to use a BT GPS. I tried in the settings but it doesn't seem to be able to link up with either the software or hardware gps port I have enabled in WM5 under the system settings. Tom Tom finds the GPS receiver and uses it just fine.
    Hey all,

I am back from Las Vegas. The reason I am posting is give more kudos to this great app. It changed my drive to Vegas completely.

I left for Vegas about 2:30 PM on Friday from the LA area actually. Anyone from the So Cal area will tell you that this is entirely to late to try to beat traffic on the way to Vegas. My original plan was to leave a couple of hours earlier but life happens. Anyway, if I took my normal route I would have been caught in traffic jam after traffic jam. Lucky for me this app happened to be released the night before I left and I put it to good use. I was able to weave my way to the I-15N using 6 freeways and avoiding a ton of traffic. I did still get a little but thanks to this app I know I avoided alot.

The other thing that was good to see was the accuracy of the yellow and red patches. Like I said, I did get a little traffic so I did observe that the red patches really were stop and go and the yellow patches were just slow downs. They occured where the map said they would and they lasted about as long as they appeared on the map.

The fact that this constantly updates itself is key because I learned quickly that at the start of rush hour traffic conditions change fast. It was amazing to see freeways gradually turn from green to red. When I arrived at Vegas 5 hours later (not bad at all for Friday afternoon traffic) I checked the map out of curiosity and almost every freeway was a bright red.

This app is a must have in So Cal and probably any other large city that has traffic issues. I guess the only bad thing is once too many people have this app we will all be rushing to the same alternate route and causing a whole new problem.

Enjoy it while it lasts!
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins View Post
    This is awesome!!! I use TomTom Navigator 6 with a Telenav BT GPS receiver currently. This would be a very cool addition especially if anybody can figure out how to get the program to use a BT GPS. I tried in the settings but it doesn't seem to be able to link up with either the software or hardware gps port I have enabled in WM5 under the system settings. Tom Tom finds the GPS receiver and uses it just fine.
    Love this program. Traffic reports and POI is the best. I use this in conjunction with INAV.

As for the GPS, go to bluetooth setup and check the settings of your outgoing port you have for your receiver. I assumed you assigned a com port to it. I never use the GPS port manager in WM5. It seems to be inconsistant for me with INAV or when I used TomTom.

GPS with Live search is cool, because you can see yourself travelling on map in Sat view. Otherwise it does nothing else, like navigation. If it did navigation it would be pretty cool, but will not replace any nav software.
    Dude!!!! Thank you wrecks!!! I was using Com0 for my BT GPS in TomTom which Live doesn't support. Changed it to Com4 and all is good. This is the coolest thing ever!!! I love telling Live where I am via GPS location and finding the nearest restaurant etc. Awesome!!! Think I will still use TomTom since I don't always have EVDO to download the maps realtime but this definitely takes NAV to another level having the satellite images overlaid with roads.
    so Wrecks, are you saying that using GPS with Live doesn't give you turn by turn, rerouting, etc, like most other nav software does? (I use Telenav, and it's great, but it does lack some things that Live has). Thanks for any insight you can give.
    Any ideas when MS will release a final version? Is the current one has Texas city traffic?

Where should I install it to (SD or Device)?
    I installed it on my SD card with no repercussions.
    For the most part it works quite well except it is a memory hog while using Bluetooth GPS. On my 700w, with just activesync running and the Live search program, I was down to 1.5 to 2.5 mb of program memory (because of the lower limit hack). I froze once so far and had to do a soft reset. I had the same issues with Map4pda with GPS.

Anyone else experiencing memory issues with this program?
    None here, possibly because the wx has twice the memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    so Wrecks, are you saying that using GPS with Live doesn't give you turn by turn, rerouting, etc, like most other nav software does? (I use Telenav, and it's great, but it does lack some things that Live has). Thanks for any insight you can give.
    Yah it does not do turn by turn. At least when I tinkered with it. I can double check when I go home today. Best bet to use it in conjuction with telenav, because all GPS software have crappy Poi database. This is where live search can fill in the gap.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast