Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Saw this over at another forum...have this reg tweak for a couple of days on my 700wx. Maybe my head is playing games but it does seem to help the battery a little. I'm not exactly sure what it is doing. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the registry can explain it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\AsyncMac1\Parms]
    "DisablePowerManagement"=dword:1
    Change to
    "DisablePowerManagement"=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Irsir1\Parms]
    Change to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\PPTP1\Parms]
    Change to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\L2TP1\Parms]
    Change to

As usual, you have to make changes to your registry so backup before trying.
    interesting, it turns on the power mangement for certain processes (but I don't know what those are)

anecdotal evidence from other users on the web seems to suggest indeed better battery life...will test (though I imagine hard to quantify)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    yeah, I couldn't find much explanation on these also.
    here's a long thread with user experiences for those who are nervous:

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=83954

5.    #5  
    Oops I thought I posted the link...that's where I found the tweak. Thanks for posting it Mal.
    Mal - let us know what you think of it...
    END OF LINE
    Are we suppose to create those keys? I Don't see them there.
  8.    #8  
    You must be looking at the wrong place as those keys exist. No need to create them.
    I find no key saying Parms when navigating to that area of the registry.
    Although I have yet to try this, those reg keys are on my device -
    END OF LINE
    Is it possibly due to me using PHM Registry Editor? Apart from that, I have no clue why they aren't there.
    I'm using PHM too... sorry...
    END OF LINE
    So what does this do? Scale the proc?
    Nevermind, I found the keys when I pressed show keys only.
    Update:

Okay here's my thought/feelings on this trick.

It either does nothing or negatively affects battery life for me. It certainly doesn't give me any more battery life or if it does, it is so minuscule that I can't notice it.

These things are of course hard to gage seeing as we can't measure mAh on the Treo's (unlike other WM5 devices), but in this case I'm going to undo the changes.

Any others have the opposite results? Of course mine could be device/setup specific so maybe others have benefited from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Update:

It either does nothing or negatively affects battery life for me. It certainly doesn't give me any more battery life or if it does, it is so minuscule that I can't notice it.

These things are of course hard to gage seeing as we can't measure mAh on the Treo's (unlike other WM5 devices), but in this case I'm going to undo the changes.

Any others have the opposite results? Of course mine could be device/setup specific so maybe others have benefited from it?
    I have not preceived any difference one way or the other. Another interesting question is:

If it does scale the processor in certain situations, how does that differ/intereact from using XCPUScalar or PHM to autoscale the processor?
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Update:

You know what? One of my coworker who also have the 700wx is saying the same thing so it could be setup specific. I do see a slight increase in battery life on mine though.
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    I have not preceived any difference one way or the other. Another interesting question is:

If it does scale the processor in certain situations, how does that differ/intereact from using XCPUScalar or PHM to autoscale the processor?
    Well, our processors automatically auto-scale and in fact, XCPU and PHM try but usually fail to override this with their own auto-scale features. This was the big issue with the 6700 and why PHM/XCPU used more battery life and never saved any (in fact, that is still the case with the 700wx).

So I don't think this affects the scaling of the processor which is CPU intensity dependent but rather something else.

On my device, I notice that my charge lasts an extra 5 hours or so on average. I used to get about 1 day and 22 hours of charge with 20% still left and now at the same time, I still have 33% left which is about 4-5 hours of more life.

I do text about 500 times per day and I browse the net for a good hour.
    Sorry OT, but: 500 a day!?!?! wow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast