Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1.    #1  
    I'm a bit of a newbie...So, other then the price - what is the advantage of waiting for the cingular 750 0r unlocked palm one, over buying the 750v?
  2. #2  
    Price and warranty support. To get the 750v in the U.S. you need to get it from an importer. It's unclear if Palm will honor the warranty on it if it breaks. Technically right now you would probably have to send it to Palm in Europe or Asia to get it fixed. Stupid, but true.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3. burnsaa's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    #3  
    I too am a bit of a newbie.. But also I think you will have the hsdpa speeds because the hope is that cingular will enable this when they release it. not to say that if you have the vodafone version you cant upgrade but if super fast internet is what your about then wouldnt it just make sense to save a couple / few hundred bucks and wait it out. Like I said im a newbie so I could be wrong. Mostly for me its the money otherwise I would have bought the vodafone one by now. Stupid Cingular you know that palm was wanting to release it earlier but im guessing cingular is retarded and screwed something up. I assume this because of the release that palm put out about their profits not being as high as they expected due to the delay in release. sorry I just have to vent Ive been waiting months for this phone and then last week they released the 680 and the cingular 750 is still nowhere to be seen.
  4. #4  
    It's unknown whether the Cingular version will have HSDPA at launch or not. Most of the rumors are saying it will not have it only UMTS and that it will be enabled by an update in March.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    It's unknown whether the Cingular version will have HSDPA at launch or not. Most of the rumors are saying it will not have it only UMTS and that it will be enabled by an update in March.
    After reading through some of the forums about the 680 bugging; lagging, sound issues, some crashes...I wodering if the first 750 (for Cingular as well) might not be a little twitchy. From what I've read here the 750 Vodaphone appears to be stable out of the box. I would certainly pay extra couple hundred for that. Especially if HSPDA is going to possibly be update rather then in the first release. (I live in LA and don't think HSPDA is plentiful in the So Cal.)
  6. #6  
    I don't think the 680 issues being reported really have anything to do with Cingular. It's the typical new Palm OS device release, where people load up all the junk they have on it and it becomes unstable. Especially apps that need to be updated for new devices (seems like most apps require this lately).

    To be honest, unless you are prepared to throw the money away if the 750v breaks there's alot to be said for waiting for the Cingular release. Mine's been working fine so far. But if it stopped working tomorrow, getting it fixed would likely be a nightmare.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I don't think the 680 issues being reported really have anything to do with Cingular. It's the typical new Palm OS device release, where people load up all the junk they have on it and it becomes unstable. Especially apps that need to be updated for new devices (seems like most apps require this lately).

    To be honest, unless you are prepared to throw the money away if the 750v breaks there's alot to be said for waiting for the Cingular release. Mine's been working fine so far. But if it stopped working tomorrow, getting it fixed would likely be a nightmare.
    I've had three 650's. One with Verizon and two with Cingular (one of those unlocked from palm) and I found the unlocked one the most relaible of the three - Perhaps because it had the most recent update on it. However, I certainly see your point about getting the 750v and then breaking it...And being out $300> I'm curious why you decided to buy the V? Either way, appreciate the advice.
  8. #8  
    I bought the 750v because I loved the form factor (loved it even more when I got it), wanted a true world phone (world-wide GSM & UMTS), and was betting that it was going to take Cingular a longtime to get theirs out. I've had it since mid-October so I've already gotten about 45 days out of it so far with no Cingular release yet. I will also say the Vodaphone branding is extremely minimal. There is a small classy vodaphone logo on the front and back of the Treo. That's it. No Vodaphone logos on startup or shutdown. It's almost like a completely unbranded device. It's easily the best looking most classy Treo model ever.

    I think it's an excellent device. To be honest I don't like WM5 very much I still prefer Palm OS. My biggest issue with it is that it and my car's bluetooth don't like each other much. I get constant problems with the connection. I can make it work but it's like playing russian roulette. Other than that it has worked well.

    I'm also trying a 680 right now. To be honest I have very mixed feeling about it. It is similar in form factor, but the 750 just feels like a much higher quality product except for the nice screen on the 680.

    I think it comes down to when Cingular releases it. Some rumors say January, some December. If you don't have an urgent need, I'd almost recommend you get a 680 to play with (you have 30 days to bring it back). If you're lucky the 750 will come out before the 30 days is up and you can exchange it for that if you want.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Price and warranty support. To get the 750v in the U.S. you need to get it from an importer. It's unclear if Palm will honor the warranty on it if it breaks. Technically right now you would probably have to send it to Palm in Europe or Asia to get it fixed. Stupid, but true.
    I read the warranty material last night that came with my 750v and nowhere does it say that it must be returned to Europe for service. It seems to mention the US more than Europe actually :P It gave me the impression that it could be serviced Palm wherever you are.
    Palm Treo 750v
    Running on Three Australia
    1GB miniSD - Bluetooth GPS - Nokia CK-1W Car-Kit
  10. #10  
    It might but I doubt it. I bought an unlocked Treo 600 from an importer when they were first released. At that time only the Cingular version was sold in the U.S., the unlocked was released months later. The one I had, had a bad screen. I called Palm about getting an exchange or fix. They insisted the product didn't exist even though I could read them the serial number. The best they could offer was to exchange it for a Cingular version. That wasn't useful since I wanted to use it with T-Mobile.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  11. #11  
    I might give Palm a call and see what they say.
    Palm Treo 750v
    Running on Three Australia
    1GB miniSD - Bluetooth GPS - Nokia CK-1W Car-Kit
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    It might but I doubt it. I bought an unlocked Treo 600 from an importer when they were first released. At that time only the Cingular version was sold in the U.S., the unlocked was released months later. The one I had, had a bad screen. I called Palm about getting an exchange or fix. They insisted the product didn't exist even though I could read them the serial number. The best they could offer was to exchange it for a Cingular version. That wasn't useful since I wanted to use it with T-Mobile.
    Ummm. I dont have money to afford vodafone unlocked Treo750v but if I was in your place and if there was any problem with my treo750v I would just go to Palm official store and fight over fixing it there. Yeah I would make up story about moved back to USA few months ago blah blah but, yes I think if there is major issue with device and it is still under warranty, you should get replacement device of the same brand (vodafone, which is difficult) or unbranded one (when its released).
    Again I only wish I had money to check 750 out. Alas.
    I was wondering if there is any service that can work on surface of 700p or 650 and make it rubbery like 750v? And I am not talking about Egrips.
    Also, did anyone tried Shieldzone fullbody Invisible shield? Is it grippy?
    Thanks in advance.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

    The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  13. #13  
    Does 3g speed work with the unlocked Vodaphone?? Just curious because if it does, I may just splurge!!
  14. #14  
    Of course it does. The Treo 750v is a standard 3G phone locked to vodafone. When you unlock it, it will work fine on any GSM and UMTS carrier.
    Palm Treo 750v
    Running on Three Australia
    1GB miniSD - Bluetooth GPS - Nokia CK-1W Car-Kit
  15. #15  
    There are no Palm stores in my state or even within 500 miles of here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Ummm. I dont have money to afford vodafone unlocked Treo750v but if I was in your place and if there was any problem with my treo750v I would just go to Palm official store and fight over fixing it there. Yeah I would make up story about moved back to USA few months ago blah blah but, yes I think if there is major issue with device and it is still under warranty, you should get replacement device of the same brand (vodafone, which is difficult) or unbranded one (when its released).
    Again I only wish I had money to check 750 out. Alas.
    I was wondering if there is any service that can work on surface of 700p or 650 and make it rubbery like 750v? And I am not talking about Egrips.
    Also, did anyone tried Shieldzone fullbody Invisible shield? Is it grippy?
    Thanks in advance.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I bought the 750v because I loved the form factor (loved it even more when I got it), wanted a true world phone (world-wide GSM & UMTS), and was betting that it was going to take Cingular a longtime to get theirs out. I've had it since mid-October so I've already gotten about 45 days out of it so far with no Cingular release yet. I will also say the Vodaphone branding is extremely minimal. There is a small classy vodaphone logo on the front and back of the Treo. That's it. No Vodaphone logos on startup or shutdown. It's almost like a completely unbranded device. It's easily the best looking most classy Treo model ever.

    I think it's an excellent device. To be honest I don't like WM5 very much I still prefer Palm OS. My biggest issue with it is that it and my car's bluetooth don't like each other much. I get constant problems with the connection. I can make it work but it's like playing russian roulette. Other than that it has worked well.

    I'm also trying a 680 right now. To be honest I have very mixed feeling about it. It is similar in form factor, but the 750 just feels like a much higher quality product except for the nice screen on the 680.

    I think it comes down to when Cingular releases it. Some rumors say January, some December. If you don't have an urgent need, I'd almost recommend you get a 680 to play with (you have 30 days to bring it back). If you're lucky the 750 will come out before the 30 days is up and you can exchange it for that if you want.
    Very helpful, thanks. A few posts i've read note the feel of the 750 (whether weight or the case polish) as being more refined device. You've had (have) both devices and the 650, I assume...Is there anything specific about the difference in screen resolution...iE. where you can really "see" the difference. I've never seen a 700w close up. I guess I should probably go to my local palm store (only 2 miles away) and take a look. I was just wondering if there was any specific app or screen view to compare with or am I looking at this the wrong way. (No pun intented.)
  17. #17  
    The Palm OS screens are "better" but the WM5 screens aren't as bad as the 240x240 resolution sounds. In general for web browsing you will see more info on screen since the 240 is more of a native resolution. 320x320 on most Palm OS apps is really a scaled up 160x160 native resolution. And if an app tries to use 320x320 "native" then the fonts and everything are too small. Photos do look better on the 680 though. The biggest thing is the WM5 device screen tend to be not as bright and not as vivid colors. Though alot depends on the individual screen. I've seen lots of 700w screens that were dim and yellow. I've seen a few that were white and much better. The 750v I have is very slightly red tinted but better brightness than most 700w or 700wx screens I've seen. It's not as good as the 680/700p but it's pretty good.

    As far as comparing specific views it's hard to say. The contacts on WM5 don't show as much info on a screen, but they are more colorful and useful. If you go into a contact on WM5 and select a number you can dial from right there. On Palm OS you can dial from the contact list but not from in the contact itself. The WM5 calendar sucks eggs. The new Agenda One calendar (by DeveloperOne) is much much better and the one I've settled on for WM5. Maybe the best thing to use would be IE. You can see how much text on the screen and how it better format pages. One tip, by default IE losses half it's space to stupid menus and stuff. I always use it in full screen mode and it's much better.

    Quote Originally Posted by simplephone View Post
    Very helpful, thanks. A few posts i've read note the feel of the 750 (whether weight or the case polish) as being more refined device. You've had (have) both devices and the 650, I assume...Is there anything specific about the difference in screen resolution...iE. where you can really "see" the difference. I've never seen a 700w close up. I guess I should probably go to my local palm store (only 2 miles away) and take a look. I was just wondering if there was any specific app or screen view to compare with or am I looking at this the wrong way. (No pun intented.)
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The Palm OS screens are "better" but the WM5 screens aren't as bad as the 240x240 resolution sounds. In general for web browsing you will see more info on screen since the 240 is more of a native resolution. 320x320 on most Palm OS apps is really a scaled up 160x160 native resolution. And if an app tries to use 320x320 "native" then the fonts and everything are too small. Photos do look better on the 680 though. The biggest thing is the WM5 device screen tend to be not as bright and not as vivid colors. Though alot depends on the individual screen. I've seen lots of 700w screens that were dim and yellow. I've seen a few that were white and much better. The 750v I have is very slightly red tinted but better brightness than most 700w or 700wx screens I've seen. It's not as good as the 680/700p but it's pretty good.

    As far as comparing specific views it's hard to say. The contacts on WM5 don't show as much info on a screen, but they are more colorful and useful. If you go into a contact on WM5 and select a number you can dial from right there. On Palm OS you can dial from the contact list but not from in the contact itself. The WM5 calendar sucks eggs. The new Agenda One calendar (by DeveloperOne) is much much better and the one I've settled on for WM5. Maybe the best thing to use would be IE. You can see how much text on the screen and how it better format pages. One tip, by default IE losses half it's space to stupid menus and stuff. I always use it in full screen mode and it's much better.
    great stuff, thanks. I going over to the local cingular store to p/u a 680. Give it a whirl...My concerns going in our that the Cam is worse then the 650 and that I will yearn for the HSPDA, once it's active in SoCal. But I guess that's what returns are for. I'm a retired PC user, who has been using Mac's for almost a decade and I was getting a craving for a Windows feel in my Treo but perhaps that will dissapate.
  19. #19  
    Unless my memory is bad (I sold my 650 a couple of months ago), I think the 680 has the resolution camera as the 650. It's claimed to be better at low light stuff.

    Be prepared for worse battery life than the 650. That's the problem with a smaller battery. But you will face that issue on the 750 also.

    Quote Originally Posted by simplephone View Post
    great stuff, thanks. I going over to the local cingular store to p/u a 680. Give it a whirl...My concerns going in our that the Cam is worse then the 650 and that I will yearn for the HSPDA, once it's active in SoCal. But I guess that's what returns are for. I'm a retired PC user, who has been using Mac's for almost a decade and I was getting a craving for a Windows feel in my Treo but perhaps that will dissapate.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Unless my memory is bad (I sold my 650 a couple of months ago), I think the 680 has the resolution camera as the 650. It's claimed to be better at low light stuff.

    Be prepared for worse battery life than the 650. That's the problem with a smaller battery. But you will face that issue on the 750 also.
    I just spent my self imposed lunch break at Cingular (for those in La...they appear to have several 680's in stock @ Western and Wilshire). I spent an hour futzing with the 680 in the store and just didn't feel all that new to me. Beyond REALLY liking the new keys and the form factor change. The phone interface feels a bit too "cell phone" like and ...It just felt like a completely lateral move from the 650...The question is can I wait for Cingular to release the 750. I'm thinking, not a chance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions