Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so these are posted at PPCGeeks.com but I figured I'd post them here since they are so good.

I can't stress enough
    : These tweaks are awesome. Especially 2 and 3 will make web browsing even faster and number one makes volume changing much more natural.

(1) Stop the annoying beeps when you change volume during a call (from fantastic_mr_q). I love this one.
    Use a registry editor to change the following values (If your not comfortable with this ask for help and we will write a guide for you)

HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\LoudestInCallVolume
    HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\QuietestInCallVolume
    HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\StandardInCallVolume

within each of these keys the default 'Script' value is 'p' for 'play'

Change the 'Script' value to blank (erase the 'p')

No more annoying beeps and the volume changes quicker! YAY
    (2) Increase "Maximum number of concurrent connections" in PIE

I set both to 25.

One of the most common and effective tweaks for web browsers on the desktop is also possible for IE on WM5. Stored in the registry are two keys which tell Internet Explorer how many connections it should make to a server when downloading a web page. They define the "Maximum number of concurrent connections" and they're just itching for a tune-up.

By [Creating] the following [DWord] key:

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/MaxRequestThreads = 5

to a value higher than the default (5) will enable greater bandwidth saturation during page download and a noticable improvement in page load time. I took a guess and raised the MaxThreads to 10 and have had no problems (thus far).

[Update] Also, you will want to add the dword value:

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/MaxConnectionsPerServer

(3)
    Change DNS Servers for Web browsing (greatly speeds up browsing)
    - From the Start Menu, select 'Settings', then select the 'Connections' tab
    - Select the 'Connections' option
    - Select 'Manage Existing Connections' option
    - Highlight your main Internet connection, and click edit (Power Vision)
    - Click 'Edit'
    - Click 'Next'
    - Click 'Next' (do not touch these settings!)
    - Click 'Advanced', do not touch your User Name/Password

Now select 'Servers' Tab

- Use specfic server address

Enter in:

DNS: 208.67.222.222

Alt DNS: 208.67.220.220

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Very nice Malatesta. I just did the DNS servers at work, and I notice an increase in speed. A 1mb file from dsl reports came in at 877 kbit/sec
    Jimmie Geddes
  3.    #3  
    well, I should clarify: you probably just got lucky on that.

DNS servers won't incrase bandwidth, just the rate at which web pages are resolved (or found) since DNS is the process of converting www.google.com to it's IP address: the faster the DNS servers, the quicker that process is performed. Waiting for a slow DNS look-up results in the "finding" status message (or something similar).

So although that's an awesome speed, DNS won't really help there. But it does help with "clicking links" since it'll connect and find those pages waaay faster, hence make browsing "faster".

The Increase Max connections will allows more downloading of page content which will also make things "faster" but won't reflect on a Speed Test since that's usually a singular process.

Lucky or not, it feels faster,lol. It's all good to me. Thanks.
    Jimmie Geddes
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Lucky or not, it feels faster,lol. It's all good to me. Thanks.
    np.

Yeah, on day to day surfing, it'll feel much much faster. In fact, it now feels like what a True EvDo device should feel like, imo. All of these little things like DNS lookup, max connections, can cause 'bottlenecks' in the system.

I'm trying to apply the max number of connections. When I get to:
    HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/

I don't have /MaxRequestThreads = 5

Do I make a new dword value and just insert that whole eg. value of:

I'm trying to get good with reg. edits, but don't want to mess anything up. Thanks in advance.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I don't see MaxRequestThreads & MaxConnectionsPerServer under HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/
  8.    #8  
    You won't see that key, which is why it says this ;-)

By [Creating] the following [DWord] key:

Except you won't have the value of 5, change it to something like 20 or 25.

Ok Malatesta I don't mean to be a pain Where do you create that dword key. I'm using resco registry. Do I create it while in

Then>menu>new DWORD Value> and add on /MaxRequestThreads = 5?
    Jimmie Geddes
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Ok Malatesta I don't mean to be a pain Where do you create that dword key. I'm using resco registry. Do I create it while in

Then>menu>new DWORD Value> and add on /MaxRequestThreads = 5?
    lol, it's okay.

Yup, just do that. Except under DWORD Data, put in 20 or 25 or something higher than 4. People have done 125 with no problems (though with no huge benefit either).

It should look like this:

Name
    MaxRequestThreads

DWORD Data

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    It definitely is faster. How do you get into the registery editor on the phone itself?
    Thanks Mal.. then what's HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/MaxConnectionsPerServer for? and what's the value for MaxConnectionsPerServer?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #2 works well on my 700W.

Not sure on the DNS thing though. Can someone clarify - isn't the speed of a DNS essentially down to how many people are pinging it at any given time? i.e. granted right now the DNS ID's you have just listed might be fast, but as soon as the whole of TC community starts using them, they'll slow down. If everyone just stuck to their own DNS then we'd all be happy. And anyway, am I correct in thinking Sprint DNS's will not work from a Verizon phone and vice versa? Any suggestions on good Verizon DNS's?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    #2 works well on my 700W.

Not sure on the DNS thing though. Can someone clarify - isn't the speed of a DNS essentially down to how many people are pinging it at any given time? i.e. granted right now the DNS ID's you have just listed might be fast, but as soon as the whole of TC community starts using them, they'll slow down. If everyone just stuck to their own DNS then we'd all be happy. And anyway, am I correct in thinking Sprint DNS's will not work from a Verizon phone and vice versa? Any suggestions on good Verizon DNS's?
    This isn't the case here. These DNS servers are provided by www.opendns.com and I suggest you read about them and why this won't be an issue (hint: this is all they are dedicated to doing and they encourage everyone to use them).

These settings work on ANYTHING including you home PC (through a router). Verizon, Tmobile, a Dash, a Treo...doesn't matter. Fact is most ISPs including Sprint and Verizon have slow, crappy DNS servers.

Dinomon
    : one setting is how many connections should PIE make to other servers (i.e. 25 servers) the other is how many per server, on top of that.

Whois for the DNS server - 208.67.222.222
    OrgName: Freedom Networks LLC
    OrgID: FNL-6
    Address: 50 Freemont St.
    Address: 16 Floor
    City: San Francisco
    StateProv: CA
    PostalCode: 94105

Why would we use this server over the Sprint or VZW ones?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
    Whois for the DNS server - 208.67.222.222
    OrgName: Freedom Networks LLC
    OrgID: FNL-6
    Address: 50 Freemont St.
    Address: 16 Floor
    City: San Francisco
    StateProv: CA
    PostalCode: 94105

Why would we use this server over the Sprint or VZW ones?
    ummmm...because I told you to? duh...

Actually, out of curiosity did you read the info at www.opendns.com that I noted above? You could have saved me a lot of time but instead I'll do the work for you.

It's faster.

Of course if you just try it, you'd notice this instantly. But shoot, you don't have to use OpenDNS. Have a better server that's near you and is faster? Use that then. Figured I'd save the time of figuring out everyone's location and a local DNS server and instead post this.

Two things make OpenDNS faster than similar services. First, OpenDNS runs a really big, smart cache, so every OpenDNS user benefits from the activities of the broader OpenDNS user base. Second, OpenDNS runs a high-performance network which is geographically distributed (see network map) and serviced by several redundant connections. OpenDNS responds to your query from the nearest location. That means we're very fast (and extremely reliable, to boot).
    Had you read their site, you'd notice that they have a distributed DNS network that's geographically spread out:

AWESOME hacks... totally excellent... but I was wondering, would these kinds of changes have any ramifications on overall battery life? Anyone notice anything yet?
    END OF LINE
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    AWESOME hacks... totally excellent... but I was wondering, would these kinds of changes have any ramifications on overall battery life? Anyone notice anything yet?
    no, none at all. DNS is DNS so it uses it one way or another, it's just a matter of which server (Sprints, OpenDNS, Level3, etc).

The maxconnections is only used when using PIE: can't imagine it affecting battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    no, none at all. DNS is DNS so it uses it one way or another, it's just a matter of which server (Sprints, OpenDNS, Level3, etc).

The maxconnections is only used when using PIE: can't imagine it affecting battery life.
    Cool - I just did the regedits for PIE, and it's RIDICULOUSLY fast. I haven't even gotten to the DNS yet. Thanks again, Mal - great grab!

I was thinking, too - the DNS change means that any program (such as a map or other that pulls data, even the beloved WeatherPanel) can access that info faster, no?
    Last edited by Alienwhere; 11/29/2006 at 05:16 PM.
    END OF LINE
    Great hacks Mal!

I had also posted a DNS speed hack I had found with the following servers...

DNS: 4.2.2.1
    Alt DNS: 4.2.2.2

Depending on where you are located these may or may not work better than the ones you posted.

I suggest everyone give each a try to see which is better for their location.

On a side note, I have also noticed that Opera loads pages much quicker that PIE. Although Opera is not free, I thinks it's definitely worth the $24 bucks they charge.

Thanks again!
    Joe Fallico
    Commodity Futures Broker

Insignia Futures & Options, Inc.

InsigniaFutures.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast