1.    #1  
    I was a happy user of the Treo 600 and the 650. The calculator toggled to conversions/scientific/trig/financial etc. With my new 700wx, the calculator
    is archaic (plus, minus, multiply, divide and ooh......hold your breath...MEMORY). Sorry, I need an x^y button and amortization schedules.
    The 700wx manual suggests using Excel - hah!!

I have downloaded "Pocketcalc", "1-Calc" and a freeware "Calcod231". I can't get ANY of them to work.

I get ""1-calcPPC302ful" is not a valid Pocket PC application", "PocketCalc_Setup is not a valid Pocket PC application", and so on. I have tried downloading it directly to the phone, and to the PC (especially when it was a ZIP file).

I went to my local SPRINT store. After tolerating a convincing round of "it's all Bill Gates fault" and then making it their problem, the head tech guys were confused and frustrated.

HELP! Should I just swap for a 700p and be done with it? Or am I missing something simple???
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    RINT store. After tolerating a convincing round of "it's all Bill Gates fault" and then making it their problem, the head tech guys were confused and frustrated.

HELP! Should I just swap for a 700p and be done with it? Or am I missing something simple???
    Try KoolCalc:
    http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...-v1-00-02.html

If you can't get that to work then return your device and go back to the 700Pee.

Honestly, if you're having that much trouble installing simple apps, this device is too much for you.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    OK. So I removed my 2-Gig SanDisk Ultra II card, and conveniently placed it
    into the ready-and-able side slot of my new Sony Vaio.

I then downloaded and saved the "KoolCalc Light...exe" file directly to the card.

I removed the card from he Viao, placed it back into my Treo, and accessed "KoolCalcSetup.exe". I received a "KoolCalcSetup is not a valid Pocket PC application".

BTW, although I am not a programmer, I have been working with computers since punch cards.

I'll be happy to be missing something stupid.
    If these files are zip files you will need to have a program that will unzip them on your phone, try resco or total commander.
    You have to run those exes on your PC/laptop while having the PPC connected via activesync.
  6.    #6  
    Veronicamays,

The KoolCalc program mentioned above was not a zip file.
    The "1-Calc" and the freeware "Calcod231" were zipped, which I was aware of. I downloaded those to the PC, unzipped them, then moved the files to to phone, in accordance with the directions in the attached wordpad files.

Thanks, and again, I'll be happy to admit I'm doing something really dumb.
    No ego here....just need a solution.
    OK. So I removed my 2-Gig SanDisk Ultra II card, and conveniently placed it
    into the ready-and-able side slot of my new Sony Vaio.

I then downloaded and saved the "KoolCalc Light...exe" file directly to the card.

I removed the card from he Viao, placed it back into my Treo, and accessed "KoolCalcSetup.exe". I received a "KoolCalcSetup is not a valid Pocket PC application".

BTW, although I am not a programmer, I have been working with computers since punch cards.

I'll be happy to be missing something stupid.
    You are missing something obvious:

If you ever get this message:

"KoolCalcSetup is not a valid Pocket PC application".

It's true, it's not a valid Pocket PC application! It's not lying to you, it's not trying to trick you. It means it cannot run on the PocketPC.

So it has to run on something though? Maybe your PC?

Do you have ActiveSync set up on your PC computer? You need that to install this program.

Think of it as Hotsyncing a .PRC file. No different. Ditch the Card reader, connect your device up via USB, sync up and then run Setup and behold the glory...

I didnt get this whole deal right off the bat either. Thank goodness last year when I got my first PPC Purth was here at TC ready to answer all my questions. Of course they are right. Its rare that you DL an exe that is meant to be dropped on the PPC rather than ran from the PC. Usually you run the ap from the PC and it transfers the file to the PPC via AS.

I do have 2 apps that are just exe's I run on the PPC. The are task manager and that great little reset exe that came with some other app relating to SMS from XDA.

If you have any more trouble but dont want to post your questions feel free to PM them to me.
    ......hold your breath...MEMORY
    LOL! I was crackin up at that! HAHAHA
    Aegis,
    It is real simple:

If a file is an .exe file it installs from your PC using activesync. Just download it to your PC connect your treo to your computer with a usb cable and let activesync connect to your treo and sync. Once you get the connected message from activesync, locate the .exe file you downloaded and double click on it. This will start the setup program and install it on your treo through the activesync program.

If the file is a .cab file, you load this onto your SD card or your treo's memory and select it with file explorer on your treo. This will start the install process.

Here is the hard part, almost all of the zipping (winzip, stuffit, winrar, etc) software available for your PC will identify a .cab file as a zip file. You can use detail view to confirm that the file is a .zip or a .cab file. You only want to extract a file if it is a .zip file so you can get to the .cab file. Do not extract a .cab file. Your treo won't recognize the files inside of the .cab file unless it extracts the files as part of the installation.
    exe= install from PC

cab= install straight from device

Does everyone need to tell us how smart they are before asking a question? (just a random thought, please disregard)
    If you want the best calc on your WM5 Treo, check out HiCalc. It's sweet, but unfortunately its not free.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  13.    #13  
    Thanks everyone for their help. I did, in the end, get my friggin' calculator.
    Cruise350..thanks. Now I get this...
    Littlepat...I only stuck up for myself when I was told by Malstrom that I wasn't smart enough to handle this device.
    Stroths..Thanks...I'll look at that one.

For now, Palm software is still better than Microsoft, but now I may refrain a bit longer from throwing my wx out onto the Interstate....
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis
    Littlepat...I only stuck up for myself when I was told by Malstrom that I wasn't smart enough to handle this device.

I still think you should return it and stick with PalmOS or at least have more patience for things.

I mean you took it to a Sprint store (!) to install a simple program instead of reading page 86 or 87 of the User Manual ("Installing Applications") or googled "installing software ppc" and variants, which comes up with tons of hits like this one.

Or how about searching this forum and finding a thread called "Newbie - installing programs"

Or Palm's help section? They have this page: Installing add-on applications to a Windows Mobile smartphone.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/28/2006 at 08:15 PM.

Palm software is still better than Microsoft
    better? I don't know.
    different? definitely.

with an optimistic attitude only time will tell if it's for you.

for now... welcome Aegis.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    If you want the best calc on your WM5 Treo, check out HiCalc. It's sweet, but unfortunately its not free.

Holy this HiCalc does RPN. Oh I am in love!!! A HP Calculator on my Pocket PC.
    This is a cool free calculator for PPC. It may not have all the scientific functions some of you are looking for but it does have a tip calculator.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...lications.mspx