1.    #1  
    the Treo 750v is listed as having a 240x240 screen,
    whereas the 680 is listed at 320x320...

what's up with this difference - why the lesser screen on the more $ phone?
    The standard for Windows Mobile 5 is a screen resolution width of 240 pixels. The square orientation of the Treo screen (and some of the other newer devices) requires a 240x240 screen under WinMob5.

Palm OS originally used a 160x160 square screen. Later the resolution was doubled to 320x320.

The difference in resolution is a result of the difference in standards between the two operating systems. WinMob 5 CAN have higher resolution (but not 320x320...that isn't supported). The next step up in supported resolution would be 480x480, but no OEMs have supported that resolution yet.

As for why the 750v costs more... Actually both phones probably cost about the same to make, but the carriers (operators) suppliment the prices differently based on the markets that the phones were meant for.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  3.    #3  
    thanks, useful background.

so the Blackjack, (windows mobile) being 320x240 is a 'better' screen because its not a square format, and can have more definition?

seems weird to be paying ~$750 (unlocked) for a 240x240 screen on Treo750, and $400 for a 320x320 Screen on Treo 680.

makes me think the 680 may be the better buy, even though its not 3G...
    the screen is pretty damn important after all.
    Screen resolution is measured as width x length. So in the case of the Blackjack the screen resolution is 240x320 (240 pixels wide by 320 pixels long)...the same width as the Treo 750v. Therefore, you won't see better definition in text or graphics (just more text lines on the Blackjack due to the increased number of pixel lines).

To truly have more "definition" you need to have increased resolution on both axis. A Treo running Palm OS supporting 320x320 has higher resolution on both axis (and therefore better definition in the way letters are formed). You won't see a difference in how the letters are formed when comparing a WinMob5 Treo to a WinMob5 Blackjack.

It's a matter of personal preference, but to be honest, the screen resolution difference between 240 and 320 is not as crucial as one would think. It really all depends on how you use the phone.

The debate into which OS is better is one that I won't get into. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Your mileage may vary.

Oh, and regarding the difference in unlocked prices... You've got to attribute some of that to the fact that you're dealing with two different operators (one of which would have to be imported into the U.S.). I assume you are in the U.S.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  5.    #5  
    but more text lines on screen means less scrolling, right?
    so its a little more useful for most quick viewings

yes different OS's are a different kettle of fish...

yes I am in the US, I was simply taking toe Palm unlocked price for the 680 and guessing the 750 at what seems the expected price.
    the 750 is definitely more expensive for Palm than the 680. WM5 probably costs more to license. Besides that, the Triband UMTS/Quadband GSM radio is more expensive and so is the 1.3mp camera (although the camera isn't much of a difference price-wise). Also, small things like the rubberized paint adds to Palm's cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Screen resolution is measured as width x length. So in the case of the Blackjack the screen resolution is 240x320 (240 pixels wide by 320 pixels long)...the same width as the Treo 750v. Therefore, you won't see better definition in text or graphics (just more text lines on the Blackjack due to the increased number of pixel lines).

To truly have more "definition" you need to have increased resolution on both axis. A Treo running Palm OS supporting 320x320 has higher resolution on both axis (and therefore better definition in the way letters are formed). You won't see a difference in how the letters are formed when comparing a WinMob5 Treo to a WinMob5 Blackjack.

It's a matter of personal preference, but to be honest, the screen resolution difference between 240 and 320 is not as crucial as one would think. It really all depends on how you use the phone.

The debate into which OS is better is one that I won't get into. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Your mileage may vary.

Oh, and regarding the difference in unlocked prices... You've got to attribute some of that to the fact that you're dealing with two different operators (one of which would have to be imported into the U.S.). I assume you are in the U.S.
    I jumped from the Treo 650 to the 8125 and the lesser resolution didn't bother me. Its just an excuse Palm OS lovers use to justify their continued use of an aging OS.