Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    News reports are saying the 750 is having trouble getting certification. Not clear if this refers to operator certification or FCC, but I assume the former.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    News reports are saying the 750 is having trouble getting certification. Not clear if this refers to operator certification or FCC, but I assume the former.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44
    its already been cleared by the FCC..............
    I think I remember that article about 3 months back or so.

Where does it say anything about the 750? Am I missing something?
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    here is a quote from Ed Colligan "However, our Q2 FY07 revenue will be constrained by a delay in certification of a key product. We now expect to start shipping the Treo 750 for the U.S. market early in Q3 FY07. Our Treo 750v launch in Europe is doing quite well, and we expect international revenue for Q2 FY07 to be strong." Here is the link to the press release
    http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=219804

So does this mean that we wont be seeing a 750 from cingular for 7-9 months? well that 750v on ebay is looking like a better option to me. My main question is what certification are they talking about because from what I understand they already have the FCC certification or at least that is what I read at engadget http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/1...es-fcc-muster/
    Fiscal Year (FY) doesn't necessarily align with calendar year (CY). I don't remember their schedule but I think their Q3 FY2007 is January - March 2007.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    If you read the Ed Colligan article it says that their Q2 FY07 ends on December 1st. Which means that the Q3 FY07 starts on this Friday.

"SUNNYVALE, Calif., Nov 27, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq: PALM) today updated financial guidance for the second quarter of fiscal year 2007, ending Dec. 1. Full results will be reported Dec. 19."

I think the article is referring to the past rather than the future. Palm is letting investors know that the current quarter, which ends on Thursday, will not be as rosey as they expected because of a delay in FCC certification. The certification has passed but the phone sales that were expected to help Palms earnings will not occur until sometime in Q3 FY07, which again starts on Friday, December 1st. So we could still see a Palm Treo 750 out for Cingular and and unlocked version before Christmas.

Ed from Palm also states "We now expect to start shipping the Treo 750 for the U.S. market early in Q3 FY07". Which would lead me to believe that the release is coming very soon.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info about fiscal year vs calender year I was freakin out over here thinking Im going to have to either spend $750 or wait half a year. Im still interested in knowing what the certification delay is I cant see how the fcc certification could be it because the 750 was approved 1 day before the 680.
    I think that the FCC certification that came through a couple of weeks ago was the delayed certification that Palm was complaining about. I think they were hoping for a certification in late September or Early October. Not November. I have no idea what the delay could have been.
    I didn't expect to see the 750 officially for the US until next year. January would be good!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Tomorrow would be better
    this article is saying that cingular 's certification is the reason of the delay

http://news.com.com/Treo+delay+dents...ht&tag=nl.e433
    "New cell phones require approval from the Federal Communications Commission before they can be sold in the U.S. Individual cellular carriers also have their own certification processes. The Treo 750 appears to have received FCC approval on November 8, according to the agency's Web site.

A Palm representative said the delay refers to approval from its initial U.S. carrier. Palm did not name the carrier in question, although various enthusiast sites have posted pictures of a Cingular-branded Treo 750 and Cingular itself has included the Treo 750 on a rebate form posted on its Web site. "
    I hear the Cingular ROM has some problems. I hope they fix it soon. However, Palm could still release the unlocked version like they did with the 680, when the 3 months for Vodafone is up. But I think that is still January.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I've got a 750v for sale!
    Brandon
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    So I guess that would put it at Jan.3rd hmm I dont know if I can wait that long sparkomatic how much you selling yours for?
    Well their quarter starts 12/1, so it could be anytime after that.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsaa View Post
    So I guess that would put it at Jan.3rd hmm I dont know if I can wait that long sparkomatic how much you selling yours for?
    Just sent you a PM...
    Brandon
    Honestly, I'd make sure Palm will honor any warranties before buying a phone from a private individual. Since the Vodafone isn't really for the US, Palm could weasel out of it. This is another thing that has kept me from buying those unlocked Voda's online. If something goes wrong, how do I get made whole again?

But let me make clear, this isn't against private individuals selling, it's about Palm weaseling out of warranties. As they did with one poster who bought a Treo from an outside source and Palm refused to service it.

Palm CEO Ed Colligan said:

"Smartphone sell-through across our existing products is strong, reflecting solid business fundamentals in the face of significant competitive pressure. However, our Q2 FY07 revenue will be constrained by a delay in certification of a key product. We now expect to start shipping the Treo 750 for the U.S. market early in Q3 FY07. Our Treo 750v launch in Europe is doing quite well, and we expect international revenue for Q2 FY07 to be strong."

Read the full article here:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4009
    is the FY Palm's fiscal year? is that fiscal year a 7/1 to 6/30 fiscal year? when does their fy begin? it might be earlier than we expect as a lot of tech companies have mid-year fiscal ends.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73 View Post
    is the FY Palm's fiscal year? is that fiscal year a 7/1 to 6/30 fiscal year? when does their fy begin? it might be earlier than we expect as a lot of tech companies have mid-year fiscal ends.
    Palm's Q2 ends this week, so Q3 begins in December for Palm. Early Q3 release = Dec-Jan timeframe.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast