Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FYI, I'm trying out a 680. I probably will stay with the 750, but I've posted some initial comparisons here: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...47#post1133847
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I bought the 750v a month ago but I can't get used to WM. I won't sell it since I need 3G for when I go to Japan but I do have a 680 on order. I love the simplicity of Palm vs. WM. And, the resolution is so much better with the 650/680. But, the deciding factor was Chatteremail. There's nothing that comes close in WM. I just hope that WM gets better with the next version since I assume the 680 will be the last Palm OS based Treo.
    I agree with you on this one. I've been using the 750v for the last few weeks and it's nowhere as enjoyable an experience as my treo 650 I gave up for this. It's little things like how the D-pad won't move from text in the screen to selecting the icons at the bottom (say in messaging). I'm not bothered about 3G or multi-tasking really. I want a device that can enable me to use medical software whilst on the hospital wards and let me access it quickly. Doing that with the 750v is really not practical at all. A good screen, quick data entry combined with the ability to make phone calls/texts in one device.

Looks like my current feeling is to pick up a 680.
    I have the 750 and find wm5 too unstable and fiddly. I recently bought the 680 and I love it. its like a better version of the 650 without memory issues and great form factor of 750. finally the frustration of wm5 is over. I can relax again.

it was a PLEASURE putting the 750 back in its box to be sold as fast as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    I have the 750 and find wm5 too unstable and fiddly. I recently bought the 680 and I love it. its like a better version of the 650 without memory issues and great form factor of 750. finally the frustration of wm5 is over. I can relax again.

it was a PLEASURE putting the 750 back in its box to be sold as fast as possible.

Can you PM me how much you want it to go?

thanks
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post

"With great power comes great responsibility" - Peter Parker's Uncle Ben.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I have never found WM5 to be unstable. I'm confused about some of the statements here.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I honestly think that some people just don't know how to use WM 5, or they just don't want to give it the time of day to learn how to use it. Some people just like to stick to what they know, they don't like change. IMHO
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Hmmm. I got my hands on my old treo 650 today and had a play comparing it with my 750v. Having spent the time and got used to how the 750v works, going back to the 650 was quite a shock. Not sure now whether to pick up a 680. If I do, it'll be because of the wider variety of medical software available for the POS.
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian studen View Post
    I honestly think that some people just don't know how to use WM 5, or they just don't want to give it the time of day to learn how to use it. Some people just like to stick to what they know, they don't like change. IMHO
    I can't speak for others, but for me, it's not that I'm unwilling to learn the nuances of WM5. In fact, I think I have (unfortunately) already done that to a large extent. The point is that I don't want to have more complexity to do the same things. More complexity to do more things is OK, so to some extent I can live with the silly way that I have to kill off applications using the task manager, because I get multitasking as a benefit. But having to navigate through menus to do things that should be just a click is pretty annoying. Using this thing one-handed is not really possible, for example, where it was definitely possible with PalmOS.

I understand that WM Smartphone edition is much easier to use, and closer to PalmOS. So some of this is probably issues with the Pocket PC edition on the 750, not with WM in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf View Post
    I can't speak for others, but for me, it's not that I'm unwilling to learn the nuances of WM5. In fact, I think I have (unfortunately) already done that to a large extent. The point is that I don't want to have more complexity to do the same things. More complexity to do more things is OK, so to some extent I can live with the silly way that I have to kill off applications using the task manager, because I get multitasking as a benefit. But having to navigate through menus to do things that should be just a click is pretty annoying. Using this thing one-handed is not really possible, for example, where it was definitely possible with PalmOS.

I understand that WM Smartphone edition is much easier to use, and closer to PalmOS. So some of this is probably issues with the Pocket PC edition on the 750, not with WM in general.
    Maybe you still didn't use WM5 well. Can you tell us some occations of "Using this thing one-handed is not really possible, for example, where it was definitely possible with PalmOS."?
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    The thing i find amusing about these threads is that there are invariably two or three different conversations happening and yet everyone seems to be talking about the same thing. The variances come in the degree to which different individuals are (forgive me, putting asbestos suit on now) gadget freaks. Although a large portion of us here in TC would be so-classified, many aren't. Some people would like their mobile device to be usable as a mobile device without (a) getting carpal tunnel from all the extra tapping and clicking to navigate the interface or (b) spending a lot of time installing hacks and customizing configurations.

For the people that fall into this category, I find the general reaction to WM is "it sucks." And from the stuff they say, it generally sucks for the simple fact that someone had the bright idea of bringing the full Windows experience into a mobile device. People may have resigned themselves to this on the desktop, but mobile devices are much more personal and people like them to be an extension of themselves... something they don't generally have to fight with to get stuff done. And WM, IMO misses.

The dilemma, of course, is that POS has serious technical problems -- multitasking, insufficient throughput for 3G, etc. So, invariably, the question comes to "do I really need 3G, etc or do I want a nice user experience?" Yes, I'm aware that folks (those aforementioned gadget freaks) have nicely found ways to dumb down (or, perhaps, tame) the WM interface to improve usability... but until they start shipping it that way you're still going to hear howls of frustration from those for whom appliances are just that.

Hope that didn't sound like a rant... after a while of seeing these threads, I just have to let it out.
    I agree with what you are saying but it is a dilema. Give up better usability or get better functionality (like UMTS).

I will say that I think most of the rants about the UI resolution are just that, rants. WM5 does actually display more information in the same space as Palm OS in most cases. The primary issue is that stupid Microsoft uses up screen space like a drunken sailor. If you use the defaults for IE, half the screen is gone to menu bars and stuff. But if you use in full screen mode, you get lots more information and better formatting than you do in Blazer.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Hi Bcaslis, how are you finding the phone reception of the treo 680 compared to the 750v? Similar quality? I'm finding the 750v to be much better compared to my old 650, and was wondering if the 680 takes after the 750v!
    Hmm... while they may share similar internal antennae, aren't the radio chipsets vastly different? After all the 750 has quad-GSM and tri-UMTS... but 680 only has quad-GSM... Would be curious if they shared the same GSM radio set though.
    The 750v is clearly better when on UMTS. On GSM I'm not sure. Sometimes I think they are the same, sometimes I think the 750 is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I have never found WM5 to be unstable. I'm confused about some of the statements here.
    I find it very confusing as well. I have been using my 750 for about two months now without any stability issues.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkomatic View Post
    I ordered an unlocked 680 from Palm but I think I'm going to cancel the order now. I was excited about the 680 but after using the Blackjack for a couple of weeks now, I think I'm hooked on the form factor and the 680 is too large.
    Hey.... I'm using the Blackjack now, and the form factor is great, 3G is VERY fast, but I do miss the Palm OS.
    I bought 680, keep using 750v, and give 680 to my wife

I think the difference between the two OS is on the TODAY screen as a starting page for every functions in the device:

750v , everything was on the touchscreen via icons ( phonebook lookup,email,inbox for email, calendar , task) and start menu (7 most used applications). It gives a feel that everything was started on the same page.

680, on the other hand is using shortcut BUTTON (hardware) instead of shortcut icon (software). So from the phone application to the messaging application, u need to actually exit from the current application. whereas, 750v feels more like multitasking .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12