Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Is there a way (on the 700w) to have the dial pad be the default screen, and then access the Today screen quickly?
  2. #2  
    no, not that I have ever heard of. why would you want this. from your today screen there is so many easy ways to make a call, when you want to make one. 9 out of 10 times I use my phone it's for things other than calls.
  3. #3  
    yeah i dont think there is a way....atleast not one i know of.....i wouldnt use it anyway....i love how you can just spell the name of the person you want and just select it from the list.....nice little touches are great
  4.    #4  
    thanks...I guess this is all true
    hmmm....can you set a button to bring it up in one press?

    Thanks all...Happy Thanksgiving
  5. robdam's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    thanks...I guess this is all true
    hmmm....can you set a button to bring it up in one press?

    Thanks all...Happy Thanksgiving
    Yep, you can. There's a thread, (I started, I think?), Search for it on this forum. I had linked my 700W side button to launch the dial pad. It was easy.
  6. robdam's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #6  
    Here's the thread, I searched and found it for you. Happy Thanksgiving.


    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=121887
  7. mrjoec's Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by robdam View Post
    Here's the thread, I searched and found it for you. Happy Thanksgiving.


    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=121887
    Is it me, or are there very few occasions when the Dial Pad is even necessary? 80% of the people I call are in my contacts list, any one of which is three buttons away. And if I need to dial a number that isn't in my contacts list, I just use the numbers on the keyboard. Once you get past those first couple of digits, if it doesn't recognize the number you're dialing, it automatically switches to the dial pad.

    At least that's how it works on the 650. Does that not work on the WM5 versions?
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    And if I need to dial a number that isn't in my contacts list, I just use the numbers on the keyboard. Once you get past those first couple of digits, if it doesn't recognize the number you're dialing, it automatically switches to the dial pad.

    At least that's how it works on the 650. Does that not work on the WM5 versions?
    Same thing. You just start typing on the today screen. If it's a new number after a few keystrokes it figures that out and just the numbers appear, hit Send and done. You don't even see the dialpad. Unless you have poor vision or fat fingers, I see no reason to use the dial pad. In fact, I don't think I ever use it, even for new numbers.

    Why launch something when you don't have to? Eh, to each his own.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9. robdam's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #9  
    I agree all but what if it's not a stored contact??
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by robdam View Post
    I agree all but what if it's not a stored contact??
    it don't matter, that's the point we're making.

    you can dial *any* new phone number in the world that is not in your contacts right from the today screen.

    just start typing a random phone number and watch what happens...it's just like dialing using the dial pad. no difference.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. robdam's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    Is it me, or are there very few occasions when the Dial Pad is even necessary? 80% of the people I call are in my contacts list, any one of which is three buttons away. And if I need to dial a number that isn't in my contacts list, I just use the numbers on the keyboard. Once you get past those first couple of digits, if it doesn't recognize the number you're dialing, it automatically switches to the dial pad.

    At least that's how it works on the 650. Does that not work on the WM5 versions?
    My 700W does not automatically switch to the dial pad if the # I am dialing is not stored/recognized.
    Last edited by robdam; 11/24/2006 at 09:28 AM.
  12. robdam's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    it don't matter, that's the point we're making.

    you can dial *any* new phone number in the world that is not in your contacts right from the today screen.

    just start typing a random phone number and watch what happens...it's just like dialing using the dial pad. no difference.
    Big difference; You're dialing the numbers from the teeny-tiny hard buttons and not from the larger on screen numbers. I never use the dial pad but I guess I feel better knowing that it is a mapped button away for me to use.

    My point has been that if you are dialing a # that is not stored/recognized than you HAVE to dial the entire #.

    Mal, I think you & MrJoeC may be talking about 2 different things. Does you 700W automatically switch over to dialpad if # is not recognized? Mine doesn't.

    *EDIT: I just noticed you don't have a 700W but rather a 650 according to your profile.
  13. #13  
    Just tap the green button, up, center. I'd rather use the HW buttons for a program I use often, IMO only of course
  14. #14  
    Ony reason I ever use my dial pad is if I have to dial something by name - i.e. 1-800-DISCOVER...I always forget the letters each number represents...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by robdam View Post
    Big difference; You're dialing the numbers from the teeny-tiny hard buttons and not from the larger on screen numbers. I never use the dial pad but I guess I feel better knowing that it is a mapped button away for me to use.

    My point has been that if you are dialing a # that is not stored/recognized than you HAVE to dial the entire #.

    Mal, I think you & MrJoeC may be talking about 2 different things. Does you 700W automatically switch over to dialpad if # is not recognized? Mine doesn't.

    *EDIT: I just noticed you don't have a 700W but rather a 650 according to your profile.
    Profile is very old, lol. I certainly have a 700wx (otherwise I'm truly amazing for figuring all those other things out )

    Right, technically we are talking about two different things in the sense that it doesn't bring up the dial pad. OTOH, you don't need the dial pad to dial any number from the today screen.

    As far as the teeny tiny numbers, yeah they are small yet they are fine for typing, so dialing is no biggy.

    but like what cmajewsk, I only use the dial pad for dialing numbers with letters in them. other than that I see no need for the dial pad, but that's just personal preference.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter

Posting Permissions