Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone using the Treo 750v with AT&T's Charter plan? I wanted to know if you are able to get 3g speeds while browsing or downloading files? I am still on the unlimited mMode plan, and every time I call Cingular about something, they want to switch me to a $49.99 data plan.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    What speed does this phone use? Doesn't it depend on what's available in my area? A faster speed is the main and basically only reason I want to upgrade from my 650.....
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'm still rolling with a charter AT&T mMode account and I was concerned about the same thing. But I popped my trusty ol' blue SIM card in and viola! UMTS! I'm in San Jose, CA.

FWIW, I spent the today about 30 miles south of San Jose and tried to get online and it showed up as GPRS. Now that I'm back home, I got the big U on my phone.

Cheers,
    Sealos
  4.    #4  
    Thanks sealos,

Where did you get the 680 in the San Jose area? Is it an unlocked 680? I ordered an unlocked 680 from Palm, but I would rather pick one up locally in San Jose if I could.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'm actually using a Vodafone branded Palm Treo 750v and NOT a 680. I got it at Phonesource USA. I was going to stop by the mall today and go to the Palm store, but Black Friday is keeping me away. I'm hoping they have the 680 there to compare with the 750. Even though it is the same form factor, I suspect they feel remarkably different (ie. my fear is that the 680 could feel cheap... but I'll withhold that thought until I actually get it in my hands!)

Cheers,
    Sealos
  6.    #6  
    I stopped by the Cingular Store in Santa Clara off the El Camino a few days ago to see the 750. The sales person there told me the AT&T sim card will not allow me to access the 3g network. Is this true? I almost picked one up, but wanted to check the board to see if what he says is true. I think he mentioned something about my card being too old or something like that.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Again, I have an AT&T blue SIM. I got the first day that AT&T rolled out GSM coverage in Los Angeles. I have NEVER "upgraded" to the Cingular SIM and I'm able to use my old blue SIM in my 750 AND I'm able to get full UMTS access and to boot, I've enable the HSDPA hack and able to get 800 to 900 kb bandwidth.

With that said, I do have an unlocked Vodaphone branded 750. The Cingular 750 may be locked to only Cingular branded SIMs and our true blue SIMs might not work on a Cingular branded 750. It would though if you got it unlocked.

One thing you could ask the sales person is to put your SIM in one of their 750 devices and see if it works. If it does, you're golden.

Sealos
    Just tried this on a locked Cingular phone. It doesn't work.
    It asks for an unlock code. I think its just a sim unlock code and not a subsidy unlock code.

Anyone know if there is a generic sim unlock code code?
    Quote Originally Posted by sealos View Post
    Again, I have an AT&T blue SIM. I got the first day that AT&T rolled out GSM coverage in Los Angeles. I have NEVER "upgraded" to the Cingular SIM and I'm able to use my old blue SIM in my 750 AND I'm able to get full UMTS access and to boot, I've enable the HSDPA hack and able to get 800 to 900 kb bandwidth.

With that said, I do have an unlocked Vodaphone branded 750. The Cingular 750 may be locked to only Cingular branded SIMs and our true blue SIMs might not work on a Cingular branded 750. It would though if you got it unlocked.

One thing you could ask the sales person is to put your SIM in one of their 750 devices and see if it works. If it does, you're golden.

Sealos
    The Cingular phones are locked. So putting your ATT SIM doesn't work. I had my Cingular phone unlocked and then put the SIM in and I get voice and it seems to work better than before.

However, I can not get a data connection. It looks like I'll have to go to the 3G SIM to get data.

If anyone knows any workaround, it would be good to know.
    I have AT&T Blue for my work cell and I use the Treo 750v. I did some heavy google searches and found the proxy setting that work. i have used them on the Tytn unlocked on AT&T and now the Treo. Here is my recap notes on the connection settings:

Connections
    - General: AT&T/Cingular
    - Modem: Cingular GPRS, Access Point = Null, Username/password/domain = null
    -- Advanced: use server ip address, use ip header, use specific server 10.250.1.10
    - proxy: This network connects to the internet, uses a proxy,
    -- Advanced: http server = wap.mymmode.com port = 8080, server = localhost, port = 1080 sock4

I hope that helps just follw the menus though.

Regards

Graylion

iDen: Original Nextels (Duel Set) maybe i205?

TDMA/GSM (AT&T Blue):
    Nokie 8260 -> Nokie\a 2260 -> Nokie 3360 -> Motorola V60 -> V551 -> SDA (Unlocked) -> TYTN (Unlocked) ->
    TREO 750v (the Best!)

CDMA:
    Sanyo VM4500 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Sanyo MM5500 -> Blackberry 7250 -> Motorola Q (the Best Smarth Phone!)
    I just spent $565.00 plus $35.00 overnight shipping on a Cingular Branded 750. Love the feel of the phone, (like the screen on my 680 better), however, I'm an AT&T Charter Plan user myself and thus do not have a 3G SIM Card and no way to get it. This really sucks.

I called Cingular and there is no way for them to help me unless I switch plans which I will not do. They gave me a generic SIM unlock code that did not work. Perhaps it might work for one of you. It is 11555672.

I also requested a subsidy unlock which I should get in a week or so. I will try that one when I get it.

Now what I seem to be reading here is that the Treo 750v will work with the AT&T SIM Chip, or that the Cingular branded 750 will work with the AT&T SIM Chip if I get the subsidy unlock code, is that correct?

Then I would use GrayLion's workaround to get full UMTS access, right?

Hoping for some good guidance here as I don't want to have wasted $600.00!

Thanks for any help,
    Silent
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    I just spent $565.00 plus $35.00 overnight shipping on a Cingular Branded 750. Love the feel of the phone, (like the screen on my 680 better), however, I'm an AT&T Charter Plan user myself and thus do not have a 3G SIM Card and no way to get it. This really sucks.

Now what I seem to be reading here is that the Treo 750v will work with the AT&T SIM Chip, or that the Cingular branded 750 will work with the AT&T SIM Chip if I get the subsidy unlock code, is that correct?

Then I would use GrayLion's workaround to get full UMTS access, right?

Hoping for some good guidance here as I don't want to have wasted $600.00!

Thanks for any help,
    Silent
    You could pay a 3rd party to unlock the phone right now. I did that with a cingular branded phone. I was able to get voice to work but no data connection. I just decided to move to cingular instead of the attws plan. It will cost a bit more, but at least it should work ok. The part that sucks the most is paying for unlimited data and then having to pay additional for txt messages (outbound and inbound).

FWIW, I'm still having some connect issues with internet connections. I'm pretty sure these are due to my location near a tower that has not been upgraded to UMTS yet. I get swithed between UMTS and GPRS quite a bit.

I figure its fair to pay the new prices for 3G speeds as an upgrade from ATWS.

I don't know of a workaround to get UMTS working. Perhaps there are some registry keys that could be edited. Somehow it must check the SIM ID number before allowing access to data.
    Thanks for the reply. I assume that you can't try Graylion's workaround since you already switched over? It will be tough for me to switch over. I love unlimited calling, use between 3500 to 6000 minutes a month and I don't use the unlimited data enough to justify switching. I just really don't want to have wasted the $600 plus I really want to have broadband speeds...but then again, doesn't everyone? lol
    Just to clarify

If you use an AT&T SIM like I do (on a 750v):

01. You will need an unlocked 750v or 750c? (cingular). Either way the phone needs to be unlocked for the SIM to work.

02. You will need to enable the hack that turns on the HSPDA for the Treo which is a software hack utilizing the the hardware, not SIM related (I think).

03. I am on a 29.95 AT&T unlimited plan right now. I get email and internet. I have 3 pop email accounts pulling and 1 hosted exchange account on push.

04. I do not have HSPDA coverage at home or work, but when I travel to orlando I do. I logged 800 + on speed with dslreports in Orlando last Sunday.

05. I have had some problems with when I have HSPDA band engaged and dropped calls. I hope the official release clears this up.

06. The connection specs I listed are located somewhere on Google and it took me a while to find them. They are specific to using data on the att or mmode proxy. I am not sure how it ties together I just followed the directions and it worked. Hey if anyone can find that setup for the MMode connections and post a link that would be great.

Also I encourage any of you who also know the correct way to help me clean up this list and make it easier for anyone with our unique carrier, plan phone situation.

I hope that helps.

Hey the Irony we have stayed with AT&T for so long they changed the name back!

Regards
    graylion
    Wow, thanks for the info. I'll hold on to my 750c until I get the unlock code which should take about a week. I'm in Miami, so I should get HSPDA coverage.

I just wonder why they make us use a 3G SIM. Or is it because it's necessary to use 3G SIM for UMTS but not for HSDPA?

I'm so confused! Any idea when the software update will be? I've read that it has been developed, but it's not officially out yet. Anyway, thanks for the quick response!
    Last edited by Silent; 01/25/2007 at 05:08 PM.
    I am on the old AT&T Charter unlimited $99 voice plan and would like to unlock a Cingular Treo 750 so that I can use this as a voice only device that I can also of course text message with on occasion. If I use one of the reputable online unlocking sources, will this device allow me to use my old Cingular blue sim for voice only function or will I have to get a new 3G sim card? (under contract etc.) I realize also in my question that the 750's 3G UMTS radio may need the newer sim to access the network correctly for voice on these bandwidths but I would think I would be fine with my Blue sim to access the GSM bandwidths like I am now.

I am currently using an unlocked Cingular branded 8125 with my blue sim and it works great as a voice only and texting device. I am in Denver, CO and we will NOT be getting any 3G service here until 10/07 due to some kind of Cingular FCC licensing screw up that prevents them from turning on their 3G signal until then. Minneapolis/St. Paul & many parts of LA are also caught up with this licensing delay issue too.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    HSDPA is just a software layer on top of UMTS. Without UMTS you can't get HSDPA. Therefore you will need a 3G sim to get HSDPA. Don't hold your breath for the official HSDPA, at the Cingular 750 announcement they said first half 2007 (that means June).

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    Wow, thanks for the info. I'll hold on to my 750c until I get the unlock code which should take about a week. I'm in Miami, so I should get HSPDA coverage.

I just wonder why they make us use a 3G SIM. Or is it because it's necessary to use 3G SIM for UMTS but not for HSDPA?

I'm so confused! Any idea when the software update will be? I've read that it has been developed, but it's not officially out yet. Anyway, thanks for the quick response!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Well, according to Greylion, he's getting voice and HSDPA using an AT&T Wireless SIM. I'll find out as soon as I get my unlock code for the 750c which should be today. I'll keep you all posted.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Many people are able to get 3G with, say, a 64k sim. It may be advisable to use a 3G sim for valid reasons, but it is my understanding that it is not technically necessary to have a 3G sim.
    That would be my sincere hope because the download speed is probably the main reason I am upgrading from a Treo 680 (an excellent phone and improvement in almost every way over the 650) to a Treo 750. I hope you and Graylion are right and this works for me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast