Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    My 700p is horrible, its been crashing since day 1. Im over it.

On Nov 16th the new cingular 8525 is released and it looks fantastic on paper. While that phone doesnt crash, it doesnt work either. Flight mode is a joke, the flash on the camera doesnt work, wifi kicks iin when its good and ready, bluetooth doesnt ring in the car, etc.

I return that and then buy the 700wx....It just feels right. No wifi, the camera sucks but Sprint has it togther with the Ev-DO deal. For the life of me, I just cant seem to find a phone that works correctly out the box.

Heres my problem:

Why in Gods name dont the reminders work and continue to remind me until I check it? If the only thing the Palm 700p was good as, it was annoying the **** out of me about an appointment. Why do I have to buy a 3rd party app (Phonesmart?) to make it work properly?!?!?!?

Im scared of 3rd party app's, they frighten me. Not as bad as a Pitbull, my wife or my 4yr old but they make me nervous just the same. I bench 225 on a good day for 8 reps, I watch the UFC and boxing, Ive trained some judo and Kung Fu, yet these 3rd apps scare me to death. My phone NEVER works the same after 1 or 2 installs on these applications and no one can fix 'em.

I admit for the record that Im not nearly as smart as most of you folks here. Im just a real estate guy that needs to be on time to my appointments during the day. All I want is a phone that doesnt crash 4 times a day and that reminds me every 2 mins to go somewhere that I dont really wanna go.

Im done ranting I guess.
    Don't be scared. Hard resets fixes all. (usually) lol
    phonealarm. works for a lot of people. I recommend the lite version. it has a 30 free trial and can be found at pocketmax.com

good luck, cody

and btw. you'll NEVER find the perfect phone. trust me, i've been looking for a long time.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    you are right about that. i've been switching phone once or twice a year for like 8 years and although they improve, no one has seemed to nail it perfectly.

ive calmed down now.

Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    phonealarm. works for a lot of people. I recommend the lite version. it has a 30 free trial and can be found at pocketmax.com

good luck, cody

and btw. you'll NEVER find the perfect phone. trust me, i've been looking for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    On Nov 16th the new cingular 8525 is released and it looks fantastic on paper. While that phone doesnt crash, it doesnt work either. Flight mode is a joke, the flash on the camera doesnt work, wifi kicks iin when its good and ready, bluetooth doesnt ring in the car, etc.
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

But cody is correct, no phone will be perfect. Until Palm can make a treo with a rectangular screen, wifi, evdo rev a, and GSM capable for travel. And perhaps pne of these:

http://news.com.com/Samsung+unveils+...3-5973745.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

But cody is correct, no phone will be perfect. Until Palm can make a treo with a rectangular screen, wifi, evdo rev a, and GSM capable for travel. And perhaps pne of these:

http://news.com.com/Samsung+unveils+...3-5973745.html
    Let's not forget that the phone needs to support the bluetooth AV profile so that you can project video and audio to the closest bt display and/or audio device such as the one in your car. You could then play any media over your car display and stereo. Think slingplayer, tcpmp movies, your audio collection. etc.

For the treo right now I would just like a2dp, bt voice dialing, and real built in GPS for navigation without an external GPS receiver. That is all technology that exists today and very practical to implement since it has been done on other phones already. And how much is it to ask for a reliable bluetooth headset profile that doesn't drop your connection or turn off randomly?!?!?
    Last edited by hannip; 11/21/2006 at 01:36 PM.
    My 700p is horrible, its been crashing since day 1. Im over it.

I return that and then buy the 700wx....It just feels right. No wifi, the camera sucks but Sprint has it togther with the Ev-DO deal. For the life of me, I just cant seem to find a phone that works correctly out the box.

Heres my problem:

Why in Gods name dont the reminders work and continue to remind me until I check it? If the only thing the Palm 700p was good as, it was annoying the **** out of me about an appointment. Why do I have to buy a 3rd party app (Phonesmart?) to make it work properly?!?!?!?

Im scared of 3rd party app's, they frighten me. Not as bad as a Pitbull, my wife or my 4yr old but they make me nervous just the same. I bench 225 on a good day for 8 reps, I watch the UFC and boxing, Ive trained some judo and Kung Fu, yet these 3rd apps scare me to death. My phone NEVER works the same after 1 or 2 installs on these applications and no one can fix 'em.

I admit for the record that Im not nearly as smart as most of you folks here. Im just a real estate guy that needs to be on time to my appointments during the day. All I want is a phone that doesnt crash 4 times a day and that reminds me every 2 mins to go somewhere that I dont really wanna go.

Im done ranting I guess.
    I think you should just stay out of the smartphone market all together. No chance you are going to be happy with current devices. I am amazed with these rants that appear from time to time..Don't you people go out and look and play with these devices before buying them?
    gobigblue,

You could not have said that any better!!! I agree.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Here's my point.

I bought treo 700p to replace a 650 to get the high speed connection. it sounded great on paper.

Since day 1 the phone resets itself or otherwise crashes every day, over 3 times a day. This happens to be particularly annyiing while I'm on the phone. incidently, I use my phone for business.

I'm not sure how I could determine if the new out of the box Treo 700p was gonna crash 3 times a day by punching a few buttons at the sprint store or making a call. if u have recommendations on how to do this, I'm all ears. my psychic powers were off that day.

fast forward to the 8525 that was gonna replace the 700p. another phone that doesn't work from day 1. speed ahead again to the 700wx, now this one is a winner but I can't get the calendar to continuously remind me of an appt until I aclnowledge it.

if not having a PDA / phone that crases every day that actually reminds me of an appt is too much to ask for in 2006 then maybe I don't need a SMARTphone after all.

Quote Originally Posted by gobigblue View Post
    I think you should just stay out of the smartphone market all together. No chance you are going to be happy with current devices. I am amazed with these rants that appear from time to time..Don't you people go out and look and play with these devices before buying them?
    you know, after thinking about it, my wx reminds me about every 3-5 minutes if i dont hit dismiss. in fact the 6700 (another wm 5.0 device) did it as well.
    Yes it does, because there's an option to "repeat" reminder tone in the Sounds and Notifications settings.....
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    it reminds you for a minute of so. then it shuts off when the phone goes dark. then all you see is the reminder icon on the top of the screen.
    If you only want to use it, say, in the morning to wake up (like I do), get the freeware alarm clock. I love it, its free, and its 100% reliable. And totally customizable. The appt reminders I use the default app, but I use alarmclock specifically for wakeup purposes
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    are you saying that your calendar keeps reminding you until you acknowledge it?

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    If you only want to use it, say, in the morning to wake up (like I do), get the freeware alarm clock. I love it, its free, and its 100% reliable. And totally customizable. The appt reminders I use the default app, but I use alarmclock specifically for wakeup purposes
    are you saying that your calendar keeps reminding you until you acknowledge it?
    Lemme check....
    Been 3 minutes and counting, but I had the phone plugged in and the screen did not shut off yet...I will try again
    When my screen went dark my reminders continued, but very sporadically. Now my screen has been off for a minute or so, and I have gotten zero. A minute later it woke up again and started repeating rapidly again. If this isn't good enough, you have two options that I know of:

1- The alarmclock program I mentioned above, or

2-Phonealarm. Works great, and specifically deals with repeating alerts. Probably its biggest feature.

1=free, 2=15 bucks
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    ok. thanks for checking. I just checked mine again and it does sporadicallt do it as you say. that's good enough for me.

thanks!
    Ev,
    I am, or was, on the same boat as you. I too am scared of: Pit bulls, 5 year old and 3 year old, and my wife ( all girls in the house uggg) and about the phone: The thing is this technology, while growing, is no where near as visible or income impacting as other technology ( ipods come to mind) So until the market grows and companys have REASONS to ensure they put out a great product you will have glitchy stuff.
    Best advice I have for you is to trial a BUNCH of 3rd party apps now before you start putting in tons of info so that you can find what you like and what helps out alot. As far as the reminders I use yahoo online calendar and sych with the free program they give you called Intellesync and I use pocket informant. Yahoo emails you to remind you as well as PI and if I REALLY dont want to miss stuff, when I schedule an appt I email my hotmail account so I basically have 3 reminders. Kind of getto but it works well for me. Gluck and btw thanks for making me laugh out loud at work your posts are awesome haha! Psychic powers not working! Classic.

Sera
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    You are 100% correct.

Ive been into technology since the day of the Timex Sinclair 1000, over 24 yrs ago! I would have never thought that I would be holding a sophisticated little computer in my hand that could:

1- receive phone calls from my 8 month pregant wife demanding 2 boxes of Organic Ice Cream sandwiches

2- take video of my agitated 4 year old son grappling with the dentist trying to clean his teeth - and almost winning!!

3- browse a World Wide Web of interconnected computers while in stuck in traffic in Lower Manhattan - Yes I know this is dangerous but I like to live my life on the edge

4- take pictures of a hopped up crackhead trying to break into one my houses in brooklyn in broad daylight! i must say the lighting was fantastic.

I love technoolgy and how far its gone. I just went mad the other day when i thought my Personal Digital Assisant (Treo 700wx) wasnt going to nag me about appointments.............

All is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Serafin View Post
    Ev,
    I am, or was, on the same boat as you. I too am scared of: Pit bulls, 5 year old and 3 year old, and my wife ( all girls in the house uggg) and about the phone: The thing is this technology, while growing, is no where near as visible or income impacting as other technology ( ipods come to mind) So until the market grows and companys have REASONS to ensure they put out a great product you will have glitchy stuff.
    Best advice I have for you is to trial a BUNCH of 3rd party apps now before you start putting in tons of info so that you can find what you like and what helps out alot. As far as the reminders I use yahoo online calendar and sych with the free program they give you called Intellesync and I use pocket informant. Yahoo emails you to remind you as well as PI and if I REALLY dont want to miss stuff, when I schedule an appt I email my hotmail account so I basically have 3 reminders. Kind of getto but it works well for me. Gluck and btw thanks for making me laugh out loud at work your posts are awesome haha! Psychic powers not working! Classic.

Sera