Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So for those of us who are rabid WeatherPanel fans, the one thing it was lacking was a way to select options on the plugin via the d-pad (e.g. you had to bust out the stylus).

Thanks to Storyr and his programming abilities, he made a sweet, tiny and efficient plugin that will add this to your program.

I'll repost his description with pictures. I've been testing it for days and it works very well. So give it a shot and some thanks to Storyr, he spent a lot of time with this! (he had to learn C++!)

Finally, it's only available here at ppcGeeks!

(log in to see/download the file!)

--Mal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Announcing WP-Pilot ... from UranusWare! A Today plugin developed by yours truly that allows one-handed navigation/control (via the d-pad) of the WeatherPanel.

Overview

The plugin is one pixel in height, and when activated, displays a pointer over the WeatherPanel plugin.

Moving the d-pad left or right will move the pointer over each "clickable" item on the WeatherPanel layout.

Press the center d-pad to activate.

Moving the d-pad up or down will move to the next/previous plugin.

The WP-Pilot options allows some "skinning" - you can change colors and pointer types to match your overall theme.

Bonus!

The WP-Pilot options window contains a section called WeatherPanel settings. These are a subset of the actual WeatherPanel options. You know, those that many people have trouble finding because you have to scroll to see them. For example, some folks may not even know the layouts have arrows to change cities - that option is turned off by default and not visible unless you scroll down to it. Also found here are the WeatherPanel Units - for our Canadian and Italian friends Smile

Installation.

Depending on your preference, I've attached both CAB and EXE setup files (readme.txt file included).

1. Setup method: Copy WP-PilotSetup_1_0.exe to your PC and run it. It will install WP-Pilot to your device. CAB file method: Copy WP-Pilot_1_0.CAB to your device and run it using File explorer. Do us all a favor and DO NOT install this on your storage card Wink

2. Open the Today settings (Start -> Options -> Personal -> Today) and access the Items tab.

3. Check the box next to WP-Pilot and move it (Move Up/Move Down) directly above or below WeatherPanel.

4. Click the Options button to access WP-Pilot's options settings.

Enjoy! --StoryR

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    GET OUT. I'm downloading immediately.

It's phenomenal, but I'm seeing a small issue. When I move the pointer to select a different day to view the forecast details, I get nothing (using the S240-CompactRC.wpl display setting). Also, as I click through with the pointer, my clock disappears in the top bar. Anyone else notice this? Mal, has that occurred on yours?

PLEASE don't think I'm in any way complaining. Not in the slightest; StoryR, great work as always! Just a heads-up/curiosity!

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Alienwhere; 11/20/2006 at 08:24 PM.
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post

It's phenomenal, but I'm seeing a small issue. When I move the pointer to select a different day to view the forecast details, I get nothing (using the S240-CompactRC.wpl display setting). Also, as I click through with the pointer, my clock disappears in the top bar. Anyone else notice this? Mal, has that occurred on yours?

PLEASE don't think I'm in any way complaining. Not in the slightest; StoryR, great work as always! Just a heads-up/curiosity!

Thanks!!!
    Hey Alienwhere - thanks for trying it!

Issue one: I hadn't tested that particular layout, but I see the same thing you're seeing: Moving further down the forecasts, the pointer moves a little to the left each time. By the time it's to third forecast, it's not actually over the icon, resulting in to action when you click. I'll check that out. Workaround: Click on the first forecast icon, then after the details window opens, click right to move to the next day.

Issue two: Because WP-Pilot opens a window, WM5 behaves as it normally does when a window is open. To solve: Go to Settings -> Personal -> Clocks & Alarms. Select the More tab, and check Display the clock on the title bar in all programs.
    Last edited by storyr; 11/20/2006 at 09:23 PM.
    StoryR - cool, cool. Gotcha. Yeah, I figured I would just click on the first one, and then go through the forecasts the way you described. No biggie at all. And good tip for the clock. I don't have that selected, as you surmised, but I didn't mind that either, I just didn't realize it was opening a program window, technically, since I didn't leave the today screen. Again, totally not a problem AT ALL.

Thanks for your awesome work! The WP crowd is gonna love it!
    END OF LINE
    very nice storyr. once agian... you be da man
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

Thanks!!!
    I found some time to see why this layout (S240-CompactRC.wpl) wasn't working well with WP-Pilot.

As it turns out, it's a layout problem. The currrent and forecast commands were reporting the wrong width - the actual width was wider. WP-Pilot uses these commands to determine where each repeating forecast icon is. If the width is incorrect, the pointer will be off.

I've fixed the two layouts (S240-CompactRC.wpl, S240-CompactRD.wpl) and attached...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    thanks storyr, while we are talking about it. is there any reason that once you are in the details pages the dpad doesnt work anymore. well it works but not untill you hit the dpad down several times. it is like the wp-pilot is still on the today screen even though your not. not that i am complaning, i love this addition to wp, and am greatful you learned c++ to make it work. you went through a lot of work to get this working. i was just woundering if there was something i could do to make this work better. (placement of the app on todayscreen, setting, ect)

thanks storyr

cody
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    thanks storyr, while we are talking about it. is there any reason that once you are in the details pages the dpad doesnt work anymore. well it works but not untill you hit the dpad down several times. it is like the wp-pilot is still on the today screen even though your not. not that i am complaning, i love this addition to wp, and am greatful you learned c++ to make it work. you went through a lot of work to get this working. i was just woundering if there was something i could do to make this work better. (placement of the app on todayscreen, setting, ect)

thanks storyr

cody
    Hey don't worry - I don't take problem reports personally It's the only way to make it better!

I've seen this behavior before - while testing prior to it's initial release. I thought I got rid of it - apparently not. You are correct in that when it does this, the Today screen still has the focus behind the detail window.

It's not doing it on my device, but I noticed the new version I'm working on IS doing it on the emulator

For now, try moving it around (as you suggested) to see if that affects it at all. Let me know...
    right on, just so you know, i have the weather panel at the bottom of the today screen and wp-pilot right under it. it has done it from the very beginning. it also does it no matter where i put it. as far as i know.

another thing is that it shows the pilot icon in the details page. that is why i thought i was still thinking it was on the today screen. no biggie.

hey, if you want wp-pilot2 beta tester you know where
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    I found some time to see why this layout (S240-CompactRC.wpl) wasn't working well with WP-Pilot.

As it turns out, it's a layout problem. The currrent and forecast commands were reporting the wrong width - the actual width was wider. WP-Pilot uses these commands to determine where each repeating forecast icon is. If the width is incorrect, the pointer will be off.

I've fixed the two layouts (S240-CompactRC.wpl, S240-CompactRD.wpl) and attached...
    StoryR - you rock! I haven't been able to check this out until today, but it works perfectly now - thanks so much for the work. I just swapped them in for the old ones, and it was great from that point on. Awesome...
    END OF LINE
    StoryR... I hate to do this, but... I walked away from my phone last night and some time later, the screen stopped showing the temps for the next few days and also had one less little weather icon... I tried moving WP-Pilot below (it was above) and also removing WeatherPanel from the today screen... no dice... I'm going to go back to the original S240-CompactRC for now.

I don't get it; when installed it, as I said in my last post, it was ok, then later on got weird...
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    StoryR... I hate to do this, but... I walked away from my phone last night and some time later, the screen stopped showing the temps for the next few days and also had one less little weather icon... I tried moving WP-Pilot below (it was above) and also removing WeatherPanel from the today screen... no dice... I'm going to go back to the original S240-CompactRC for now.

I don't get it; when installed it, as I said in my last post, it was ok, then later on got weird...
    Probably something to do with the current section - I may have messed something up (you think? ) I'll check it out...
    Cool - thanks a bunch!
    END OF LINE
    Ive been using WP off and on for over a year giving it another try last night. Pilot is a great addtion that worked well But WP got the dump again
    With WP on board it takes two min at times for a soft reset to compleat
    The Pop up thats present when making or receaving calls on today screen looks terrible.The number,text and timer hmmm very ugly and hard to read
    leading me to the conclustion that WP and WM5 dont get along.
    When builder of this great software ever get off his long vacation maybe he will make the fixs needed.dont hold your breath
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    The Pop up thats present when making or receaving calls on today screen looks terrible.The number,text and timer hmmm very ugly and hard to read
    Just need to get rid of a couple of fonts that get installed with WP to fix that.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&postcount=85

Actually, I just did a hard reset today and re-installed programs and I didn't get those chunky fonts this time. I actually forgot about them until I read this.

Greg
    Good deal Greg
    Thanks
    I am just LOVING this modification .... Thank you for the time and effort you put into it!

A general WeatherPanel question: Has anyone noticed extreme variances in the temp that's shown on the Treo and the temp reported on the news? I was driving home tonight and the temp on WP said 15 degrees, but my car panel and the radio said it was 29 (car) and 31 (radio). Seemed like a big difference (15 to 31 ... although, cold is just freakin' cold, I guess).

(I tried a soft reset with an update; no change.)

Jen
    some have said that when setting it up use the search method for adding your city unstead of just putting in your zipcode and putting a name for it.

another thing is, for example, if you live in a big city like I do. I live in raymore, missouri. where is that? it's part of kansas city, missouri. the thing is that the temperature for major citys is at there airports. the airport is a hour (45 miles) away. right now the airport has no snow on the ground and where I live there is like 6-8 inches. the temperature is like 10-15 degrees colder where the snow is. the radio says it's 35 degrees in kc, and my phone says 23. the news shows the true temps throughout the city and we were both right. thay were just explaining this last night. our large city of kc was split right down the middle. half with and half without snow.

hope this made some kind of sense. i'm doing this while driving. lol

cody
    Last edited by codyppc; 12/04/2006 at 09:54 PM.
    Cody - you are so right, thank you! I love the easy fix I searched for my city and it came up a good 5 degrees warmer.

BTW, I'm quite impressed you typed that whole message on the road!

jen
    I wonder how many times he drove off the road typing that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast