Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 168
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    If you do you may not be able to go back to a Treo. I am using an 8525 and it is fantastic! HUGE improvement over the 8125. I held a 680 in my hands over the weekend and I was amayzed at how small and close the keys were. Since the form factor is the same on the 750 I think even though I will get a 750 I am not sure I will be able to stick with it after using the 8525.
    What's the improvement of your 8525 over 8125? I am using 8125 and treo 650 and curious to know. Thanks

    It's a pain to wait for the treo 750v. Really pain.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

    Treo 750 hacks thread.
  2. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84 View Post
    Yea I definitely agree with that but it shouldn't be taking this long to get the bugs out of a device that was already released in Europe.

    Also, I would 100% choose Palm OS over WM5 any day of the week BUT any new phone I get MUST have 3G. It is unacceptable for any high end phone (especially smartphones) not to have high speed internet access.

    Palm better figure a out a way to make Palm OS (old or new) compatible with UMTS/HSDPA and they better do it fast!
    I'm with you on this. I'm hoping that it will be 3G-compatible with the Palm OS!
  3. #43  
    I believe it has been stated several times in this forum. HSPDA need simultaneously data and voice, which requires the OS multitaskable. unfortunately palm os is single task os, which is also the main reason why palm has to choose wm5 as the alternative os.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

    Treo 750 hacks thread.
  4. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    I believe it has been stated several times in this forum. HSPDA need simultaneously data and voice, which requires the OS multitaskable. unfortunately palm os is single task os, which is also the main reason why palm has to choose wm5 as the alternative os.
    Ooooohhhhhh.....
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    What's the improvement of your 8525 over 8125? I am using 8125 and treo 650 and curious to know. Thanks

    It's a pain to wait for the treo 750v. Really pain.
    It's hard to quantify the improvements of the 8525 over the 8125. But in a nutshell, I came to somewhat dislike the 8125 and really like the 8525.
    I'd say the main reason is the keyboard. The 8125's kind of sucked for the most part. The 8525 doesn't suck at all. They change the button placements, the key size is different, and more. All of the changes are improvements. I had a hard time working with the 8125 keyboard, but like the keyboard on the 8525. However, I'm not a fan of sliding out the keyboard to use it. I generally prefer the Treo 750's keyboard and availability of the keyboard. The slider becomes inconvenient at times, something I dont have to deal with on the 650 (and subsequently the 750.)
    The 8525 is faster (no slow downs) and the change to the button layout (and addition of window & ok) keys make a huge difference.
    The addition of 3G is of course big.

    I'd still have it. But the mic died after 2 weeks. I returned it for a refund and I'm going to wait for the 750 since it seems to be coming soon. I believe I'll like the 750 just a little more, but I have to admit I'm a little on the fence. I'm pretty sure a week with the 750 and I won't miss the 8525 anymore. We'll see.
    I think it's worth the wait if the wait is only a week or two.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    It's hard to quantify the improvements of the 8525 over the 8125. But in a nutshell, I came to somewhat dislike the 8125 and really like the 8525.
    I'd say the main reason is the keyboard. The 8125's kind of sucked for the most part. The 8525 doesn't suck at all. They change the button placements, the key size is different, and more. All of the changes are improvements. I had a hard time working with the 8125 keyboard, but like the keyboard on the 8525. However, I'm not a fan of sliding out the keyboard to use it. I generally prefer the Treo 750's keyboard and availability of the keyboard. The slider becomes inconvenient at times, something I dont have to deal with on the 650 (and subsequently the 750.)
    The 8525 is faster (no slow downs) and the change to the button layout (and addition of window & ok) keys make a huge difference.
    The addition of 3G is of course big.

    I'd still have it. But the mic died after 2 weeks. I returned it for a refund and I'm going to wait for the 750 since it seems to be coming soon. I believe I'll like the 750 just a little more, but I have to admit I'm a little on the fence. I'm pretty sure a week with the 750 and I won't miss the 8525 anymore. We'll see.
    I think it's worth the wait if the wait is only a week or two.
    Got you.

    Actually 8125 can do most 8525 does. For examples, Using smartkey, you can get start menu and OK/close by pressing and holding the left and right softkey, respectively. Using omaclock, you can overclock the CPU to 300MHZ without any problem (The dual core processor infrastracture of OMAP is faster than the samsung or intel 300Mhz after overclocking while consuming much less battery.)

    As to the keyboard, both sucks.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

    Treo 750 hacks thread.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    Got you.

    Actually 8125 can do most 8525 does.
    100% inaccurate. Look up the device please before making comments like that. 2MP camera, BT 2.0, A2DP, Mobile Speed test results of OVER 800kbps (dslreports.com, UMTS of course), better display, 5 customizable hardware buttons and a scroll wheel for MUCH easier 1-handed use. The only time you need two handson this device is when you need to type.

    That being said, I'll probably test the 750 anyway when it comes out also.

    I'm sure most of the "DELAY" is the vodaphone exclusivity agreement. They haven't had the phone 3 months yet no? Some deal that was.

    Can anyone confirm that they are using their 750v and connecting to UMTS in the United States? I belive it runs on a different frequency than HSDPA n Europe and it won't work until the Cingular version is released. Can anyone (hopefully) correct me on this?
  8. #48  
    Lots of people here including myself are using the 750v in the U.S. on UMTS. You could find this easily with a search. The 750v and the 8525 are the only two devices I know of with tri-mode UMTS (850/1900/2100). In the U.S. on Cingular it uses 850/1900 and in Europe uses 1900/2100.

    HSDPA runs on the same frequencies. HSDPA is a software layer on top of UMTS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    100% inaccurate. Look up the device please before making comments like that. 2MP camera, BT 2.0, A2DP, Mobile Speed test results of OVER 800kbps (dslreports.com, UMTS of course), better display, 5 customizable hardware buttons and a scroll wheel for MUCH easier 1-handed use. The only time you need two handson this device is when you need to type.

    That being said, I'll probably test the 750 anyway when it comes out also.

    I'm sure most of the "DELAY" is the vodaphone exclusivity agreement. They haven't had the phone 3 months yet no? Some deal that was.

    Can anyone confirm that they are using their 750v and connecting to UMTS in the United States? I belive it runs on a different frequency than HSDPA n Europe and it won't work until the Cingular version is released. Can anyone (hopefully) correct me on this?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    100% inaccurate. Look up the device please before making comments like that. 2MP camera, BT 2.0, A2DP, Mobile Speed test results of OVER 800kbps (dslreports.com, UMTS of course), better display, 5 customizable hardware buttons and a scroll wheel for MUCH easier 1-handed use. The only time you need two handson this device is when you need to type.

    That being said, I'll probably test the 750 anyway when it comes out also.

    I'm sure most of the "DELAY" is the vodaphone exclusivity agreement. They haven't had the phone 3 months yet no? Some deal that was.

    Can anyone confirm that they are using their 750v and connecting to UMTS in the United States? I belive it runs on a different frequency than HSDPA n Europe and it won't work until the Cingular version is released. Can anyone (hopefully) correct me on this?
    Only the 3G and BT 2.0 can't be matched by 8125, both of which has no use for me since I am in TMobile. As to the camera, both 2MB and 1.3 MB are crap. Other things like A2dp, 5 customizable hardware buttons and a scroll wheel all exist in 8125 with patches. As to the better display, it is too subjective. Some people can see the difference between SONY and SHARP LCD, while I never can tell.

    The one-hand operation in 8125 is fantastic, which is all due to the OS. I don't think 8525 has BETTER operation convenice than 8125.

    Don't be frustrated, the instant keyboard in treo 750v makes big difference, which is the main reason I can give up the 320*240 LCD and wi-fi and wait for the treo 750v. Again, 3G is no use to me.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

    Treo 750 hacks thread.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Lots of people here including myself are using the 750v in the U.S. on UMTS. You could find this easily with a search.
    Good advice, that whole search thing. I wish I knew that 800 posts ago..

    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    Only the 3G and BT 2.0 can't be matched by 8125, both of which has no use for me since I am in TMobile. As to the camera, both 2MB and 1.3 MB are crap. Other things like A2dp, 5 customizable hardware buttons and a scroll wheel all exist in 8125 with patches. As to the better display, it is too subjective. Some people can see the difference between SONY and SHARP LCD, while I never can tell.

    The one-hand operation in 8125 is fantastic, which is all due to the OS. I don't think 8525 has BETTER operation convenice than 8125.

    Don't be frustrated, the instant keyboard in treo 750v makes big difference, which is the main reason I can give up the 320*240 LCD and wi-fi and wait for the treo 750v. Again, 3G is no use to me.
    To each their own, sure, but to say the 8125 and 8525 are "basically the same" is very self-served solely because 1. you are on T-Mobile and 2. You have no need for any high speed Internet on your phone. Try telling someone with a Slingbox to get an 8125 instead of the 8525, if he lives in a 3G area he'll never speak to you again.

    I owned the 700w/wx for 6 months before I switched to Cingular. They both have their advantages/disadvantages. That is why I stated that "I will stll try the 750 when it comes out," because although I am getting used to the 8525 I do miss the exposed keyboard. Read the Apache/Hermes forums, lots of people who own these devices would NEVER use a treo, because it feels "limited" to them.
  11. #51  
    Hey, thanks for the scarcasm even though I answered your question along with the technical reason why it will work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Good advice, that whole search thing. I wish I knew that 800 posts ago..
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Hey, thanks for the scarcasm even though I answered your question along with the technical reason why it will work.
    Indeed you did, with an unnecessary comment snuck in the middle.

    I did search, and found right below this thread a 3 page thread where hacks were being used to get HSDPA to work. Without the hack, people claim to get 300kbps. On my 8525, when my phone is in a U area I average 800-850 kbps from dsleports.com, no hack needed. I was wondering if this would be supported out-of-the-box, without all the hacking. I can live with 300kbps, it was just a question which I felt was asked in the proper place, considering the name of this thread...

    Sarcasm gets sarcasm. Not like I attacked you personally or anything
  13. #53  
    What time is it in NYC?
    Just call me Berd.
  14. #54  
    It's late
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by harps View Post
    You should be happy that it looks like you are even going to get these products!
    Here in Australia we really only have a GSM network (CDMA has been shut down) hence these products will fit straight in yet it is unlikely we will see either until early in the new year.
    New Zealand for christ sake has got the 750 already, well before us!
    Yeah I was quite peeved to find NZ had it too!! No matter, I got mine cheaper anyway
    Palm Treo 750v
    Running on Three Australia
    1GB miniSD - Bluetooth GPS - Nokia CK-1W Car-Kit
  16. #56  
    I don't get this exclusivity with Vodaphone. It operates on an entirely different continent. What does it have to do with Cingular???

    Also, are there at least any improvements on the Cingular Treo 750 vs. the 750v or is it exactly the same?
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    I don't get this exclusivity with Vodaphone. It operates on an entirely different continent. What does it have to do with Cingular???

    Also, are there at least any improvements on the Cingular Treo 750 vs. the 750v or is it exactly the same?
    That's the beauty of GSM. It works on many continents.
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    I don't get this exclusivity with Vodaphone. It operates on an entirely different continent. What does it have to do with Cingular???

    Also, are there at least any improvements on the Cingular Treo 750 vs. the 750v or is it exactly the same?
    There are no improvements. It is only that Cingular will lock the phone. Vodafones latest Roms are not locked. Plus Cingular has some other things added that are strictly for their network.

    Functionalitywise I don't think there will be a big difference. Palm made an exclusive deal with Vodafone to get in on their network and to dave money on the marketing side. I don't beleive any Palm devices were sold through Vodafone in the past. It was a strategic decission from Palm. One I can understand however is it bad for the US-customers.

    I can't beleive that it would take this long for Cingular to release the 750. I have mine now for two months!
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
  19. #59  
    I'm not sure if it's the latest ROMs from Vodaphone aren't locked or if it's by region. In the UK, it was initially locked but in Germany it wasn't. The ones for Asia (Singapore) were never locked. If anyone got one recently from the UK that would be the way to tell if it was locked or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
    There are no improvements. It is only that Cingular will lock the phone. Vodafones latest Roms are not locked. Plus Cingular has some other things added that are strictly for their network.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  20. #60  
    Dutch versions were unlocked as well. But I beleive there are different Roms available from Voda. Mine is 1.15 and is unlocked.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions