Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So This is My ONLY Stereo BT Choice?:

Plantronics Pulsar 590A Bluetooth Stereo Headphones for Treo 700wx

I've looked around but I think this is the only beasty with the needed (and dreaded dongle)? Anyone know of anything else?

Present season is coming up and I can't decide whether to go with the above or just get a BT earpiece and a pair of decent wired stereo headphones.
    Why do you think you need a dongle? Most other headphone have a built-in mic and are pretty decent. I have the NextLink Spiders and the mic is ok, not great but gets the job done.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Why do you think you need a dongle? Most other headphone have a built-in mic and are pretty decent. I have the NextLink Spiders and the mic is ok, not great but gets the job done.
    My understanding is the 700wx does not, as of this writing (crosses fingers), support BT A2DP thus requires a transmitting dongle on the phone end to listen to stereo mp3s.
    There are a number of bundled headphones and dongles out there by Anycom, Jenson, Logitech, Plantronics, Bluetake, Mustek, Jabra and I think ITech to name a few. There was a great deal on the Jenson a while back and I bought the bundle just for the dongle since it worked well with other a2dp headphones. You can get dongles separately also and choose the headphones you want, but it is a little more risky due to potential compatibility issues. The a2dp profile is a standard and if the headphones and dongle claim to support it then it's suppose to work together. You'll have to read reviews and user experiences to be sure though.
    I've used my Sharper Image BT headphones with the dongle that came with them successfully on my 700W. You need to plug the dongle into the headphone adapter, then the adapter into the phone. Not elegant, but no wires!

Skip
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    There are a number of bundled headphones and dongles out there by Anycom, Jenson, Logitech, Plantronics, Bluetake, Mustek, Jabra and I think ITech to name a few. There was a great deal on the Jenson a while back and I bought the bundle just for the dongle since it worked well with other a2dp headphones. You can get dongles separately also and choose the headphones you want, but it is a little more risky due to potential compatibility issues. The a2dp profile is a standard and if the headphones and dongle claim to support it then it's suppose to work together. You'll have to read reviews and user experiences to be sure though.
    Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'll google including the word dongal or adapter.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by skipster View Post
    I've used my Sharper Image BT headphones with the dongle that came with them successfully on my 700W. You need to plug the dongle into the headphone adapter, then the adapter into the phone. Not elegant, but no wires!

Skip
    Ah yes! The 3.5 adapter issue. I had not considered that, thanks for reminding. Looks like I may just get the short wire adapter and carry the dongle in my front pocket with my Treo in my belt case.
    I just noticed that Jabra came out with a dongle. I've had good success with their dongles in the past.

http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/NA/EN/...ts/JabraA120s/
    i use the blue ant x-5 it has the dongle as well, but one nice feature is that the headset function pairs with the 700w so I can use it for the phone as well
    Quote Originally Posted by larrysilver View Post
    i use the blue ant x-5 it has the dongle as well, but one nice feature is that the headset function pairs with the 700w so I can use it for the phone as well
    The Jabra's and Plantronics headphones can do that too.

http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/NA/EN/...abraBT620s.htm
    Are there any dongles out there that have the mini plug connection already?
    Quote Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post
    Are there any dongles out there that have the mini plug connection already?
    I've looked, but never found one.

The dongle that comes with the Jenson bundle has a 3.5 female connector and a male to male 3.5 cable. If we could find a 3.5 to 2.5 cable that would be optimal.
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but I'm assuming then that the 700wx only comes with a 3.5female to 2.5 male cable? I dont have a 700 yet, actually just placed an order for one. So I'm guessing you're saying you need to plug in the Jensen cable into another cable that then goes into your phone?

Also, does the dongle and plug allow for information to be passed along a third wire, like the wired headsets that allow you to hang up or accept a call via a button on the headset? So basically, you can use the functions on the BT headphones through the dongle? The reason I ask is because if its only a simple cable with no extra wires inside to allow for this added functionality, I'm sure you could make your own cable from parts at Radioshack....
    The 700wx comes with a 2.5 female connector for external headset. The 3.5 to 2.5 adapters are sold separately and do not include the "third wire" that headset connectors have.

My Jenson dongle comes with a 3.5 female connector and a cable with a male 3.5 plug on each end. It's a standard 3.5 headphone connector. I suppose I could make my own 3.5<->2.5 cable from Radioshack parts. I'm not sure how professional it would look after I got done with it though.
    Hehe. Its in your pocket, who cares what it looks like. :-)

Well, so I guess that means the Jensen dongle (and probably others) cannot utilize all the controls on the bluetooth headset like volume, stop and play music? Are there any wired headsets that work like that?
    I found one place that actually had the cable, but it is 6 feet long.

Volume is controllable from the headphones, but it doesn't change the treo's volume settings if that's what you mean. I'm not sure about stop and play. I'll have to try that when I get home.

The jabra dongle claims it supports pause/play, but not the other avrcp controls.
    The iLuv's that were recently announced look pretty cool and come with a transmitter.

http://www.i-luv.com/iLuv/product_in...roducts_id=303
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    The iLuv's that were recently announced look pretty cool and come with a transmitter.

http://www.i-luv.com/iLuv/product_in...roducts_id=303
    Those look pretty neat, anyone gotten their hands on a set yet?
    I try to boycott anything that starts with a lowercase i, but these do look pretty nice. Wonder if they'll fit well though (i've had similar style that hook around the ear, but I never felt they were secure enough or comfortable enough to use all the time....)
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Those look pretty neat, anyone gotten their hands on a set yet?
    Ok, I take it back, just noticed an update by EndGadget that the cans ARE attached together by a wire.

sigh, back to the hunt.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast