Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So the 3 pin to 3 pin converter will allow for mic input as well as stereo output from the dongle?

I just got mine as well, and i think they're great. Smaller than the other headphones I've seen, and very comfortable. The only problems I have with it so far is i can't seem to make the mic work when I connect the headset directly to my computer (without the dongle), and the bass response is almost nonexistent. Have you guys found solutions to either of these issues?
    Oh, and yeah no Radioshacks around me have them either. Supposedly Chocolate owners have been buying them to use their own headphones with their phones. I might have to make my own for now. Does anyone know which pins are which on the Treo's port (ie left, right, and mic)?
    The 3 pin to 3 pin converter doesn't allow mic through the headphone connectoin, but if you read one of my previous posts in this thread you might be able to connect the headset profile through your treo and also at the same time connect the a2dp profile to your dongle. My Jensens do that and I'm sure other headphone/dongle combos work the same.

For bass what I use is PocketMusic bass boost feature. It is the best bass boost of all the music players available. I tried PocketPlayers bass dsp filter but it causes too much distortion. Using PocketMusic with EQ disabled and bass boost enabled I get better sound out of my treo than the ipod I bought for my daughter for Christmas. (Waiting for littlewaywelt to pounce on me for saying that)
    Cool, thanks for letting me know.
    daThomas and other X5 owners: a three contact patch cable should work like a normal wired headset on the treo, so you dont have to connect it via bluetooth if you don't want to to get the mic to work. I just soldered a patch cable from some old headsets and tested it with the audio streamer dongle. In nomal mode using the audio streamer, it works like a regular stereo headset. If you get a call in, the music stops. If you answer, you can activate the voice call mode by pressing the power button once, so the mic will work. After finishing the call, press the button again to go back to normal mode. The only issue I have found so far is that the phone ringing doesn't go to the headset, but rather the speaker/vibration unit, but that is probably because I am in the normal mode when the call comes in.

I'm going to test setting up the bluetooth connection next, to see if its better quality. But I'd thought I'd fill you guys in on my discovery.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post
    daThomas and other X5 owners: a three contact patch cable should work like a normal wired headset on the treo, so you dont have to connect it via bluetooth if you don't want to to get the mic to work. I just soldered a patch cable from some old headsets and tested it with the audio streamer dongle. In nomal mode using the audio streamer, it works like a regular stereo headset. If you get a call in, the music stops. If you answer, you can activate the voice call mode by pressing the power button once, so the mic will work. After finishing the call, press the button again to go back to normal mode. The only issue I have found so far is that the phone ringing doesn't go to the headset, but rather the speaker/vibration unit, but that is probably because I am in the normal mode when the call comes in.

I'm going to test setting up the bluetooth connection next, to see if its better quality. But I'd thought I'd fill you guys in on my discovery.
    Hey dartnouth,

Well I just received the:

and the:

and apparently the X5 needs the Audio Out Coupler big box thingy. I'm not sure what your soldering to get stereo from the dongle but if it's a smaller form factor than that ridiculous big black box thing, would love some instructions to do so myself. (not a big electronics whiz here so details would help.)

Other than that, after pairing the X5 for hands free, yup, an incoming call pauses the media player and a press of the headset call answer button and your on the phone. End call and media player un-pauses.

Now, I did stero headset pair the X5 with my media pc over a USB BT adapter and the sound was crap compared to using the dongle on the sound output.
    Hey daThomas,

I don't have the cable with me right now, but I'll take some pics later and see if I can find the other ends of the headphones I cut to give you an idea as to what to do. But basically, what I did was this:

1) grabbed an old set of 3.5mm headphones and cut off the male plug with an inch of wire hanging off. I looked for one that had three contacts on the end of the plug (left channel, right channel, microphone). I had to do this a couple times because the first set of headphones I cut had internal wires that were insulation coated, and not the normal insulation that I could strip off with wire strippers. You will find three wires, one for each of the contacts on the plug. I used a multimeter in the continuity mode (detects when you found a path that is connected from end to end) to figure out which wire went with which contact.

Then I took an old 2.5mm headset for an old phone and did the same thing as i did for the 3.5mm side. I then soldered the corresponding wires for the 2.5mm and 3.5mm ends (outer contact on the 3.5mm plug goes to the outer contact on the 2.5mm plug, and so forth). I then used some liquid electrical tape to seal it up and keep each of the wires from touching the other ones. This left me with a male to male patch cable.

Plugging the 3.5mm end to the X5's audio streamer and the 2.5mm end to Treo, it seems to work like the headset that is included with the treo. Basically you can listen to music or whatever else would be coming out the speaker in the back on the headphones, and when a call comes in, you answer on the phone. Then you press the power button once on the X5 headset, and this puts you in voice mode. The microphone on the X5 is activated and you can talk and listen like you're using the wired headset. Hang up on the phone, and then press the power button on the x5 one more time to go back to music mode. No need to pair via bluetooth to the phone(which helps save battery!). The only thing is that when the phone rings, it doesn't ring through to the headset. Can someone confirm that it doesn't ring through to the wired headset either? ( i lost my wired headset a while back).

On another note, I need to try to see if voice commands will work through this method. Unfortunately you'd need to turn on VC by pressing a button on the phone, but at least you wouldn't need to speak into the treo's built in mic......

I think the audio coupler you bought is for certain headphones that don't match the impedence the treo expects, so the treo can't make sense of the signal. I haven't had much testing on my cable and set up yet, but so far this doesn't seem to be a problem with the X5, and it seems the treo can sense the audio streamer without the coupler just fine.

Also, to shed some light on the sound quality issue with your PC, I researched and found that the X5 audio streamer sounds better because it is using the A2DP profile for its connection to the headset. However, I bet the profile you used for the USB dongle to your PC only supported the X5 as a headset/handsfree. This profile is optimized for voice, and not music. A2DP allows for better quality and stereo sounds, which is why connecting via the audio streamer sounds better. I'm currently looking into getting a USB dongle that supports AVRCP and A2DP, but I'm not sure what to get yet. This way I can connect to my PC without having to use the dongle.

As a sidenote, when you press the power button to toggle between music and voice mode on the headset (when its paired to the audio streamer), you are really toggling between A2DP and handsfree profile, since A2DP doesn't support the mic....... Thats why you can connect via handsfree to the phone itself and A2DP to the audio streamer. However you need to remember to pair the handsfree profile to the phone first and then the A2DP to the audio streamer, otherwise the audio streamer connects to these two profiles and you can't connect to the phone......

Currently, my set up at work is I have the audio streamer connected to my PC so I can listen to music. Then I pair it with my phone so if a call comes in i can answer without taking off the headset. Its pretty neat.....
    After some more testing, I found a couple things:

1) Plugging in my cable would sometimes cause the treo to only output mono, and not stereo. pulling it out and plugging it back in a few times finally got me stereo. However, I think I found the trick to making it work all the time. I now plug in the cable to the treo first, and then plug the cable into the audio dongle. Will continue to test to see if this really works all the time.

2) I can do VC commands through the bluetooth headset by activating VC through the side button on the phone (I set up this hotkey), and then pressing the power button on my headset to go into voice mode.

I guess the only thing I've found is that I dont know when i'll actually be using the headset with the treo. Its too big to carry in my pocket, and I dont keep it in my car because I use it at work. Oh well, I might have to get my hands on those new Panasonic earbud type bluetooth headphones. Only thing is they are 150, and another 150 for the dongle.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post
    However, I think I found the trick to making it work all the time. I now plug in the cable to the treo first, and then plug the cable into the audio dongle. Will continue to test to see if this really works all the time.
    CRIPES! I think you're right. I just followed the same steps and have stereo without that stupid Seidio audio out coupler.

I'll let you know if it's consistent.
  10.    #50  
    So for the past few days I was floating around like a schoolgirl with a crush thanks to the solution for getting these Blue Ant head phones to work in stereo.

Then yesterday on the bus commute home the stereo action stops. I get SO DAMNED pissed! I try everything, resettin gthe Treo, unmounting the batteries from the dongle and headphones, power off power on. Pair, re-pair.

Turns out the problem is this cheap piece of crap:

Does ANYONE make products for Treos that don't fall apart in a month? Cripes! I thought Seidio was bad but this adapter fell apart in record time. Now I get to purchase another one. Joy.

The one I use from Radio Shack is one solid piece. Nothing to break other than the treo itself. The only problem is that it is a solid piece and therefore sticks out like a bat.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    The one I use from Radio Shack is one solid piece. Nothing to break other than the treo itself. The only problem is that it is a solid piece and therefore sticks out like a bat.
    Yea, I have a couple of those (how I tested and verified the headphones weren't the issue) but I'm paranoid those put a lot of strain on the treo headphone jack. Particularly when left in my holster, feels like the thing sticks out waiting to get bumped. I like the form factor of the pos above so guess I'll just be buying one a month. I'll think of it as a "subscription" or maybe like "sponsoring" my very own Chinese Pro Democracy prison laboror.

apologies if this post appears twice. I keep pushing the wrong button on my phone.

i'm warming to the dongle idea - only time I use treo for audio is books on tape at the gym.

what i'm most concerned about is whether any of these devices can cope with calls arriving from both a treo and a blackberry all while listening to audio on a laptop.

from what some of you are saying, it sounds like these 'phones might be better at this than usual as they have to handle switching from dongle-headphone pairing to phone-headset pairing.

steve

p.s. i'll leave my other thread to die off now that dongledom seems more appealing. although, seriously... there isn't an easy workaround that people have figured out for bt audio?
    Most any headphone/dongle combo can pair to a phone and to the dongle at the same time. I've never tried pairing to two phones and the dongle. I'm doubting that will work.

No there isn't any workaround other than using a dongle for bt audio.
    daThomas, sorry to hear about that. I hate when things don't work right, I managed to find a Wii last night only to find that the disk drive wasn't working!

If anything, you can make your own. Its not hard, but you will have to hack up a few headphones to do it.
    wow, check out the Jabra BT8010. It's a convertible headset/headphones with a boatload of features and can even connect to two devices at the same time. It doesn't come with a dongle, but Jabra already has one of those available.

http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/EM/EN/...10/JabraBT8010
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123