Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Yeah, so i saved up, got my new shiny toy, unboxed it, was happy with it for about a day them things started going wrong.......roaming, internet connecting whenever it wanted to, no mms and now..........no text messages. I love the way the phone looks and feels compared to my 650 but i didnt buy it for looks(ok, maybe i did a little) It seems the more time i spend with this phone, the more i hate it. Maybe its wm5 or maybe its the fact that i cant find anyone who knows or is willing to help with setting up the phone correctly to work with cingular butttttttttttt thats besides the point. I am going back to my 650 and hopefully a 680 in the near future, throughout all the discussions i have read i have seen people write about ending up with a very expensive paperweight or bricking their 750, mine is in excellent condition, like it just came out of the box and i plan to sell it for whatever i can get for it just to get rid of it sooooooooooooo keep an eye out for it on ebay.
  2. #2  
    No offense but there's not much required to get it to work with Cingular. Put the sim card in, hard reset. All the setting are there now, voicemail, data, sms, mms. Frankly I think some problems people encounter are that they are trying too hard to set things up. I've tried this on a couple of 750v's and they seem the same.

    I'd suggest a deep breath, a hard reset and trying again. There are lots of people here helping each other out.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    No offense but there's not much required to get it to work with Cingular. Put the sim card in, hard reset. All the setting are there now, voicemail, data, sms, mms. Frankly I think some problems people encounter are that they are trying too hard to set things up. I've tried this on a couple of 750v's and they seem the same.

    I'd suggest a deep breath, a hard reset and trying again. There are lots of people here helping each other out.
    Really? That's interesting. I wonder if that's just a Cingular sim thing, a Treo thing, or something in-between. I have done a hard reset with my ATT blue sim (in my KJAM) and had to manually make all the settings.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  4. phaijai's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #4  
    Maybe try flashing to the Cingular ROM and see what happens. I also recall someone mentioning that Cingular's website can text message the settings to your phone. I know that you have a problem receiving texts but maybe you can get something going.
  5. #5  
    I think it's a Treo thing. The Palm OS models do the same thing. You are right, I have tried other WM5 devices and they don't do this. Most recently I tried an HTC TyTN and you did have to manually set things up. I was really surprised when the first 750v I got after unlocking it, I put in the SIM and bingo it had all the settings in place.

    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Really? That's interesting. I wonder if that's just a Cingular sim thing, a Treo thing, or something in-between. I have done a hard reset with my ATT blue sim (in my KJAM) and had to manually make all the settings.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  6. #6  
    I would highly recommend NOT using the Cingular ROM that is floating around. It's clearly not the final version. A couple of people here have tried it and now regret it since they are seeing small problems with it. There is no Vodaphone ROM installer out there, so if you do it you will be stuck with a beta Cingular ROM and no way to go back.

    Quote Originally Posted by phaijai View Post
    Maybe try flashing to the Cingular ROM and see what happens. I also recall someone mentioning that Cingular's website can text message the settings to your phone. I know that you have a problem receiving texts but maybe you can get something going.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  7. #7  
    I just picked up my treo 750 last night. To test it i threw my sim in there and at first couldnt get it to call out ( U on the top bar ) I think after a minute it switched to ( G ) And since works great... i get my voicemails, texts and phone calls works great. Im not flashing it till some thing concrete is out.
  8. phaijai's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #8  
    I guess I might be one of the few people who have had a good experience with the Cingular ROM. My signal has been better with no decrease in stability of the OS.
  9.    #9  
    well maybe that was my problem, after i flashed the rom everything else started going wrong besides the roaming issue. My kast resort before geting rid of the phone is updating the sim card to a cingular sim instead of att..wish me luck
  10. #10  
    I found 750v is a pleasure to use. It is the best wm5 device i have ever used. Waiting to get a 680 for a comparison
  11. Hanuman's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #11  
    I'd bet a lot of people are also having problems switching from the Palm OS to the WM5. I know I'm very familiar with the Palm and when I use a buddies 700w, I'm completely lost.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
  12. Stublue's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #12  
    It's true, going from a palm OS to WM5 is a bit of a shock! I traded in my treo 650 and got the 750v and now I have to worry about the registry when trying to change things, closing programs down, and the like. I think the most irritating thing is that most installation packages come as exe files rather than cab. From a Mac user POV that really bites.

    But for what it does, it's pretty amazing, connecting to email servers, running medical software and a palm OS emulator for those bits of software I can't get on WM5. Just a matter of time and getting used to it!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stublue View Post
    It's true, going from a palm OS to WM5 is a bit of a shock! I traded in my treo 650 and got the 750v and now I have to worry about the registry when trying to change things, closing programs down, and the like. I think the most irritating thing is that most installation packages come as exe files rather than cab. From a Mac user POV that really bites.

    But for what it does, it's pretty amazing, connecting to email servers, running medical software and a palm OS emulator for those bits of software I can't get on WM5. Just a matter of time and getting used to it!


    Is there a Palm Version of this phone?

    A friend told me the local Cingular store has them in stock...but I used her 700w and I'm not a WM5 fan so far....maybe it's just that I'm used to the Palm but the Palm seems more user friendly and able to modify....is that correct?
  14. #14  
    There's no Palm version of the 750, and there likely won't be. Palm OS does not have internal support for the 3G protocols (UMTS, HSDPA) required by the carriers, and it's unlikely that Palm or any carrier is going to invest the effort to retrofit this into Palm OS given that it's essentially a dead end. Access is working on a Linux-based follow-on that will replace Palm OS at the "kernel" level, so any R&D anyone puts into Palm OS at this level will be a throw-away.

    Expect only lower-end phones to carry Palm OS until something else comes along. And/or WM5 will be adopted (sadly) across the board.

    If you don't care about the 3G speeds, then the Treo 680 is your best bet - Palm OS on a phone with the same essential form factor, just no 3G.
  15. #15  
    Yeah the Treo 680 is pretty well the closest thing you are going to get to a Palm OS 750v.
    Palm Treo 750v
    Running on Three Australia
    1GB miniSD - Bluetooth GPS - Nokia CK-1W Car-Kit
  16.    #16  
    treo 680.....dont like the fact that they moved the home button to the right side of the phone or that they moved the menu button to the bottom of the keypad, dont like the fact that i cant disconnect the web session without having to turn the phone off. I do like however the screen compared to the 750v and the loud ringer volume compared to the low ring volume on the 750.....I dont understand why the vibration on the 680 and the 750 are different, the 750's is long and hardly noticeable while the 680's is like my trusty 650's....... pulsing. The new start page on the 680 is cool but there should be an option that allows you to hide all the tabs at the bottom to free up more screen space. Overall i like the 680 better than the 750 but that might change......Just a thought though is it possible to gut the 750 and the 680 and switch their housings?
  17. #17  
    Doubtful, as for starters their SIM slots are in different places, and the 750v uses miniSD vs. 680 using SD.

    Why would you want to anyway? They are almost the same as it is?
    Palm Treo 750v
    Running on Three Australia
    1GB miniSD - Bluetooth GPS - Nokia CK-1W Car-Kit

Posting Permissions