Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have their 750 (with TomTom or any other GPS software) working reliably with their Bluetooth GPS? If so, could you please provide details on how you have your GPS configured in Windows Mobile?

By "reliably", I mean you can take a trip with directions and TomTom tracks your route throughout without long pauses, without losing GPS lock even though the GPS has a perfectly good position lock, etc. I'm trying to use the same GPS unit I used with my Treo 650 and Mapopolis, where it worked just great, and with the 750 and TomTom I get this intermittent behavior that renders it pretty useless.

I'm not sure at this point whether to blame TomTom, the 750 Bluetooth stack, or some other aspect of the 750. Any help would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I've had no problems using TomTom Navigator 5 on my 750v using TomTom's own BT GPS receiver. Just selected it within Navigator and it worked straight away. The only issue is you have to have the phone part on for it to work, turn the phone part off and it complains that it can't communicate with the GPS receiver.
  3.    #3  
    I'm beginning to suspect the Bluetooth stack on the 750. It seems to be more stable if I stop and start the Bluetooth before firing up TomTom and connecting to the GPS. I've tried stopping all other programs (in case it was a CPU/memory contention issue), with no affect.

Has anyone else been using TomTom 6 with their 750 and a BT GPS?
  4.    #4  
    Well, I confirmed that at least part of the problem is the Bluetooth stack. I have a handsfree unit installed in my car, and when I removed that device from my BT config on the 750, TomTom started acting (almost) normal. There are occasional pauses and inaccurate positions, but it works 90+% of the travel time, as opposed to 20% before. I'm still hoping to eliminate the remaining issues - it's possible that TomTom isn't happy with my particular GPS (a Socket model from a few years ago), or perhaps I need to tune the Windows Mobile settings somehow.

So it seems the BT stack and/or the GPS handling on the 750 doesn't deal well with multiple devices connected concurrently. I think this was reported elsewhere on this forum as well, so this is just more evidence for that.
    It might be an issue with the Treo operating with the bluetooth in your car. I know there are serious problems with the 750v frequently completely messing up the bluetooth connection with my car (2006 BMW 330i). But the bluetooth seems to work OK with a headset and computer. The bluetooth on the 750v certainly has problems with some devices.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  6.    #6  
    It's possible, though I have used the 750 with my car handsfree with no problems. Granted, I've only used it a few times since I've moved to the 750, so perhaps I just haven't hit the problem with the handsfree yet.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I just completed today a 520+ mile trip with the 750v, TomTom 5 and a BT GPS (BlueLogger). I also used a Jabra 10 simultaneously. I had no problems whatsoever. TomTom 5 seem to run a little slow on the 750 compared to the 650 but that only seems to show up when calculating and recalculating routes. It never got off course and never dropped the BT connection. A couple of times I stopped and took the 750 with me and it reconnected to the GPS as soon as I got back automatically. Calls also did not disrupt the GPS connection.

I will say that it took me a while to initially link it up several days ago. I ended up creating a new port for the BlueLogger GPS connection. I have also connected with a different BT GPS similarly with no problems. This second GPS is a GlobalStat BT-338.
  8.    #8  
    Interesting - would you mind sharing your GPS port setup in the Settings->System->GPS section, as well as any Bluetooth COM ports you've set up in the Settings->Connections->Bluetooth section? I don't think I've messed up anything there, since TomTom can see the GPS (most of the time), but perhaps there's an issue in my settings...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I did not modify the default GPS settings at all. They are runing on "automatically configure". In the BT settings, I added a com 8 for the Bluelogger and com 4 for the GlobalStat. I did this by choosing the Incoming port first as I remember it. Outgoing then is automatic. In TomTom preferences, I went through the "Show GPS status window to the "Configue GPS" button. From there I selected "Other BT GPS" and then selected the com port that was related to the GPS I was using. If I change GPSs, I have to change the TomTom port again, otherwise I haven't needed to access this screen again.
  10.    #10  
    The TomTom part makes sense, but I'm still a bit confused about the WM settings. Setting up an incoming BT COM port doesn't allow you to specify the device that's connecting, and I think you need to set up an outgoing port anyways (since the 750 is connecting to the BT GPS, not the other way around). So did you set up a COM4 and COM8 *outgoing* port in the BT settings?

Your configuration is how I currently have mine set up, but I still have issues with the GPS data stream stalling periodically. When this happens, I'll look at the GPS status in TomTom, and it will show a lock and a valid position, but the data will be static with no updates coming in, even though I'm driving down the road. It's as if the connection has locked up, and/or the GPS itself is stuck trying to send updates over the connection. I think there is a compatibility issue with my BT GPS and either TomTom or the 750 itself.
  11.    #11  
    I confirmed that the remainder of my problems were related to my BT GPS unit. I was using an old(er) Socket model, which worked fine with my 650, but not with the newer BT stack on the 750. It's possibly a Bluetooth 1.2 compatibility issue (this receiver has a 1.0 or 1.1 stack, I'm not sure which).

I bought a GlobalSat BT359 receiver, and all is well. No stuttering, no blackouts with no GPS updates, etc. No need for GPSGate, either, which I had hoped would fix the issue with the Socket GPS (no such luck).

So TomTom 6 and my 750 are now humming along with the new GlobalSat unit.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Treocentral's store has tested the new TomTom 6 bundle (
    Part# A1550 Mnf# 1T50080) released two days ago and found that it is compatible with the 750. Louis, one of their sales people, took the initiative and asked their warehouse to check it out. Like the rest of us, they also found the Palm version of TomTom 6 to incompatible.

I should have one early next week and will report back
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I don't know if someone will be able to help me out, because it's quite tricky:

I have installed TomTom on its latest version (6.020 I believe). I have then paired the Adapt bluetooth GPS and then gone to Preferences/GPS on Tomtom and set "Other bluetooth GPS" as GPS device. Then I am prompted to select a Port. I have tried with all of them but nothing. The worse of it is that TomTom asks to reset every time to confirm the GPS set up.

I forgot to mention that I have paired the Treo with a Motorola handsfree as well. Any hint??
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    When you paired the GPS receiver did you not assign a port there?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    When you paired the GPS receiver did you not assign a port there?
    Yes, serial port
    Just so I am clear.....Tom Tom 6 does work with the Treo 750 right?
    Can anyone confirm this?
  18.    #18  
    Yes, TomTom 6 does work on the 750. But, as detailed in the rest of this thread, there are install issues with some bundles. Read the rest of this thread for the details.

I have TomTom 6 working on my 750, works great.
    Thanks!
    I like the TomTom software, but Man what a hassle to use the purchased software on a different PDA. Those of us that change phones like underwear have "issues" getting Tom Tom to work on multiple devices. I'm hanging on to my Garmin.
    They're just tech Toys Folks, There IS a higher power.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast