1.    #1  
    I have an excel spreadsheet that i keep on my server/shared network. I keep it there so several users in my office can view it on their computers. I update this spreadsheet daily and i am adding stuff daily.

Is there a way to copy the spreadsheet to my treo? And how would it get updated on the Treo when i make changes on the computer? Every time i sync?

Please help! This spreadsheet is my whole business and i really need it mobile.
    You would have to place the spreadsheet in the synchronization folder that resides on your PCs desktop. (The one created when you check off file sync in the activesync options) However, you would have to replace the spreadsheet in that folder every time you update the master copy.

The other option would be to set up a VPN and access the original copy over the air as you need it.

There may be other ways to do this as well.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    If you are the only one to make changes to the spreadsheet, can you just e-mail it to yourself after you change it? I wonder if there is a way to automatically do that when the date changes on a file. I like the VPN idea too.

Greg
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    If you are the only one to make changes to the spreadsheet, can you just e-mail it to yourself after you change it? I wonder if there is a way to automatically do that when the date changes on a file. I like the VPN idea too.

Greg
    I think he said,

"that i keep on my server/shared network. I keep it there so several users in my office can view it on their computers"

so that is not going to work.

To original poster: Try a thing called SyncToy from MS and see if that meets your needs.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I think he said,

"that i keep on my server/shared network. I keep it there so several users in my office can view it on their computers"

so that is not going to work.

To original poster: Try a thing called SyncToy from MS and see if that meets your needs.
    Sure it would. Keep it on the server so they can see it and e-mail it so he has it on the Treo. He said

so several users in my office can view it
    Nothing about them updating it. And he said

And how would it get updated on the Treo when i make changes on the computer?
    Nothing about updating it from the Treo.

Greg
  6.    #6  
    Thank you everyone for your replies.. Let me clarify a couple of things:
    1) I am the only person who updates the log
    2) I dont need to edit it from mobile

tell me more about this VPN. I dont know anything about that..
    So basically if every day, i deleted the short cut to the spreadsheet in my sync folder, and replaced with the updated spreadsheet - that would do it?

Seems like a pain - it would definitely be worth it. If anyone has a better solution please let me know!
    Thanks again!!
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    tell me more about this VPN. I dont know anything about that..
    VPN is a virtual private network. It is setting up a connection between your phone, in this case, and your company network. You would then be able to access the network and the file on the server. I haven't done it with my phone.
  8.    #8  
    VPN is a virtual private network. It is setting up a connection between your phone, in this case, and your company network. You would then be able to access the network and the file on the server. I haven't done it with my phone.
    Wow - that is really cool! Would i have to go on the internet on my phone to do this? That would be a pain for me - especially since I dont have EVDO..

I tried the Copy paste thing and that seems to work! But of course i'll have to do it every day or else my spreadsheet will be out of date..

Something strange - why did the colors change on my spreadsheet? On the computer, the colors in my worksheet are green and light green.. But on the phone the colors are pink and purple?!? Thats weird..
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Wow - that is really cool! Would i have to go on the internet on my phone to do this? That would be a pain for me - especially since I dont have EVDO..
    Yes you would have to have internet connection to do it. That's how the tunnel between your phone and your server would occur. That's out since you don't have internet.

Might be best to e-mail the spreadsheet to yourself after you update it.

Greg
  10.    #10  
    Yes you would have to have internet connection to do it. That's how the tunnel between your phone and your server would occur. That's out since you don't have internet.

Might be best to e-mail the spreadsheet to yourself after you update it.

Greg
    I do have internet - just not EVDO.. So i would imagine that it would take a while to do this.. This would be the best solution - but maybe not the most convenient for me..

Thanks !
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    What about Avvenu?
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE View Post
    Sure it would. Keep it on the server so they can see it and e-mail it so he has it on the Treo. He said

Nothing about them updating it. And he said

Nothing about updating it from the Treo.

Greg
    You are right, I am wrong.
    What about the Briefcase feature built into Windows? Would that work?

The OP might want to screw around with that...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I haven't used it, but mightysync might fit the bill and its pretty cheap.

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...=32175&R=32175
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  15.    #15  
    What about Avvenu?
    Can you explain how this works? Do i have to go online (internet) on my treo to use this? Or does it connect similarly to the way Exchange activesync does?

Looks great though!
    What about using SharePoint to host the file? Then you have access to it whenever you want and you don't need to sync it.

You say you have a server already. SharePoint is a free add on if you have Windows Server....
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Can you explain how this works? Do i have to go online (internet) on my treo to use this? Or does it connect similarly to the way Exchange activesync does?

Looks great though!
    I thought about this a little more and, well I think you can only download, not upload as well, but I am not too sure.

The way it works is it gives you aceess to all your files via a web browser, it worked on Blazer, so I am sure it will work with PIE.
    Like was suggested earlier, you could use SyncToy for XP to sync.

SyncToy can sync the Spreadsheet from the shared drive to your Phone sync folder so that it will be up to date after every change.

You could edit the file on you local machine (in your PPC sync folder) then it would sync to your phone, and the Shared drive via SyncToy.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...o/synctoy.mspx