Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I know there are already a bunch of reviews / opinions of the 750v in this forum, but I just got my 750v this week and wanted to add mine. I have used both the Palm OS and the WM OS in the past, so I thought my opinion might be a little useful to others.

I have been back and worth between the Palm OS and the Windows OS a couple times. Back in the day I had a Moto MPX-200 and then an MPX-220. Both ran the MS Smartphone OS.

Over time I finally migrated to the Treo 650 and have used that device for the past year+.

I tried to move back to a WM5 device a couple months ago, giving the Cingular 8125 a try. I kept it for a little over a month and finally just gave up on it. It just wasn't easy to use. I eventually went back to my Treo 650 and realized just how easy the Treo is to use. My thoughts at that time were that the Palm OS was much easier to use than WM5. This was somewhat off base (explained below).

This week I gave the 750v a try and my opinion has changed drastically. I'm not going to make this long and drawn out, reviewing the hardware. That has been done many times. In short, I really like the new device from a hardware perspective.

I have configured my 750v to connect to my companies VPN over the air.
    This enables me to sync to my exchange server, access company intranet websites, "remote desktop" into our Windows servers in my home office, etc. You get the idea. I am fully on my companies network using the built in "Connection Manager". These are things that I couldn't do with my 650.

So I have come to realize two things.
    1) I like the WM5 OS. It makes me much more productive than the POS.
    2) My initial impression that the POS was easier to use was just an illusion. What is actually easier to use is the Treo itself. I hated the 8125 running WM5. I love the 750v running the same OS.
    You make a heck of a point when you say:
    My initial impression that the POS was easier to use was just an illusion. What is actually easier to use is the Treo itself. I hated the 8125 running WM5. I love the 750v running the same OS.
    You found out what is is that Palm is trying to do. And that isnt a bad thing. Usability is a heck of a thing to associate with a device, and if you can do it across various OSes, applications, workflows, etc. it makes for a heck of a complelling product. It's one reason why many here have a hard time giving up the PalmOS; so much of the use is tied into the simple usability that HASN'T been transferred to other devices/OSes.

Its also interesting that you find that WM5 is more productive for you. The barrier of usability has been taken away and then the OS can do what it really needs to do - make you productive. Very interesting. You might have unlocked the secret sauce and I will not be at all surprised how many Nokia/SE/HTC developers/UI designers see or hear of your comments or something similar and work that angle even more into the brand management of their respective devices.

Seriously, you have no idea (or maybe you do) about the paradigm shift that Palm has done that you uncorked. Neat

EDIT: Addition - I just posted a further thought out version of this post at my personal site so as to keep this on topic.
    Last edited by Antoine of MMM; 11/16/2006 at 10:15 AM.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.