Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    6 weeks with both..
    I've gravitated towards using the Treo during the course of the day when lots of calling and texting are needed.....
    and the TyTn for internet , heavy emailing/data entry, and multimedia use.
    I love the bigger screen and typing with that keybrd.
    I've heard HTC will come out with an updated Dash-style device...with full 3G capability and scroll wheel.
    It's the onlything that'd fulfill my vision of what a fully functional...fully converged device would be.
    I assume Palm'd eventually respond with a larger screen vertical slide keyboard of some sort.
    But for right now 2 devices fill both ends for me...and if I was forced to decide....I'd part with the 750.
    (Even on the Palm the majority of my data entry is with 2 thumbs anyway except for only the quickest texts or emails............calling is all onehanded on both devices).
    Could you list the

Pros, Cons, and Washes (about even) for each?

I'm highly motivated to figure out which one I want. It may come down to whether I want to check out each one individually before deciding.

What about the form factor?
    Do you care that you have to slide out the keyboard all the time?
    How did you get around the lack of a menu button in some apps?, a lal "menu + C = copy in the palm os, but unless there's that built into the app, you can't use it on WM5.
    That would help me as well. I really love my 750, but all these good reviews and great features of the Cingular 8525 has me wondering if thats a good device for me.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by rockky View Post
    ...clip...
    a larger screen vertical slide keyboard of some sort.
    ...clip...
    I thought about that also.
    Which would seem to be more 1 handed user friendly,
    best of both worlds.
    Just call me Berd.
    When does the Cingular 8525 go on sale anyways? I thought it was this week? I will probably try it for 30 days when it comes out. I never owned a keyboard that slides out. That would be my only issue from what I can tell. The upside to that is the larger keyboard.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    When does the Cingular 8525 go on sale anyways? I thought it was this week? I will probably try it for 30 days when it comes out. I never owned a keyboard that slides out. That would be my only issue from what I can tell. The upside to that is the larger keyboard.

Some are already getting it today.
    'Officially' it supposed to be in stores tomorrow.
    Just call me Berd.
    Really? I just got off the phone with Cingular and ask them when they are getting them. Of course I either didn't get a straight answer or the lady had no clue what I was talking about. Probably both. I will check with the stores tomorrow. I hope you are right.
    Last edited by brmcguire; 11/15/2006 at 07:17 PM.
    Brian McGuire
    Everyone has their own preference. But I tried the TyTN (very similar to the 8525) for three weeks. Other than the data downloade speed I hated it. Poor screen (forget it in sunlight), ergonomics that didn't fit me at all, and much worse one handed access. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole unless I had a separate phone also.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Everyone has their own preference. But I tried the TyTN (very similar to the 8525) for three weeks. Other than the data downloade speed I hated it. Poor screen (forget it in sunlight), ergonomics that didn't fit me at all, and much worse one handed access. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole unless I had a separate phone also.
    Wow, was it that bad? Everything I read it sounds like it kicks ****. I can see your points though. I might try it for 30 days to come to a conclusion. I might walk away the same way.
    Brian McGuire
    I tried both, prefer 750v because it is a phone-first device
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    well I've used every treo thru the 700p and sure you miss the feel of the sleeker form factor..........................
    regardless the TyTn is the best overall device I've tried....and I do want and need the strong pda side of device functionality.
    Going to the keyboard is a smooth even one handed maneuver taking approximately 1 second....leading to twice the freedom and enjoyability with regard to data entry.
    There is a free app at xda-dev. w/ a today plugin that when outside makes the screen brighter than the treo650.
    The treo IS the best lookin one yet, and edges (barely) the tytn in onehandedness (which treo folks bow down to of course)....but that's it.
    I do love my 750 for those reasons but LOVE puttin the sim back in the treo after work and lettin the fun begin!
    (actually I'm using my tytn more and more at work and might sell the treo.....if your in chicago....e-mail me and we might swing a deal).
    Last edited by rockky; 11/15/2006 at 09:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Wow, was it that bad? Everything I read it sounds like it kicks ****. I can see your points though. I might try it for 30 days to come to a conclusion. I might walk away the same way.
    When I was looking for information about the 8125, everything I read made it sound like it should kick ****. Once you buy it, that's a different story. The phone is terrible. 200mhz processor... what a joke. I had to make a warranty exchange because my touchscreen stopped calibrating properly. They sent me a new phone kit, so I sent them my old kit back. I'm selling the new 8125 kit on ebay item link, for anyone interested.

Right now I'm using a Nokia 6010 until the 680 comes out. I'm really diggin' these polyphonic ringtones.
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    When I was looking for information about the 8125, everything I read made it sound like it should kick ****. Once you buy it, that's a different story. The phone is terrible. 200mhz processor... what a joke. I had to make a warranty exchange because my touchscreen stopped calibrating properly. They sent me a new phone kit, so I sent them my old kit back. I'm selling the new 8125 kit on ebay item link, for anyone interested.

Right now I'm using a Nokia 6010 until the 680 comes out. I'm really diggin' these polyphonic ringtones.
    No offense ... but you are advertising on eBay that this is a brand new device. However, when warranty exchanges are issued by Cingular, they give you a factory reconditioned/refurbished phone.
    I had a I-mate K-jam, and while it was a nice phone, I have come to the conclusion that I really don't like phones that have moving parts. I think that the 750 is the best WM5.0 "phone" out there. We all know if you've seen one WM5 phone you've pretty much seen them all. But with the Treo it's in a class all by it's self. IMO of course.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilveR View Post
    No offense ... but you are advertising on eBay that this is a brand new device. However, when warranty exchanges are issued by Cingular, they give you a factory reconditioned/refurbished phone.
    No offense taken. I always thought that refurbished phones came as just the phone, and new phones came in a new box with new accessories. A while back when I exchanged my Treo because of its resets, I was first sent a refurbished phone because just a Treo was sent. The second time I exchanged, the rep told me that he would be sending a new, non-refurb Treo. It came in a new Treo 650 box. I assumed that the 8125 was brand new because it was in a new box.

I'll just go update the listing.. no big deal.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i too had the Tytn and i agree it is a wonderful device; it fits the PDA first/Phone second category. for me, the phone part of the tytn/8525 was not up to my standard. i felt the call volume was too low (at the highest setting) and i had trouble with the dialpad. missed keys, slow response to key presses, etc. i wanted a PPC that was a phone first/PDA second: for me, the 750v fits the bill. the call volume/quality of the 750v is the best i've used. the palm customizations work very well with the way i use the device. and then of course there's the 750v's form factor. in my (humble) opinion, the 750v wins hands down (vs. the tytn/85325).

as others have said, it boils down to personal choice/criteria: do you want a faster processor at the expense of battery life? do you want that beautiful screen vs the square screen? one-handed vs. two-handed operation? etc., etc., etc....

in the last 8 weeks, i've had the Samsung i320, the Tytn, the Dash, the 3125, the Q and the 750v. i chose the 3125 (mainly for the mp3/WM5 combo) and the 750v. i use the Q when i'm in the boonies and verzion is the only player in town. i am very happy with the 750v (and the 3125).
    Last edited by cortez.i; 11/15/2006 at 10:11 PM.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    Well as I said everyone has their preferences. I personally just hate the form factor. It never feels solid enough for me. It always feels like the keyboard is about to open. I hate opening and closing the slider and found it a pain to use as a web browser or email without the slider open, but as a phone you need it closed.

What I don't understand is the screen. I thought it was terrible. Mediocre indoors and absolutely unusable outdoors. But nobody ever says anything bad about it in reviews. The 750v screen kicks it's **** up and down the road as far as I'm concerned. If somebody loves it, great I'm happy for you. But I'll never touch it and it makes me very suspicious about some of the reviews I read. If you can really read that screen outdoors than I must be going blind because it was worse than even the Sony Ericsson T610 I had a long time ago and it was terrible.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I may still end up w/ the 750.
    My 650 has been fantastic.
    So I know I will love the 750.
    I still want to give the 8525 a chance.
    I read a lot on my treo, and so I would like to see how the bigger screen might work.

Besides, I've pretty much decided to wait for the cing branded treo anyway.
    And since according to .7 the 750 has been delayed further, I will atleast have 3G for 30 days.
    And maybe by then the 750 will be out.

Note to self:
    Get up Tomorrow.
    Drive to Cing Store.
    Buy an 8525.
    Just call me Berd.
    People who like the TyTn/8525/8125 list the keyboard as a asset for text entry over the Treo style keyboard. But I got an 8125 (returned it) and I personally think the 8125 keyboard was worse than the 650. The keys seemed too large/too far apart for a thumb keyboard. Just too far for my thumbs to travel between letters. I actually type slower and miss more keys on it. Maybe part of it is the flatness of the keys which I dindn't care for. I prefer the closer travel between the small Treo keys.
    I'm admittedly biased. I've used Treos for 3 years so I'm really used to it. I also don't have particularly large hands.
    Secondly I agree with the "solid" device preference. In under a month the 8125 keyboard losened up enough so that it felt like it was always going to slide open on me.
    Berninkerdickle, I think you absolutely should take advantage of that 30 day return policy with the 8525. See for yourself it's right for you. That's why I got the 8125, to help me decided on the 8525 or Treo 750 and only because it was only a $200 refurb. The 8125 was supposed tide me over until the 8525. Prior to that I was 100% set on getting the 8525, now I'm certain on the 750.
    Now reports of the 750 going not-very-well and delayed until at least Jan, I'm considering the 750v.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast