Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    People who like the TyTn/8525/8125 list the keyboard as a asset for text entry over the Treo style keyboard. But I got an 8125 (returned it) and I personally think the 8125 keyboard was worse than the 650. The keys seemed too large/too far apart for a thumb keyboard. Just too far for my thumbs to travel between letters. I actually type slower and miss more keys on it. Maybe part of it is the flatness of the keys which I dindn't care for. I prefer the closer travel between the small Treo keys.
    I'm admittedly biased. I've used Treos for 3 years so I'm really used to it. I also don't have particularly large hands.
    Secondly I agree with the "solid" device preference. In under a month the 8125 keyboard losened up enough so that it felt like it was always going to slide open on me.
    Berninkerdickle, I think you absolutely should take advantage of that 30 day return policy with the 8525. See for yourself it's right for you. That's why I got the 8125, to help me decided on the 8525 or Treo 750 and only because it was only a $200 refurb. The 8125 was supposed tide me over until the 8525. Prior to that I was 100% set on getting the 8525, now I'm certain on the 750.
    Now reports of the 750 going not-very-well and delayed until at least Jan, I'm considering the 750v.
    I second that: the 8125's keyboard is harder to use than the Treo's. I do not have small hands. I just think that the layout of the symbols is not as intuitive as the Treo's, and the numbers being horizontal instead of being arranged like a dialpad are a huge turnoff for me. I'm glad the TyTn rectifies that. My 8125 got loose after a month as well, and if I was walking with it on just a belt clip, sometimes it would slide half-open.
    This is a fabulous thread! I'm glad that so many of us have waffled between the two phones.

I've never tried the 8125 but this afternoon I will have the 8525 in my hands. I've been using the 750v for about 4 days now and I have been very impressed by it....but I still have a bit of a wandering eye which is why I ordered the 8525 yesterday.

I'll add my thoughts after I've had a few days with both.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    yes, to me it's not a 'which is better' point but which serves individual preferences best.
    i'm on line on the go a lot... and as a surfing experience there just is no comparison.
    for the quick text, call, reception etc.... edge goes to 750 for sure.
    BUT......rumor is...HTC has an upgraded Dash form by next summer
    with querty,3G, scroll wheel, wifi etc...and the game WILL be over then.
    This is very true. There is no single answer for everyone. For me the TyTN is definitely not what I want but might be right for someone else.

I haven't seen the Dash in person. Has anyone seen one that has a Treo 750? How does it compare in size? No 3G right now makes it a non-starter for me. But if it was upgraded to a tri-mode UMTS like the 750 it might be worth looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by rockky View Post
    yes, to me it's not a 'which is better' point but which serves individual preferences best.
    i'm on line on the go a lot... and as a surfing experience there just is no comparison.
    for the quick text, call, reception etc.... edge goes to 750 for sure.
    BUT......rumor is...HTC has an upgraded Dash form by next summer
    with querty,3G, scroll wheel, wifi etc...and the game WILL be over then.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    This is very true. There is no single answer for everyone. For me the TyTN is definitely not what I want but might be right for someone else.

I haven't seen the Dash in person. Has anyone seen one that has a Treo 750? How does it compare in size? No 3G right now makes it a non-starter for me. But if it was upgraded to a tri-mode UMTS like the 750 it might be worth looking at.
    The Dash is right about the size of the old Ipaq 4150. When I had my iPaq 4150, I said back then if a phone could be made in that form factor, I would be all over it. Well, here it is and since it doesn't have 3G (and it's a smartphone OS device), I guess I wont be "all over it".
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I've seen many Dashes popping up at work. The form factor is very impressive. The day that someone can combine a Dash form factor (and features) with PPC I'll take two!

Plus, it's beyond me how the Dash can fit WiFi in it's slim case but Palm won't cram a transmitter into the Treos.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

i had the Dash for 2 weeks... is about the same height and width of the 750v but much thinner and weighs less. it's a nice phone, but i had PPC witdrawals and opted for the 750v.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    Quote Originally Posted by rockky View Post
    There is a free app at xda-dev. w/ a today plugin that when outside makes the screen brighter than the treo650.
    Please share this...

I couldn't find the link on XDA-Dev.
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    I second that: the 8125's keyboard is harder to use than the Treo's. I do not have small hands. I just think that the layout of the symbols is not as intuitive as the Treo's, and the numbers being horizontal instead of being arranged like a dialpad are a huge turnoff for me. I'm glad the TyTn rectifies that. My 8125 got loose after a month as well, and if I was walking with it on just a belt clip, sometimes it would slide half-open.
    I have to eat my words on this statement. While the 8125's keyboard sucks, the 8525's is quite nice. The keys are smaller as well as arranged differently. Similar flat style key, but otherwise I really like the cingular 8525 keyboard, although I still don't prefer this style form factor. I think if I were asked to write 1000 words on one keyboard over the other I'd definately pick the 8525's, but I'd prefer not having a slide out keyboard on my Phone/PDA for normal use. I would NOT pick the 8125's though, I really didn't like it.
    I'm still waiting for the 750, but I couldn't resist getting the 8525 in the mean time since it could be a few months before the 750 comes out (who knows.)
    Besides the screen not being bright enough, there's not much I don't like about the 8525, I think it's a great phone. I'm pretty sure I'll like the Treo 750 more for a few reasons.

I also must add that with the good 3g coverage around here, I have hardly cared that this has WiFi. I don't thik I'll miss it on the 750. The Spectec miniSD wifi card will be just fine for the relatively rare time's I'll want it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT View Post
    Please share this...

I couldn't find the link on XDA-Dev.

Did you find it yet?
    Just call me Berd.
    No....you?
    No....you?
    Nope,

Maybe rocky will come back at give us the link.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...e=Hermes_Utils

VJLumos III (Hermes only)
    VJLumos is used to take advantage of the brief flash of extra brightness you see when you start the camera. VJLumos puts your device into that extra bright mode (semi-)permanently.
    Just wanted to post my 2 cents worth. I owned both the Cingular 8525 and Treo 750v for two weeks. The 8525 went back to the store today. Some of the reasons were:

Form factor- it was just too weird getting used to the sliding form factor of the 8525. Every time I would just grab the phone to talk on it, or take a picture or text someone, the keyboard would begin to slide open. It was SO irritating. There was no sort of "latch" to hold the slide closed. By contrast, I think we all know how superior the form factor of the 750 is, especially if you used the 650.

Dropped calls - After 20 minutes the phone would get warm and drop the call. Not sure why. Perhaps it had something to do with Cingular's "crippling" of the Band Selection option, not allowing someone to switch between GSM, UMTS and Auto.

No threaded SMS - I believe it had an all-in-one app for email, MMS and SMS. No threading to be found.

No "privacy option" for MMS/SMS - I have a lot of nosy girlfriends.

Battery life representation - Battery life seemed to be represented in 10% increments. Too difficult to accurately determine how much juice is left. I like the 1% increments displayed on the 750.

The screen - absolutely awful. Invisible in the daylight, and not nearly as clear as the 750.

Of course the biggest two selling points on the TyTn/8525 are WiFi and HSDPA. The 3G speed on the 8525 was at least twice as fast as the Treo 750. WiFi worked relatively well, but does not support WPA2 (router security). It will be difficult to not have these. The 8525 is a very cool device - however I'm way more satisfied with the Treo 750, being used as an everyday phone/PDA device and not a laptop replacement.
    Everyone has their own preference. But I tried the TyTN (very similar to the 8525) for three weeks. Other than the data downloade speed I hated it. Poor screen (forget it in sunlight), ergonomics that didn't fit me at all, and much worse one handed access. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole unless I had a separate phone also.
    Two posts in the thread about bad screen in sunlight. That's not good. Another thing, I held the TyTN to see if I honestly liked the form factor. Looking is one thing, hands on another. Now I'm less secure about being happy with the sliding keyboard. Reminds me a bit of the Sidekick, although of course MUCH more advanced. But I think I may have to go for the 750 too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Two posts in the thread about bad screen in sunlight. That's not good. Another thing, I held the TyTN to see if I honestly liked the form factor. Looking is one thing, hands on another. Now I'm less secure about being happy with the sliding keyboard. Reminds me a bit of the Sidekick, although of course MUCH more advanced. But I think I may have to go for the 750 too.
    Supposedly both screens are the same style - 65,000-color TFT/TFD (thin-film transistor/thin-film diode) screens. Apparently one of them is thinner than the other. The screen on the Cingular 8525 was completely washed out in sunlight. The 750 is noticeably easier to read.

As far as sliding keyboards, think of a Sidekick on anabolics. When the TyTN is opened and in landscape mode (using the keyboard), it is wonderful to use. Most of my disenchantment (with regard to form factor) came from using it as a phone, in it's closed form.

BTW, I feel like the keyboard on the 8525 became "looser" during the two weeks I used it.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Reminds me a bit of the Sidekick, although of course MUCH more advanced. But I think I may have to go for the 750 too.
    Now if HTC could make a flip-screen like the Sidekick, I'd buy that pretty quickly.
    I've had both for just over a week. initially I felt the 750 was way superior but some of the reasons why are being eroded.

I text a lot and having to slide out the keyboard was annoying me. since I found spb keyboard, I have been fine with the 8525.

the threaded sms issue is resolved somek.e hacked the 750 program and made it work for the 8525.

the 750 is easier to use as a phone but the 8525 is doable
    I've had both for just over a week. initially I felt the 750 was way superior but some of the reasons why are being eroded.

I text a lot and having to slide out the keyboard was annoying me. since I found spb keyboard, I have been fine with the 8525.

the threaded sms issue is resolved somek.e hacked the 750 program and made it work for the 8525.

the 750 is easier to use as a phone but the 8525 is doable
    Since I have the 750 I never had to install the hacked Threaded SMS app. Now that I might be moving over to the 8525, I will need to install it. Does it work well on the 8525? or is it buggy?
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Why are you planning to move to the 8525? Are you having issues with the 750?

Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    Since I have the 750 I never had to install the hacked Threaded SMS app. Now that I might be moving over to the 8525, I will need to install it. Does it work well on the 8525? or is it buggy?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast