Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'll apologize in advance for the hyperbole in my thread title... Nonetheless.. wtf? In the 36 hours I've had my 750v in my pocket, I've accidentally called friends 3 times, voicemail at least 10 times (that's the only speed dial I have set for exactly this reason), and randomly rescheduled a few meetings at the office via Blackberry Connect.

Am I the only one who (coming from a long line of Palm OS Treos) really misses the PalmOS-style key lock function? Did I miss something? I found the automatic device lock feature (where you have to enter a PIN/password after a user-configurable timeout), but that's annoying because 1) I don't want security, just protection from accidental dialing and 2) It should be (like the Treo 650) triggered by putting the phone into standby, not just a time-out.

I found software called "Automatic Keylock for Windows Mobile Smartphone" but it seems to barely work on the Treo 750v -- locking only works if you use the [ugly] screensaver function and is still too easy to unlock. If you're interested, see here:
    http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2860
    http://maniac.fschreiner.de/content/view/8/19/

Chris
    Try the built in keyguard rather than the lock. Winkey -> Settings -> Keyguard.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotChris View Post
    I'll apologize in advance for the hyperbole in my thread title... Nonetheless.. wtf? In the 36 hours I've had my 750v in my pocket, I've accidentally called friends 3 times, voicemail at least 10 times (that's the only speed dial I have set for exactly this reason), and randomly rescheduled a few meetings at the office via Blackberry Connect.

Am I the only one who (coming from a long line of Palm OS Treos) really misses the PalmOS-style key lock function? Did I miss something? I found the automatic device lock feature (where you have to enter a PIN/password after a user-configurable timeout), but that's annoying because 1) I don't want security, just protection from accidental dialing and 2) It should be (like the Treo 650) triggered by putting the phone into standby, not just a time-out.

I found software called "Automatic Keylock for Windows Mobile Smartphone" but it seems to barely work on the Treo 750v -- locking only works if you use the [ugly] screensaver function and is still too easy to unlock. If you're interested, see here:
    http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2860
    http://maniac.fschreiner.de/content/view/8/19/

Chris
    Keyguard will solve the problem of accidentally dialling. I agree that the lock facility on the 650 was much more user friendly than the one on the 750v
    Keyguard is what I use as well. It works fine for me. I have it locked once the power is off. So power on/center D-pad will unlock. I have been using my Treo's this way for years. I don't even think about the minor steps anymore.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  5.    #5  
    Ok, I'm officially an *****. Thanks to the TC forum for solving a case of operator idiocy. The keyguard setting does the trick!
    The keyguard is one of my favorite features on all the Treos. I wouldn't have gotten the 750v if it didn't have it.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The keyguard is one of my favorite features on all the Treos. I wouldn't have gotten the 750v if it didn't have it.
    Actually keyguard is only one lock provided by MS, which need PIN to unlock, same as the password in Palm. MS also provide the today plugin lock, which shows up in today (Treo 750v may disable it because of too little space.). VJ555 wrote a freeware to make it better: www.vijay5555.com

1. map it to a button hardware button, which will make it same as shift+power in treo 650/700.

2. install it as wakeup event, which will lock your devices everytime the device wakes up, which is same as the auto-lock in treo 650/700.

3. You can even install it as poweroff event, which will lock the devices once the device is power off. Basically it may be same as wakeup event option for end users.

vjdevicelock is freeware.
    Last edited by cellneuron; 11/15/2006 at 05:35 PM.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    I'm confused by your statements. Keyguard is how the Treo can do screen locking that is consistant between both the Palm OS and WM5 versions. I doubt it has anything to do with Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    Actually keyguard is only one lock provided by MS, which need PIN to unlock, same as the password in Palm. MS also provide the today plugin lock, which shows up in today (Treo 750v may disable it because of too little space.). VJ555 wrote a freeware to make it better: www.vijay5555.com

1. map it to a button hardware button, which will make it same as shift+power in treo 650/700.

2. install it as wakeup event, which will lock your devices everytime the device wakes up, which is same as the auto-lock in treo 650/700.

3. You can even install it as poweroff event, which will lock the devices once the device is power off. Basically it may be same as wakeup event option for end users.

Treo's do NOT have the MS Screenlock/Today Plugin. Palm put their own (much superior) version in.

The ONLY benefit of installing a 2nd keylock (like vj's or 'yet another device lock') is configuring it so that it only powers off the screen and locks it instead of powering off the device (like Palm Keyguard).

This way you can lock all the keys and stream music

Also, FYI: Option + End = Engage Keyguard

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I'm confused by your statements. Keyguard is how the Treo can do screen locking that is consistant between both the Palm OS and WM5 versions. I doubt it has anything to do with Microsoft.
    I am sorry about that since there is no specfic name for these two locks. Anyway, you have double locks in treo 750v. One is same as option+end key in treo 650, no password protected (keyguard), another is password-enabled device LOCK.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    You originally said the keyguard was provided by Microsoft. That is the confusion, keyguard on the Treo has nothing to do with Microsoft.

I am sorry about that since there is no specfic name for these two locks. Anyway, you have double locks in treo 750v. One is same as option+end key in treo 650, no password protected (keyguard), another is password-enabled device LOCK.
    You originally said the keyguard was provided by Microsoft. That is the confusion, keyguard on the Treo has nothing to do with Microsoft.
    Keyguard is provided by MS, from AKU 2.3. I believe treo use AKU3.2, so it should has this feature.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    No offense but you just aren't getting it. Keyguard is by Palm not Microsoft. It's on the Palm OS models and was a long long time before there even was a WM5 Treo. It is not by Microsoft.

Keyguard is provided by MS, from AKU 2.3. I believe treo use AKU3.2, so it should has this feature.
    Jumping to conclusions before you know the facts is a bad practice. These little chirps of displeasure leak into the mainstream beating down an otherwise great product. I hope everyone reads PAST the first post, and in the future READ THE MANUAL.

all in good fun

shawn
    Who are you replying to? I don't see anyone here jumping on the original poster.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnfb View Post
    Jumping to conclusions before you know the facts is a bad practice. These little chirps of displeasure leak into the mainstream beating down an otherwise great product. I hope everyone reads PAST the first post, and in the future READ THE MANUAL.

all in good fun

shawn
    No offense but you just aren't getting it. Keyguard is by Palm not Microsoft. It's on the Palm OS models and was a long long time before there even was a WM5 Treo. It is not by Microsoft.

I am sure I didn't get you. Do you mean Palm invent the word "keyguard" or Palm implement the keyguard for MS or Palm add the keyguard feature to their products only?

One fact I want to tell you, device lock (keyguard) exists in all WM5 machine (AKU 1.0 or higher). You may need check the AKU change log here.

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/art...aku3/pic06.png

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Palm implemented an option/preference called keyguard in the Palm OS and carried it over to the WM5 versions.

I'm sure that MS has some locking mechanism, but I think it's incorrect to say all WM5 devices have this. I tried an HTC TyTN about three months ago and I'm pretty sure it did not have this option.
    Palm implemented an option/preference called keyguard in the Palm OS and carried it over to the WM5 versions.

I'm sure that MS has some locking mechanism, but I think it's incorrect to say all WM5 devices have this. I tried an HTC TyTN about three months ago and I'm pretty sure it did not have this option.
    TyTN definitely has the device lock, I just used one a few days ago. All WM5 devices with AKU 1.0 and up have the devices lock, which is standard feature.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    TyTN definitely has the device lock, I just used one a few days ago. All WM5 devices with AKU 1.0 and up have the devices lock, which is standard feature.
    Good lord man!

You are not getting what I and bcaslis are saying!

This is NOT the same device lock that all WM5 devices have.

Palm devices do NOT have the MS device lock but their own, called KeyGuard. This is ONLY found on Palm devices.

Does your screen look like this? I think not... No offense, but if you do not have a Treo or have not handled one, do not comment on it.

Last edited by Malatesta; 11/16/2006 at 03:37 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast