Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I have tried for the past day straight trying to get MS ActiveSync to work properly, and it just has not. The process it goes through to sync is convoluted and just plain out difficult to use. Here are some other complaints from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I have had nothing but absolute issues with Activesync since it has been installed. I will get a clean sync one time, then I will get "Server is Busy" errors (85010017). It will not sync my email except as copies in a list that I can not assign accounts to specific folders. It corrupts my email in Outlook on my PC. Activesync crashes at random, then takes Outlook with it. I also get a few other errors which crop up randomly. It goes to sync every time I attach it, and THERE IS NO WAY TO off that "feature". I am using AS 4.5. Why MS would not just follow the path of "Hotsync" is beyond me. Is there any other programs for the 700WX with HotSync like functioning?

Also the syncing process in general is SLOW

Here is what I have done to try to get this working. In no particular order.

1) Detect an Repair Outlook
    2) Connected via USB
    3) Installed AS 4.5
    4) Deleted Partnership and remade partnership
    5) Reinstalled AS 4.5
    6) Check firewall
    7) Disabled Anti-Virus software
    8) Followed the 11 point instructions on TC

I am sure there are other measures I have tried to no avail.
    Bluetooth: My other complaints are the Bluetooth implementation is just as unnessecarily complicated as Activesync is.

Multitasking: is nice but why in the hell do the programs keep running in the background even if I hit the "X" in the upper right hand corner? I mean if all the "X" is going to do is minimize the window, then why not just use underscore "_" there instead? At least that would be a true representation of what it does.

One handed navigation: is implemented half-assed. Example: Because of above issue, programs continue to run in the background I must go into the Task manager to close left open programs.
    This is one of the spots I noticed that one hand operation is half assed, it works to close the first program, but trying to get a second one to close via nav is not going to happen as far as I can tell.

Pocket Outlook: has absolutely NO reason to be structured the way it is. I mentioned the issues I have with the way it syncs above. There is no real one handed op in POutlook as far as I can tell.

PIE: Is one nice feature of it. It renders very nicely and fast, but it ends there for me. In blazer I was able to scroll a page via the Nav button by simply hitting up or down and if I wanted hyperlinks I could hit right or left button on the Nav. Yet in PIE I hit every hyperlink on a page when I scroll with the Nav.. Valuable screen real estate is robbed by the button bar on the bottom.

BT DUN: There is no hack available to keep the PAM flag from being tripped.

Speed Dial: I seems to me that if I want NO more 2 speed dials showing on the Today screen then that is an impossibility if I have more than 2 speed dials.

I really like the Today screen. And I like the idea of multi-taksing but it just seems to me MS did not think this WM version out. There are just so many glaring holes to me.

I personally find the Palm version doing what it does and relatively well. For this reason the grass is looking greener on the Palm side than it ever has
    Just return it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Just return it.
    Did you see anyway to fix those issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Did you see anyway to fix those issues?
    I would say 90% of what you posted has been addressed ad nauseum here in the WM section.

Especially: Mutitasking and closing apps, the PIE "issues" (did you even try Full Screen yet?), BT DUN (PdaAps anyone?). I mean, you just have to search around or read some threads (or the manual).

Here's one: http://ppcgeeks.com/700wx-tips-n-tri...irst-t852.html
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=128778

Here's one on software:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79

But you seem kind of impatient, hence why I suggested just returning it.

The last 10% is ActiveSync which is actually a bit more complicated. Not sure what to say here outside of "something is not right with your computer" b/c AS works flawlessly for me and others around here.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/15/2006 at 11:04 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    PIE: I just use Opera Mini (the free java version) for most of my web browsing because of PIE's awful, imo, default navigation. But if you like, reach for the Option key while pressing up/down to PgUP/PgDN (find this in Malatesta's link).

Navigation: I seriously recommend using AE Buttons plus's task manager for switching tasks. Look at this thread for a screenshot of its task manager/switcher. And go here for a tip for how to configure it on the press & hold of the OK button.

One more thing for AE: you can configure Press & Hold for any key (I do it on my right softkey) to terminate (not minimize) the active application. Never reach for that 'X' again.
    I second AE Button Plus. I have my "OK" button set to close the active application on a double click. It works great.

PIE in fullscreen is much nicer than Blazer IMO as well.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Some of you guys are dillusional or in denial or you have to be up in the new WM5 in crowd, but I have played with the 700WX and I can't get pass 240 X 240 screen...maybe I am just being picky or being an arzzz. I won't switch OS until Palm's coffin is a confirmed six feet under which might be sooner than later.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Also as for the browsing , you need to look into PIE Plus. I have my "windows" key mapped to swap the scroll mode between page and link on a single press and to jump to the address bar on hold, so it works like this. Browse by page (page down), press windows button, (browse by link) ,select link etc. It took some getting used to, but it works quite well.

Also, i "third" AE buttons plus. I have my ok button set to:
    >"ok" on single click,
    >program list on double click (list of all running programs)
    >close the application on triple click
    >and finally the task manager on a single long press

Also i have my side button set to turn off the screen on single click and toggle keyboard lights (search for app) on a long press.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I would say 90% of what you posted has been addressed ad nauseum here in the WM section.
    I bet, but the wording of those issues is a matter of and in of itself for me.

Especially: Mutitasking and closing apps, the PIE "issues" (did you even try Full Screen yet?),
    Yes I did.

BT DUN (PdaAps anyone?).
    I knew about it I just did not want to spend the money on PDANet.

I mean, you just have to search around or read some threads (or the manual).
    Thanks.

Thanks for links.

But you seem kind of impatient, hence why I suggested just returning it.
    Yes I am a little impatient at this point, trying to get Activesync to work has been frustarating the living hell out of me. I have done multiple searchs for error code 85010017, and I come with a few options which do not work. Such as too much in folders I am trying to sync, try achiving. No luck.

The last 10% is ActiveSync which is actually a bit more complicated. Not sure what to say here outside of "something is not right with your computer" b/c AS works flawlessly for me and others around here.
    I understand it works on some computers but see no reason why it should not work on mine. Really I think if I could get ActiveSync working I might be willing to invest some more time in modding, hacking, editing, and whatever else to get this right.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Some of you guys are dillusional or in denial or you have to be up in the new WM5 in crowd, but I have played with the 700WX and I can't get pass 240 X 240 screen...maybe I am just being picky or being an arzzz. I won't switch OS until Palm's coffin is a confirmed six feet under which might be sooner than later.
    We'll its either palm and microsoft has hired the services of an ancient shaman vodoo priest to brainswash hundreds of thousands of enterprise and private users. And you somehow managed to resist because of your posession of a rare relic. Or maybe, just maybe, some folks just like to have a preference. My preference is something that WORKS.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I actually don't mind the 240 screen as much as I thought i would.
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    We'll its either palm and microsoft has hired the services of an ancient shaman vodoo priest to brainswash hundreds of thousands of enterprise and private users. And you somehow managed to resist because of your posession of a rare relic. Or maybe, just maybe, some folks just like to have a preference. My preferebce is something that WORKS.
    I totally agree and understand and think Palm needs to do considerably better or as I say... $hit or get off the toilet. I have used the 6700 and played with the WX and I don't find it a problem as far as complication with the OS, I just like Palm better for what level of PDA use I do being work related or personal.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Same here. In fact, I've found in most cases that WM in general makes great use of its available screen real estate. Below is one such example of the same application on both platforms:

Maybe if I played with it long enough to be hypnotized I won't notice either. I for some reason notice and don't like it at the moment.
    at&t iPhone3G
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Maybe if I played with it long enough to be hypnotized I won't notice either. I for some reason notice and don't like it at the moment.
    Hypotized eh? Well if you notice it then that is all that matters.
    Hypotized eh? Well if you notice it then that is all that matters.
    Its all kool and the gang I just like rippen on old Billy G. He will end up being like Skynet in Terminator...you wait and see.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!

Yes I am a little impatient at this point, trying to get Activesync to work has been frustarating the living hell out of me. I have done multiple searchs for error code 85010017, and I come with a few options which do not work. Such as too much in folders I am trying to sync, try achiving. No luck.
    You may have already seen these, but here are some links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912242

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...c/default.mspx

Good Luck!
    PDA history - Psion 5/Sharp Mobilon/Jornada 540/ipaq 3835/ipaq 3935/ipaq 5550/ipaq 4700/PPC-6700/Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I have tried for the past day straight trying to get MS ActiveSync to work properly, and it just has not. The process it goes through to sync is convoluted and just plain out difficult to use. Here are some other complaints from another thread:

Bluetooth: My other complaints are the Bluetooth implementation is just as unnessecarily complicated as Activesync is.

Multitasking: is nice but why in the hell do the programs keep running in the background even if I hit the "X" in the upper right hand corner? I mean if all the "X" is going to do is minimize the window, then why not just use underscore "_" there instead? At least that would be a true representation of what it does.

One handed navigation: is implemented half-assed. Example: Because of above issue, programs continue to run in the background I must go into the Task manager to close left open programs.
    This is one of the spots I noticed that one hand operation is half assed, it works to close the first program, but trying to get a second one to close via nav is not going to happen as far as I can tell.

Pocket Outlook: has absolutely NO reason to be structured the way it is. I mentioned the issues I have with the way it syncs above. There is no real one handed op in POutlook as far as I can tell.

PIE: Is one nice feature of it. It renders very nicely and fast, but it ends there for me. In blazer I was able to scroll a page via the Nav button by simply hitting up or down and if I wanted hyperlinks I could hit right or left button on the Nav. Yet in PIE I hit every hyperlink on a page when I scroll with the Nav.. Valuable screen real estate is robbed by the button bar on the bottom.

BT DUN: There is no hack available to keep the PAM flag from being tripped.

Speed Dial: I seems to me that if I want NO more 2 speed dials showing on the Today screen then that is an impossibility if I have more than 2 speed dials.

I really like the Today screen. And I like the idea of multi-taksing but it just seems to me MS did not think this WM version out. There are just so many glaring holes to me.

I personally find the Palm version doing what it does and relatively well. For this reason the grass is looking greener on the Palm side than it ever has
    just return it
  20. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by box33 View Post
    just return it
    Didn't I hear this earlier? Thanks for advice. BTW, I am still trying to get the darn to sync.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast