Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Treo 750v users (and anyone else that knows)

Is there a way to lock the Treo so it only does 3G (so it won't switch to 2G)? Can you lock it so it only does 2G? I can do both 3G only and 2G only on my CU500
    Yes, under band settings you can set UMTS only.
    Yes, phone settings, services, band selection. Top pop-up lets you pick auto, UMTS, or GSM.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Treo 750v users (and anyone else that knows)

Is there a way to lock the Treo so it only does 3G (so it won't switch to 2G)? Can you lock it so it only does 2G? I can do both 3G only and 2G only on my CU500
    Like the other posters said.....
    I have mine locked to 3G as well.

How do you like the CU500? Was considering it for my wife. So you can lock it into 3G mode only? Does it revert back to auto or something else when the phone is turned off and then back on?

(sorry to hijack the thread but it looks like you question has been answered)

Take care.

Joe
  5.    #5  
    EXCELLENT!

Thanks for the help everyone!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    Like the other posters said.....
    I have mine locked to 3G as well.

How do you like the CU500? Was considering it for my wife. So you can lock it into 3G mode only? Does it revert back to auto or something else when the phone is turned off and then back on?

(sorry to hijack the thread but it looks like you question has been answered)

Take care.

Joe
    so far in the 12 hours I've had it, I like it. The CU500 seems to have pretty good call volume, and when its on 3G, calls are crystal clear. I had it set to 3G only mode in my house because it would switch to EDGE once in a while in the lower reception areas of my house. But after setting it to 3G only, it kept a signal and I was able to stream at ~200kbps in areas with 0 bars showing. Impressive little phone, but it does get warm after using UMTS for a while.

I'm not sure if it reverts back after power cycles, but its simple.

277634#*# gets you to the secret settings menu and you can change it in there.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    so far in the 12 hours I've had it, I like it. The CU500 seems to have pretty good call volume, and when its on 3G, calls are crystal clear. I had it set to 3G only mode in my house because it would switch to EDGE once in a while in the lower reception areas of my house. But after setting it to 3G only, it kept a signal and I was able to stream at ~200kbps in areas with 0 bars showing. Impressive little phone, but it does get warm after using UMTS for a while.

Thanks.

Did you order from CTI or Phone Source?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think he's talking about the CU500 which you can get from a Cingular dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Did you order from CTI or Phone Source?
    I misread the post, sorry.
    I thought he had sprung for a 750.

I did see that LG phone, but what kind of smartphone features does it have? And is it available unlocked anywhere?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have mine locked on GSM rather then UMTS because of my usage of BB Connect. For some reason, BB Connect only stays connected under GSM and not UMTS. BB Connect status says "Blocked: Radio in use" when under UMTS. So I switch back to UMTS when I am surfing around, etc.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Can I just ask what the advantage of locking to UMTS is? What happens if you are outside coverage? surely the point is that it will pick up UMTS if available and fall back to GSM when not?

or am I missing something?
    As far as I know it has no smartphone features (much less than an S60 based device) and is available on Cingular only at the moment. I tried one for a week and the reception seemed OK, but it didn't do anything at all for me.

I did see that LG phone, but what kind of smartphone features does it have? And is it available unlocked anywhere?
    Thanks! Well there goes one weekend phone option.

The one in my avatar looks like it'll have to be it. It has email, web browser, etc. Not a real smartphone, but good for off hours.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    Can I just ask what the advantage of locking to UMTS is? What happens if you are outside coverage? surely the point is that it will pick up UMTS if available and fall back to GSM when not?

or am I missing something?
    I have it locked because at my home it tends to go back and forth between the two. I guess they are still working out coverage and issues.

Joe
    I have also seen if the UMTS signal is low but the GSM signal is medium or high it will tend to jump back to GSM. I don't think this is a Treo specific thing, I saw a TyTN do this also a few months ago.
  17.    #17  

I'm on Cingular so it was an obvious choice. It also cost me $50, no contract (my outright purchase price) through my employer.

This will be the phone I use primarily on the weekends when I don't need to carry my PDAphone.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I have also seen if the UMTS signal is low but the GSM signal is medium or high it will tend to jump back to GSM. I don't think this is a Treo specific thing, I saw a TyTN do this also a few months ago.
    my CU500 did this too.
  19.    #19  
    I found out today that I have great 3G service on the entire train ride to work. And in my office here in downtown chicago, my 3G reception has FULL reception whereas my GSM reception fades in and out. I'm very happy with Cingular's 3G network. Its weaker at home, but I can still stream videos to my phone when I get 0-1 bar of service on 3G. Phenomenal. Now I just need this 750 to come out on Cingular and I'm good
    I'm going to experiment at work today to see how it does on only UMTS. Normally it's jumping all inside the building. I have noticed in one area when it always goes to GSM, it was still holding a weak UMTS signal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast