1.    #1  
    Just wanted to ask, is anyone experiencing dropped calls in fringe 3G areas? In areas where the 3G (UMTS) signal is not very strong, and the phone display switches from a low "U" signal to an adequate "G" signal, the call drops. In other words, there doesn't seem to be a handoff between UMTS and GSM while on a voice call. When I'm in a strong UMTS signal area, or a non-UMTS area, there are no call drops.

I remember contacting Cingular Data support regarding similar issues with a 3G data card (the Option GT Max) and there was a term that they used, regarding the 3G signal's ability to "stick" to your device (don't remember the term). My data card does the same thing, it disconnects and automatically reconnects when the UMTS signal gets too low, instead of handing-off to GSM (or in this case GPRS) and then "re-attaching" to the UMTS signal, without disconnecting.

I imagine it would be easy enough to limit the 750's activity to GSM or UMTS to test this theory, but that sorta defeats the purpose of using this brilliant 6-band device.

In any event, was wondering if anyone else in fringe 3G areas was experiencing the same behavior with voice calls. Has this already been addressed?
    I haven't experienced any calls being dropped but I don't know if any happened for sure when switching. I suspect a couple were (since I had a U at the beginning of the call and a G at the end). I do know when it has been sitting on a desk or doing data that most of the time it seems to switch between GSM and UMTS pretty seamlessly. However a few times I have seen it go from UMTS to no signal to GSM.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    if i start to experience this issue or suspect i'm in an area with weak U coverage (re: swapping from U->G->U), i change the phone settings to use standard GSM... so far no problems!
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcortez View Post
    if i start to experience this issue or suspect i'm in an area with weak U coverage (re: swapping from U->G->U), i change the phone settings to use standard GSM... so far no problems!
    So - you have experienced dropped calls when this "swapping" happens?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    there are 2-3 spots in town where the 3G coverage is iffy. one time while i was in this "zone" i had a dropped call and when i looked at the phone i saw the U change to G.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
  6.    #6  
    Well just to test, I've been in GSM mode all day. No dropped calls. Hmmm. I wonder what Cingular's intentions are with regards to this lack of a hand-off between UMTS and GSM. They may have to end up putting an asterisk next to the "fewest dropped calls" verbiage that is in their advertising...
    Well I had two very short calls today that it either switched from UMTS to GSM right when I put it to my ear, or right in the middle of a 30 second call. Either way both calls were fine and didn't drop. So I don't think this is a universal thing, it's probably very dependant on how good the signal is for each mode when the switch happens.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    It's probably very dependant on how good the signal is for each mode when the switch happens.
    I agree. When I talked to a Cingular tech (with regards to the data card issue), he used a term that probably had a lot to do with signal quality and it's ability to "stick".
    can you choose to do 3G only?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    can you choose to do 3G only?
    Yes. Under Phone settings, you can choose between UMTS (3G), GSM and AUTO.
    I've been experiencing dropped call problems with my cingular 750 heading north on the 101 over the Golden Gate bridge. At some point on that route the network switches from 3G to EDGE. I had three drops yesterday alone. One of them I can attribute to the tunnel right after the bridge, where I've had trouble with other phones. But I've also been testing the BlackJack for the past month and I have not had any drop problems while driving the same route.

I've also had some general reception problems with the 750 in SF that I never had with my 650.

So in general, the BlackJack calls have seemed to be more reliable and much clearer reception.
    Off to iPhone land...