1.    #1  
    I just got my monthly bill from Cingular and got dinged over $300 for data usage on the 750v.

After speaking with Cingular, their official line is because I am using a non-Cingular unlocked device, the unlimited data clause from my plan does not count and that somehow the device is acting like a tethered device to the network from their information.

I am not using my BB Connect because it doesn't work with BIS yet so have been 'pulling' e-mail from my POP3 boxes periodically.

Does this mean that if I turn off the feature to automatically download e-mail the tether will be cut?

Personally, I'm not buying the official line but wanted to throw the question out to the floor to see what I can do to continue using the 750v but not to basically almost double my company's wireless bill each month.

TIA.
    Wow! I would fight this. I don't see anything that states that their data usage is "limited" to Cingular devices. I don't see how they can determine "tethered" to "non-tethered" usage. They can't tell as far as I know.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I agree, fight for this one!!
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    This sounds like BS from Cingular to stop people from using unlocked phones!

Or maybe you just got an ***** on the line! If they really try to tell people they can only use data on a Cingular branded phone, T-Mobile may be happy to get many people's business!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    My first bill from Cingular was just for about 5 days but it was normal. I will be very interested to see the first full months about 5 days from now. If they pull this B.S. with me, I will definitely leave!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Their explanation is a load of crap.

What data plan is on your account? Bear in mind that while the mediaNET plans will work just fine with the device in cingular's eyes they are ment only for phone usage and the 750v (or any PPC phone) requires the $39.99 PDA connect plan to avoid extra charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkay View Post
    I just got my monthly bill from Cingular and got dinged over $300 for data usage on the 750v.

After speaking with Cingular, their official line is because I am using a non-Cingular unlocked device, the unlimited data clause from my plan does not count and that somehow the device is acting like a tethered device to the network from their information.

I am not using my BB Connect because it doesn't work with BIS yet so have been 'pulling' e-mail from my POP3 boxes periodically.

Does this mean that if I turn off the feature to automatically download e-mail the tether will be cut?

Personally, I'm not buying the official line but wanted to throw the question out to the floor to see what I can do to continue using the 750v but not to basically almost double my company's wireless bill each month.

TIA.
    BIS actually does work. I am getting my work email (BES) and personal email (BIS) using the Cingular's BB service. Works great.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Tell them that "if they would release the damn 750, then you wouldn't have to be using an unlocked 750v."
  9. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Ha, sounds like you got the short bus retard on the phone. That doesn't make one bit of sense. Formally dispute the bill while you're at it. You have a 30 or 60 day window.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    BIS actually does work. I am getting my work email (BES) and personal email (BIS) using the Cingular's BB service. Works great.
    The Cingular BIS gateway won't accept the PIN that was generated on my device when I installed BB Connect.

If I'm missing a tip or trick, please help!
    The Cingular BIS gateway won't accept the PIN that was generated on my device when I installed BB Connect.

If I'm missing a tip or trick, please help!
    I had the same issue. I created a new account and then added my 750v PIN/IMEI. It took when I created a new account. It would not with my previous account.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    I had the same issue. I created a new account and then added my 750v PIN/IMEI. It took when I created a new account. It would not with my previous account.
    COOL!! That worked!

Wonder why creating a new account allowed the BIS gateway to accept the PIN?

The important thing is it works! Thanks a bunch!
  13.    #13  
    On more question: what's the "System" account that was set up automatically for? I do not have a cingular.blackberry.net account set up on this connection so it's not that; I only have 2 POP3 accounts.
    Dude, that is a LOAD OF CRAP from Cingular. Call and ask them to "fix thier billing error". You have an unlimited data plan and they need to fix the provisioning on your account so that you're billed properly.

You can use an unlocked device on Cingular. There is nothing in their Terms and conditions that states that yoiu can't. They don't have to "support" the device but they must honor the plan agreement.

They most likely screwed up when provisioning your plan. Insist on talking to technical support to fix the problem.

Check to see if "data connect pay per use" is also on your account. if so then it's conflicting with your unlimited data plan.

That's a BS line. It's totally false. they will refund the charges and they must fix the problem.
    On more question: what's the "System" account that was set up automatically for? I do not have a cingular.blackberry.net account set up on this connection so it's not that; I only have 2 POP3 accounts.
    You will get the registration emails, etc. in the "System" mailbox. For example, when you are sent new BB Service Books.
    Brian McGuire
    you're getting the royal screw over. Did you tell them when you're on the phone w/ the that you're using this device? they're looking for an excuse to make the charges stick. It shouldnt matter if you're on a 750 or one of the 8125 or whatever it is. fight it.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered