1.    #1  
    Guys, any of you use the search function much? I'm referring to the device search (opt+shift) and not the web search today plugin.

I find the internal search too slow to be useful... often it takes more than a minute (cos that's my auto-off setting) to find a particular appointment even when I only sync 6 mths worth of past appointments. And that's when I limit the search to only the Calendar app (lord knows how long it'll take if I set the filter to "all data").

On my Palm OS 650, there was only one search, it searched all, and it searched fast. I could search 3.5 yrs of PIM data (calendar, contacts, tasks, memos) in under a minute!

Any feedback on this? Any other better internal search utility?
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Really? I've got a few years of appointments in my calendar and the search is almost instantaneous. Very strange.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Yep. Strange. I'll admit I'm new to PPC / WM. Do u know what could be slowing down the searches?

Could it be because I've other PIM apps installed (Pocket Informant)? Maybe the inbuilt search utility runs searches on *both* the native and 3rd party PIMs before showing the results? (Just a wild guess.)
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Probably not. I think it uses the same database. I've got the new Pocket Informanent Calendar (calendar part of PI) installed also.

If I do a search on all data (not just calendar) it takes about 1 to 2 seconds to finish a search.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Rudy,

You are not alone. I can't believe how long it takes to do a search. When I do a search for a contact it seems to take a very long time. I have found though that if I give the search a few seconds, then press Stop, that it will show you results. I also don't know why it's like this but at least that is a workaround.
    I just did a search on all data and it took 2 seconds and foud all instances of the searched item in several locations.

Sounds like you have a bug.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I just did a search for all Data and it took 1 minute and 35 seconds. I'm wondering if it's based on the information that is stored on the device. For example I have my email, 1500 contacts in my address book, and my calendar going back as far as I can remember. I was going to completely wipe my Treo and Start from scratch to see what is causing this.
    I have only 100 contacts, not much info on each contact. My calendar usually consists of 2 appointments a week. Not much PIM.
    There's your answer. its the volume. 1500 contacts vs. 100 is a huge difference. same goes for calendar appointments.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I has anyone found a better program that has better searches? For example the same information on Palm Treos takes seconds. Would Pocket Informant be better? Or some other replacement program for outlook?