Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    well
    After plunking down my $729.00 for this phone i must say IT IS AWSOME!
    I had the Ipaq 6945 prior to this for a two weeks (sent it back), This 750V blows the IPAQ away in every aspect and I mean every aspect!! (EXCEPT OF COURSE NO WIFI AND gps WHICH ARE ON THE IPAQ)

My Treo 750 experience, after I popped in the Cingular SIM i had not one setting to input for full functionality! SMS, MMS, and Internet all worked out of the box blazingly fast! I of course had to enter my email settings.

The Voice command comes preinstalled on this phone and works brilliantly

I have loaded lots of great apps, PI, Wine Guide, List Pro , EWallet, IM+ messenger, Intelligolf, SPB Backup, SPM Finance all work awsome and sooooo very much faster than the Ipaq could have dreamed.

The phone functions are the best I have EVER used seriously, right up there with the Nokia E61 andf thats saying ALOT!

The phone actually picks up and hangs up when I press the button which the Ipaq did not do, The ipaq would wait a couple of seconds to end the call, NOT with the 750!!

Palm did an awsome job of tweaking the WM5 to be friendly especially as a phone

The dreaded "i can't hear what your saying" routine of the Treo650 is a memory, the voice in and out of the phone is crystal clear! The ringer is precise and the speaker is clear as a bell even with speakerphone!

The tactile feel of the 750V keyboard is soo much better than the Ipaq 6900 that it makes the ipaq actually feel like it should have been sold at toys r Us NO KIDDING!

The form factor and the "feel" of this phone is the best I have used!

The ability to turn off the ringer with the slider at the top of the phone is great thanks to them for keeping this up there.

The battery life is all i could ask for.
    UMTS is FAST!

Bluetooth stereo... the bomb!!

I can dial numbers with my BT headset!! finally!!

nice stylus although a little too flexible at the top

quality of build is very high

My only gripes

1 wish the infrared was on the top of the 750
    2 The sync cable jack sucks, it should have a button to depress the prongs prior and post insertion, it feels like it will break the way it is.
    3 screen resolution is adequate, i would have liked a little better resolution but it is fine
    4 would have liked a docking cradle included for this price and/or a car charger no biggy

Great Job PalM!!

anyone looking to get a 750V I would highly reccommend it! I had no problems moving it to Cingular, it was like I purchased from Cingular it worked perfectly and FAST!

i figured why wait and wait and wait to upgrade to this phone, I figured Palm once they get around to it will sell the 750 US version for $650 plus anyway...

GET IT! if your on the fence
    So... I guess you're saying you like it? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnfb View Post
    ...clip...
    GET IT! ...clip...

Ok! Ok!
    I will, No need to YELL!
    Just call me Berd.
    I did agree. I have just got the Treo 750v, and all I could say is AMAZING.

My last WM device is an O2 Mini. Frankly speaking it's my last because it's a PDA with phone functions. Of course the keypadless inputs make the experience worst as I did have many SMSes and emails. The recent releases of all those Dopods (838pro) came with qwerty keypad but having the thought of sliding out the keypad to make a phone calls, SMSes and emails turn me off.

Treo 750v was different, it's design with the actual functionality in mind. To allow you to make easy phone calls (thru' Today plugin), write SMSes and emails with ease using the stiff but comfortable QWERTY keypad.

A great job, PALM!
    I too tried the HP 6945 for two weeks and sent it back. Poor phone reception, clunky nature of the device, feel of the keyboard all proved unwelcome for me - was not user friendly after coming from a 650.

GPS was nice, but high-speed Google maps will more than do for me - I can read a street sign to know where I am. Looking forward to the 750.
    Jer 23:29
    well
    After plunking down my $729.00 for this phone i must say IT IS AWSOME!
    I had the Ipaq 6945 prior to this for a two weeks (sent it back), This 750V blows the IPAQ away in every aspect and I mean every aspect!! (EXCEPT OF COURSE NO WIFI AND gps WHICH ARE ON THE IPAQ)

My Treo 750 experience, after I popped in the Cingular SIM i had not one setting to input for full functionality! SMS, MMS, and Internet all worked out of the box blazingly fast! I of course had to enter my email settings.

The Voice command comes preinstalled on this phone and works brilliantly

I have loaded lots of great apps, PI, Wine Guide, List Pro , EWallet, IM+ messenger, Intelligolf, SPB Backup, SPM Finance all work awsome and sooooo very much faster than the Ipaq could have dreamed.

The phone functions are the best I have EVER used seriously, right up there with the Nokia E61 andf thats saying ALOT!

The phone actually picks up and hangs up when I press the button which the Ipaq did not do, The ipaq would wait a couple of seconds to end the call, NOT with the 750!!

Palm did an awsome job of tweaking the WM5 to be friendly especially as a phone

The dreaded "i can't hear what your saying" routine of the Treo650 is a memory, the voice in and out of the phone is crystal clear! The ringer is precise and the speaker is clear as a bell even with speakerphone!

The tactile feel of the 750V keyboard is soo much better than the Ipaq 6900 that it makes the ipaq actually feel like it should have been sold at toys r Us NO KIDDING!

The form factor and the "feel" of this phone is the best I have used!

The ability to turn off the ringer with the slider at the top of the phone is great thanks to them for keeping this up there.

The battery life is all i could ask for.
    UMTS is FAST!

Bluetooth stereo... the bomb!!

I can dial numbers with my BT headset!! finally!!

nice stylus although a little too flexible at the top

quality of build is very high

My only gripes

1 wish the infrared was on the top of the 750
    2 The sync cable jack sucks, it should have a button to depress the prongs prior and post insertion, it feels like it will break the way it is.
    3 screen resolution is adequate, i would have liked a little better resolution but it is fine
    4 would have liked a docking cradle included for this price and/or a car charger no biggy

Great Job PalM!!

anyone looking to get a 750V I would highly reccommend it! I had no problems moving it to Cingular, it was like I purchased from Cingular it worked perfectly and FAST!

i figured why wait and wait and wait to upgrade to this phone, I figured Palm once they get around to it will sell the 750 US version for $650 plus anyway...

+1

I am on the fence, but have a few questions!! I am trying to decide between staying with Palm OS and a 680, and going to WM and moving to the 750.

1) Before you tried and used the Ipaq, were you a long time 650 user? If so, what was the transition from POS to WM5 Like? It's Obvious that you liked the unit out of the box, but you were using WM with the Ipaq.

2) The biggest drawback I have read about is screen resolution, and with my eyes, it could be a deciding factor. How much of a difference (not technical, but real world..to the eye) difference is there?

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Don't know about the 750 except that the Treos screens are very clear and crisp - the HP 6945 format (240x240) was very clean, readable and looked great - I really did not notice the lower resolution except that more fit on a Palm screen.

The Treo is supposed to have the same high-quality screen as it always has had. My own guess is that it will be fine.
    Jer 23:29
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    I am on the fence, but have a few questions!! I am trying to decide between staying with Palm OS and a 680, and going to WM and moving to the 750.

1) Before you tried and used the Ipaq, were you a long time 650 user? If so, what was the transition from POS to WM5 Like? It's Obvious that you liked the unit out of the box, but you were using WM with the Ipaq.

2) The biggest drawback I have read about is screen resolution, and with my eyes, it could be a deciding factor. How much of a difference (not technical, but real world..to the eye) difference is there?

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Actually, the 320x320 is much crisper as you would expect. But, Palm does not even give you a “native” way to make the font smaller so you can actually get more on the screen with the 750, much more. And with cleartype the letters are really sharp too.

I was just checking out the specs on the 680. No 3G? That was a surprise. The only thing that looked better is the 64MB of RAM. I know that’s a biggy but still same old VGA camera and just EDGE.

Take care.

Joe
    The 240x240 resolution is OK...just OK. My Treo 650 is beautiful. I would not call the 750v that. In addition to the lower amount of real estate, the line curve slightly too (apparantly a WM problem as I've observed elsewhere). That will be the hardest adjustment if I decide to continue using the 750v (I'm just testing it now.) Of course, WM itself is cumbersome but I think I can get used to that, but not the lower resolution.
    I am trying to decide between staying with Palm OS and a 680, and going to WM and moving to the 750.
    Oooh, this is quite easy. I was for two years a 650 users and liked the device an almost every aspect. But, the case quality and the outdated OS are things which led me to the 750v.

Now I am there and think that the 750v is a big step from the 650 into the right direction, but I have lost lots of loving features of the 650 - including the one handed operation.
    Most of the features of both devices can be applied to the other device by thirt party apps. Other features will stay exclusive.

For the 750 the exclusive features are the built in UMTS, Active Sync and the rich fieldset of the PIM apps.
    With this features comes the complicated and slow UI. Full one hand operation will probably never be possible with the 750. This is a big step backward compared to the PalmOS Treos.

For the 650/680 the excluse features are the high resolution display and overal usability of the device.

This brings me to a quite simple conclusion: If you require 3G or ActiveSync/MobileOutlook then go for the 750. If not then go for the 680. With my experience with the 650 and the 750 I would expect that the 680 will become a great device.

With Chatter Email an Moxsis Xchange Sync the 680 will be perfect assistant for road warriors. Unfortunatley there are still some fields missing if you compare it to mobile outlook. I expect this one of the biggest challenges for Palm if they stuck with PalmOS.
    I bought the 750v and moved to WM from being a Palm User since 1999. At first, I felt that it was a step back in terms of the OS, but as I'm getting to know it better, its less of an issue. At present, it seems that key 3rd party applications for WM are not up to par with those on Palm OS. For example, I used Agendus on Palm, very solid app. On WM, Pocket Informant is very popular, but I find it less user friendly and more overhead to navigagte and work with than Agendus. Same goes for email clients, Versamail versus Flexmail. I suspect that as more WM devices are introduced, more development will come about on WM apps, and better ones will be available.

In its shipped state, the resolution on the 750v is a bit of an issue, especially for anyone with weak eyesight. However, there are all kinds of ways to modify the screens and colors that lessen this problem. For example, I changed the Today screen to black background with Yellow Text using UI Tweaker and its a big difference. Also, the brightness settings on the 750v negate some of the resolution issues. (Screen Shot attached). If you go to www.ppcgeeks.com, you can see all kinds of examples as to how people have modifed their screens for good crisp visibility.

To summarize, choosing the 750 is based more on what you need to do. If you use lots of data apps, (email, SMS, Web) then you want a 3G enabled phone. If you like a smaller form factor, the 750v is great.

If you want to stay within the Treo family, you have several choices
    1) Stay with the T650
    2) Go to T680, remain in the Palm OS world, better form factor than T650
    3) Go to 750

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Quote Originally Posted by DerNik View Post
    Unfortunatley there are still some fields missing if you compare it to mobile outlook. I expect this one of the biggest challenges for Palm if they stuck with PalmOS.
    Can you - or someone - elaborate on that a little for me. I have a 650, but am becoming more of a road warrior with a small start-up. We are thinking about the future and since we are an MS shop, Exchange Server, etc. are in our plans. I love my 650 and all of the apps, but I live in Outlook and I am starting to live in SharePoint. We are thinking seriously about the 700wx (we all also just happen to be Sprint customers - just a coincidence!).
    shawnfb,

How much have you tested SPB Backup? I've used the included Sprite Backup and it seems to work for restoring from a hard reset. However it has one issue for me. After an automatic backup, it puts the Treo into a "suspended" state. So no alarms (no matter which program) work as a morning alarm if I run it at night.

If I don't run it or run it and manually use the Treo first, then alarms work. I tried SPB Backup very briefly and it seems like it doesn't interfere with the alarms. It seemed to restore OK but I haven't fully tested this. Right after installing it and backuping the volume keys didn't work any more. Pressing them caused the data bubble to appear. A soft reset seemed to fix this but I've seen others complaining about SPB software interfering with the volume buttons. Any experience?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    I bought the 750v and moved to WM from being a Palm User since 1999. At first, I felt that it was a step back in terms of the OS, but as I'm getting to know it better, its less of an issue. At present, it seems that key 3rd party applications for WM are not up to par with those on Palm OS. For example, I used Agendus on Palm, very solid app. On WM, Pocket Informant is very popular, but I find it less user friendly and more overhead to navigagte and work with than Agendus. Same goes for email clients, Versamail versus Flexmail. I suspect that as more WM devices are introduced, more development will come about on WM apps, and better ones will be available.

In its shipped state, the resolution on the 750v is a bit of an issue, especially for anyone with weak eyesight. However, there are all kinds of ways to modify the screens and colors that lessen this problem. For example, I changed the Today screen to black background with Yellow Text using UI Tweaker and its a big difference. Also, the brightness settings on the 750v negate some of the resolution issues. (Screen Shot attached). If you go to www.ppcgeeks.com, you can see all kinds of examples as to how people have modifed their screens for good crisp visibility.

To summarize, choosing the 750 is based more on what you need to do. If you use lots of data apps, (email, SMS, Web) then you want a 3G enabled phone. If you like a smaller form factor, the 750v is great.

If you want to stay within the Treo family, you have several choices
    1) Stay with the T650
    2) Go to T680, remain in the Palm OS world, better form factor than T650
    3) Go to 750

I have to thank everyone for their response to my question. I wish I could say that it has made my decision easier, although I have to say that the resolution my be the deal maker for me. I am a road warrior for a software company, and I DO use lots of data apps, but my company uses Good Mobile Messaging (Goodlink), and it has been Rock solid on my 650 for almost 2 years. The web apps that I use (DA, Weather, Google, News, etc), I get very good performance from, and the Data speeds in my area from Cingular are good (relatively).

I have been a loyal Palm user since the very first unit in 1993 ($700 "Zoomer" from Radio Shack ) , so the prospect of something other than POS after 14 years is a little scary, but still intriguing.

What appeals to me about the 750 is that it is clearly the PDA that Palm intends to grow with.

Oh well, sorry to rant...thanks again for all the input!!! It appears I have a decision to make....or at least 2 different Treos to test in the coming month!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DerNik View Post
    Now I am there and think that the 750v is a big step from the 650 into the right direction, but I have lost lots of loving features of the 650 - including the one handed operation.
    What is different on the 750v (compared to the 650) that would cause you to lose the one handed operation?
    one handed operation is still there. A few operations require one or two more taps (you have to hit the softkey first). But you can do pretty much everything without touching the screen. Except that you cannot select folders trees, but that is being fixed in the next update.

The resolution is not a biggie. As mentioned before, just set the text a notch lower, and turn on clear type. Most non-techies I've shown the 750 to hardly noticed the difference. You have the same number of lines in SMS/MMS.

I think the only way to know is to test drive it. It much more refined, but there's certainly a Change in the way things are done. Its worth some of the re-learning. 3rd party applications are also more polished and full-featured.

I do understand though that the hardware simply turns some people off. Just have to wait until the next version that include the 480x480 screen and wifi.
    PalmOS is dying unfortunately. Its dropped by almost every hardware vendor... (just dropped by Symbol too!). Even Palm themselves have resorted to WindowsMobile to stay alive.

yes the 750 is WM5, but its still a treo... and carries with it the snappy, one handed intuitive Treo experience. Unlike other WM5 phones that are clumsy at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    shawnfb,

How much have you tested SPB Backup? I've used the included Sprite Backup and it seems to work for restoring from a hard reset. However it has one issue for me. After an automatic backup, it puts the Treo into a "suspended" state. So no alarms (no matter which program) work as a morning alarm if I run it at night.

If I don't run it or run it and manually use the Treo first, then alarms work. I tried SPB Backup very briefly and it seems like it doesn't interfere with the alarms. It seemed to restore OK but I haven't fully tested this. Right after installing it and backuping the volume keys didn't work any more. Pressing them caused the data bubble to appear. A soft reset seemed to fix this but I've seen others complaining about SPB software interfering with the volume buttons. Any experience?
    If your phone running unattended, it will suspend your phone, and Sprite itself does nothing on the alarm. I have tried a backup/restore with a fully loaded 700, everything restored as when I backed up even the system time. Volume button was okay. I suspect there are something wrong with your reg keys.
    No, I emailed Sprite and they confirmed that when unattended it puts it into suspend and that interferes with some devices. I was looking for an option around this, but they didn't offer any solutions.

If I just don't let it run the automatic backup the alarms work fine.

Not everything in life involves the registry.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Thanks for all of your "reviews" or at least raves about the 750. You all make me way more confident in my choice to get the 750 instead of the Cingular 8525. I'm going from a Treo 650 (and 600 before that.) I bought and returned an 8125 (had it for 3 weeks) and loved WM5, but loathed the keyboard and the phone/IM integration could have been a tad better which the 750 seems to polish off.
    I can't wait for cingular to sell it. But I'm not paying double to get a 750V unlocked when I should be able to get it for $400-$450 after MIR through premiere as an upgrade.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast