Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Aren't you guys concerned about the investment you already have in POS applications in making the decision to move to a win mobile device?

I have spent hundreds on various Palm platform apps - and I know a lot of people on these forums have too - but I don't see this brought up as a concern very often when people consider moving from a POS Treo to Win. Why not? Is Styletap or something else the answer, or does the technology trump all? Chatter!)
    POS is a nice operating system, but its stagnated and WM5 has passed it by. Styletap works for some apps, but not others (like Chatter) and it runs at 160x160 resolution. If POS works fine for your needs then I suggest sticking with it until you need something more.

I had invested in some apps, but I wanted a more modern OS with better multitasking, so I moved to WM5. I miss Chatter, but have adapted to Outlook. Once Flexmail improves, I will probably move to it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I sold my old Palm with all the apps so I am not bummed about it.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    There is a program called StyleTap that lets you run some PalmOS applications on WM5. But otherwise no. I'm happy to leave behind most of m POS apps. Some I'll miss.
    I would say its not the hundreds of dollars you have spent already but the actual cost of replacing the software and functionality you are using now that's important. Not cutting your losses and throwing good money after bad is a sure way to go out of business.

Surur
    Yes, I am disappointed in the money I've spent on Apps, and Accessories. And I would prolly stay w/ POS a little longer if it were progressive. Something Palm/Access/Linux may come around, but, I'll be gone.
    I doubt very much, that I will get backed into a corner like this again.
    Just call me Berd.
    Interestingly, I've found that most of the money I spent on pos 3rd party apps for my 700p are native on my i830, so I haven't even spent any money yet!!
    Treo 650 accessories work on the 750, so at least there's that.
    I agree that a lot of what I added to my PalmOS Treo 650 comes built in on WM5. But then there's always more to go buy.
    I have to admit that since I got the 750v, on Palm OS they have released google maps, google mail, and Kinoma 4 EX.

Boy I do miss better made apps. I have to say I think most of the WM5 stuff is junk. I do like the Contacts, and like some parts of IE rendering. Most of the rest of the apps are pathetic. Sorry, but I just call them like I see them.

Unfortunately there's never going to be UMTS on Palm OS. I've tasted 3G data on Verizon and I'm not going back to EDGE. So, I'm trying to decide between WM5 UTMS with a great form factor, and Palm OS EVDO with a form factor not as appealing. Tough choice.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I have to admit that since I got the 750v, on Palm OS they have released google maps, google mail, and Kinoma 4 EX.
    I'd scratch Google Mail, they haven't released a Palm version yet for that OS.

I think you're referring to the Java app that Google released this past week which also runs on WM5 via the IBM J9 app. That's just a general java program.

Google maps was okay, I think Maps24 is much better, I mean c'mon it's got 3d view built in.

I recently turned on my 650 to get some old memos off of it. I was blown away...at how old and antiquated it was. I also realized I had a whole page under zLauncher dedicated to patches and hacks. I felt like I stepped back in time 5 years. And funny, I consider 90% of Palm apps (especially the free ones) are junk. But Chatter was nice. That's all I miss, but less and less with Exchange.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    No. Like another person said, if I sell the 650, I will sell the apps with it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If you sell the apps, make sure the license will transfer. I recently sold my 700p, but did not include my licensed Chatter or LauncherX because the developers both said the licenses would not transfer.
    Yes this is a big concern for me as I have spent a considerable amount on software (but I've always viewed software as a more meaningful expenditure).

I'm really concerned about software that have no equivalents (yet); Ultrasoft Money and ChatterEmail come to mind.

Then there is also the problem with data migration.

- mvk
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    If you sell the apps, make sure the license will transfer. I recently sold my 700p, but did not include my licensed Chatter or LauncherX because the developers both said the licenses would not transfer.
    If the buyer is willing to keep the same device ID, they may be able to get away with those that won't transfer.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    They would still work, but the license for many apps is for the original owner. The new owner would basically have a warez copy in those instances.
  16.    #16  
    Great stuff - thanks for all the feedback.

I do only consider the apps I'll miss, Chatter, Datebk6, etc. I think I'll wait it out for a Linux platform that these developers will probably embrace. I'm still using a 600 - probably will take the 680 when it comes out and milk it for 2 years (as I did the 600). Hopefully by then the UMTS issue will be resolved with an open source OS. UMTS is the only reason I have for considering moving off of Palm OS, and today it is not worth the tradeoff.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I have to say I think most of the WM5 stuff is junk.
    I agree, the calculator in WM5 looks like my first coding project A lot of it doesn't appear to have changed since PPC2002.
    The calculator does suck compared to the 700p calculators. Anyone know of a good replacement that works on the 700w/wx screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Yes this is a big concern for me as I have spent a considerable amount on software (but I've always viewed software as a more meaningful expenditure).

I'm really concerned about software that have no equivalents (yet); Ultrasoft Money and ChatterEmail come to mind.

Then there is also the problem with data migration.

- mvk
    sadly, the only app that I REALLY miss (and I mean alot) is pockettvbrowser. Apparently, it's not working on wm5. That was a biggie.

As far as data migration, it was pretty simple for me, as I sync with Outlook either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ido View Post
    sadly, the only app that I REALLY miss (and I mean alot) is pockettvbrowser. Apparently, it's not working on wm5. That was a biggie.

As far as data migration, it was pretty simple for me, as I sync with Outlook either way.
    you could probably get it working with styletap if it's super important.

edit: speaking of which, I used to have that on the 700p, i forgot about it. I'll see if I can get it to work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast