Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay! Some of you might be familiar with TV2Nite, but of course some may not. It was previously only released as a PRC file, but it's a J2ME app through & through. Here's the Palm write-up. Follow the link to see a more complete description of its functions.

Basically, it shows you the TV shows that run from 8-11pm on only a few channels, NBC,CBS,FOX,ABC,WB,MYtv,SciFi,CC, TLC, Discovery, FX, Showtime and HBO (yikes! that's a handful). You can also set favorites and have them fill your calendar.

Okay, how do you get it running? You need Java on your WM device.
    1. Get Java. If you already have it, installed, you can skip this step.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=1081
      (Registration at PPCGeeks is required, follow the instructions (just extract the java zip file to some folder in main or on the SD) and ignore the Gmail/Gmaps specific stuff)
    2. Install the PIM Files
      Extract the PIM.zip file into the Java installation folder using the same directory structure. More precisely:
      pimdll.dll - install to: JAVAINSTALL\bin\pimdll.dll
      pim.jar - install to: JAVAINSTALL\lib\jclMidp20\ext\pim.jar
    3. Install the Midlet.
      Extract the files in TV2Nite.zip to some directory on your device. Here's how I install midlets. I my copy my jad & jars into a folder under 'My Documents' called 'midlets'. Then I load JAVAINSTALL\bin\emulator.exe and go to Actions->Install. It will ask for a URL. Type it with the following syntax:

file:///My Documents/midlets/TV2Nite.jad

--------------------------------------
    Okay, that is all for now! You should be able to load it and check TV times & schedules immediately. You may also set favorites and the next time they're found in the line up, they'll show up in your calendar.

I'm adding a second post underneath this one for additional information on how to autorun TV2Nite in the morning, for instance, using phoneAlarm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by g-funkster; 07/06/2008 at 09:18 AM.
  2.    #2  
    1-Click Launching!

To create a standalone shortcut for loading J2ME applications, do the following. When loading Midlet HQ, notice the ordering of the icons and find TV2Nite.

1. Create a shortcut to the emulator.exe (found in JAVAINSTALL\bin\emulator.exe) and rename it to TV2Nite.
    2. Add the argument -Xjam:run=ZZZ to the end of it (as shown) where ZZZ is the position of the application in the midlet list. In the above example, it is 4.

Auto Loading In the Morning

There may be multiple ways to auto load this application at a specific time. However, two different ways I have tried, loading the shortcut above directly, have both resulted in having my preferences (my favorites in the case of TV2Nite) wiped. The only way I have found to have it safely load is by using an intermediary such as Mortscript. Here's the cab.

1. Install Mortscript
    2. Create this file (plain text) on your PC and send it to your device. It should have file extension mscr (for example: runTV.mscr)
      Code:
      run "\Program Files\IVE\bin\emulator.exe", "-Xjam:run=4"
      Tip! If you'd like it to close itself after 90 seconds, use the following code:

Code:
      run "\Program Files\IVE\bin\emulator.exe", "-Xjam:run=4"
      Sleep 90000
      Kill emulator.exe
      Kill j9midp20.exe
    3. Configure Autoloading application to load the .mscr file

This example uses Phonealarm:

1. Go to the configuration, then then the Profiles tab.
      2. Select an unused profile (in this case, 'Car') and
      3. Select the mscr file under the 'Run Program' section (as shown)
      4. Select the clock up at the top of the clock.
      5. Select the car profile under switch to and choose the days you'd like it to run and the time, then hit 'Add'
      6. Select the normal profile to switch back to after a time interval (shown above as 10 minutes later).

Hope this helps everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by g-funkster; 11/10/2006 at 07:03 AM.
    Thanks for putting up the WM5 version as I missed this from my old 700p. I got this installed on my wx using steps 2-3 above (already had step 1 completed previously). It works great after checking the option for Central time.

Do you know if its possible to create a shortcut to TV2Nite rather than going through the java emulator app each time I run it?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Thanks for putting up the WM5 version as I missed this from my old 700p. I got this installed on my wx using steps 2-3 above (already had step 1 completed previously). It works great after checking the option for Central time.

Do you know if its possible to create a shortcut to TV2Nite rather than going through the java emulator app each time I run it?
    Yup! that is part of the second post, it's kind of involved, but it's very useful to have all your java apps available with one click:

Edit: I'll have something more descriptive about how to do that soon.
    I figured out how to link to the midlet. TV2Nite is the 2nd in my list of apps, so I created a shortcut that goes to :

\Program Files\J9\MIDP20\bin\emulator.exe" "-Xjam:run=2"

I created the shortcut using Total Commander.
  6.    #6  
    Ok 1-click info updated & auto load help posted!
    Why are my fonts in the java programs now using a courier type font instead of the arial type after installing 6.1?
    Speaking of fonts, is there a way to adjust the font size when I click on the station logo for program details? I would like to make it smaller.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by blulegend View Post
    Why are my fonts in the java programs now using a courier type font instead of the arial type after installing 6.1?
    That's a good question, I liked the older font better too. I've tried to adjust it but I wasn't able to, any help would be appreciated. If you or anyone would like to investigate, here's a clue:

Go to the JAVAINSTALLDIRECTORY\lib\jclMidp20\ext folder and locate the file fontPaths.jar.

Make a backup of the file! Then Rename it to fontPaths.zip and then you can open it with any zip program.

You'll find a folder called META-INF within, and then there's a file called J9EXT, which is a text file. If you look at the contents, you'll find:

Code:
    -DLcduiFontFileSpec=\windows\*.ac3
    -DLcduiSystemFont=\windows\cour.ttf
    -DLcduiSystemBoldFont=\windows\tahomabd.ttf
    I've tried manipulating it, saving it back to jar but I've had no success with that changing the font
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Speaking of fonts, is there a way to adjust the font size when I click on the station logo for program details? I would like to make it smaller.
    Sorry stroths! I couldn't find a way to do this easily If I have to make changes one day I'll try making it smaller.
    Its not really a big deal anyways. Thanks for checking.
    G-funk et al,

Thanks for posting this. Certainly an interesting program.

For those who want something similar sans java (including full calender integration: reminders, repeating, etc.)

I suggest PocketTV Listings. I wrote a blurb about it here:
    http://ppcgeeks.com/tv-listings-on-y...w-to-t827.html

What I like about this is you choose what channels to "sync" e.g. I don't care what's on Food Network, so why list it? I just have my top 20 channels sync up which saves space and of course makes browsing easier. You can also choose how many days ahead you want it to sync (I choose 7 days) and it works via ActiveSync.

Double clicking on any show gives you more information, including who's in it, who directed it, year, and plot. It's small, fast and a really sweet program (400kb; UPX'd to 150kb)

Goes great with a Slingplayer!

My favorite part? When you open the program it jumps to whatever time it is in the listings for you.

Last edited by Malatesta; 11/12/2006 at 11:50 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I've been using Pocket TV Browser (donationware) for years and it is great. It has not been updated for a long time and is not really designed for the square screen -- it works though. I'll check out PTVL since it seems to have most of the PTVB features plus grids and is now free.

Some reviewers prefer PTVB and others prefer PTVL. In any case, I'd rather avoid adding java to the equation.
    Last edited by Beryl; 11/15/2006 at 12:16 AM.
    Will this app work on a Moto Q or Samsung Blackjack?
  15.    #15  
    tv2nite? I suspect so, but you'll need to get the jvm for smartphone edition devices, the one above is for Pocket PC.

You'll have to get the MIDP package for smartphone from here (you must register) and follow the instructions in the corresponding install pdf. What I'm not sure about is the whether the PIM files will be compatible. sorry
    Yeah I like tv2nite and I was really considering the blackjack....I like the size of the device ... i might miss the touch screen of the treo...but I think Im ready for a WM device. I know the 750 is coming out ... but at the moment Im really looking at the slim factor of the Blackjack.

There are a few apps I would really miss moving to the blackjack or any WM device.

I like the cingular 8525, but it is a bit bulky and a lot more machine then I need.
    For those using PTVL, I modified the Blue Grid by Neil Faulkner to be more 240x240 compatible.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabella View Post
    Yeah I like tv2nite and I was really considering the blackjack....I like the size of the device ... i might miss the touch screen of the treo...but I think Im ready for a WM device. I know the 750 is coming out ... but at the moment Im really looking at the slim factor of the Blackjack.
    I hear ya loud and clear, I'm totally convinced that I can move to a thin WM device, and I'd love to. I might get the Sprint Q that's coming out in a few weeks.

As for TV2Nite, I feel strongly that I can get it to work on those devices. If you switch, let me know and I'll do my best to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    I hear ya loud and clear, I'm totally convinced that I can move to a thin WM device, and I'd love to. I might get the Sprint Q that's coming out in a few weeks.
    I hope you're aware of the battery short comings of these phones. I've heard it's really bad.
  20.    #20  
    I have heard that it's particularly bad on the Q, but on the other hand the Dash has something like a 10 hour talk time I'm not rushing out to get it, but i'm really just curious.

*Also, I'm really starting to get annoyed at the antenna since I'm now streaming radio pretty often now on the wx (soooo many more options now that it can do wma).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast