Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Just had to mention this. You can actually be on a call and the internet at the same time. UMTS is maybe my answer to not missing calls finally. EVDO does miss calls. Iíve tried the 700p and the 700wx and both missed calls (only occasionally) presumably to my email syncing and the internet connection.
    I have a really hard time excepting missed calls when my phone is on my hip.

I live right down the street from the CTI-Miami store so I decided to give the V a try. I figure I can sell it on eBay if Iím not happy.

Joe
    On the p and wx, were you on the 1X network? EVDO pauses the connection and lets calls come through unless you changed a setting for data to override. On the 1X network, a call will go to voicemail.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Pausing the connection is not using the connection at the same time. Heck, my Cingular 650 via DUN can take a call and pause the data connection; its doing both at the same time that is more fun.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    On the p and wx, were you on the 1X network? EVDO pauses the connection and lets calls come through unless you changed a setting for data to override. On the 1X network, a call will go to voicemail.
    I never changed any settings and it was using EVDO at the time.
    Trust me I definitely missed calls. Whether it was due to Outlook Activesync or not. At least one missed call per week and I donít get many calls.

Itís been that way on the P and the WX. It was that way on the W when I tested it from Verizon.

I did tests like surfing the net on EVDO and calling my cell (both p and wx) and the data did pause to take the call. I donít know why I get missed calls. Iím in the metropolitan Fort Lauderdale area with great coverage just about everywhere so it is not just a coverage area issue. My son also has a 700p and has the same occasional missed call issue.

I will see how it goes with the V.

Joe
    UMTS is different than EVDO. You can do simultaneous voice and data with UMTS which you cannot do with EVDO. No pausing needed, you can talk on the phone and browse the web to check a flight schedule at the same time for example. EVDO-A is supposed to be able to do this, but I don't know of any EVDO-A handsets yet.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    That's correct. UMTS can do both at the same time.

So how does CTI-Miami look in person? Do they look legit? I bought my 750 from them as well. Just curious. The CS was outstanding.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    That's correct. UMTS can do both at the same time.

So how does CTI-Miami look in person? Do they look legit? I bought my 750 from them as well. Just curious. The CS was outstanding.

They where in a very (NY internet camera shop) looking store. But the guy Alex I bought the phone from was very nice. They are definately there! Not Miami though, but rather Dania. Close to Miami by about 10 miles.

Joe
    Simultaneous data and voice on UMTS is the holy grail! It's one reason I'm so fired up to finally get 3G.
    hi
    i just ordered my treo 750V Im getting tomorrow, how do I get UMTS on this device? BTW I live in fort Lauderdale and I bought two phone at CTI miami they are legit and they were great at CS too. I did not buy this treo therem, I got it at phonesource for 729 plus shipping.

very curious about UMTS though
    Put in your Cingular sim. The sim should have a 3G on it somewhere depending on which sim it is. If you have UMTS in your area, voila it will get it. You can tell by there being a "U" next to the little antenna in the title bar instead of a "G" (for GSM).
    I live in Ft. Lauderdale. Are you able to get UMTS here yet? I was axiously awaiting 680 since I though 3g was a ways off in South Florida. Let me know how it goes. It is so hard knowing CTI is so close and now it looks like Cingular 750 is so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Simultaneous data and voice on UMTS is the holy grail! It's one reason I'm so fired up to finally get 3G.
    I dont know that I would call it the holy grail (especailly at the battery drain increase), but it is a useful feature in those times when you are online and speaking on the phone and need both at the same time (hopefully while not driving )
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Battery issues aside, it's pretty darn cool. I wonder if I can tether with PDANet while I have a bluetooth phone call...simultaneously. It SHOULD work. I can't wait to find out.
    Might run into bluetooth bandwidth issues. UMTS data runs about the maximum bluetooth 1.1, 1.2, and 2.0 can handle. Bluetooth 2.0+EDR can go faster but there aren't any PDA with it yet.
    The loox t830 is just one new WM PDA with not only bluetooth 2 but also EDR.
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Productinforma..._T830__6541064

It kind of makes a jok of Palm's statement that WM does not support > bluetooth 1.2.

Surur
    i have been able to be on a call on BT, and use GPS (on BT), and surf and get email all at the same time
    To be honest I'd rather that they supported the existing bluetooth better than support 2.0. The connection with my car is very iffy, sometimes it goes into a "lockup" where audio from ingoing or outgoing calls just disappears (not on car or Treo speakers) and you have to soft reset it to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The loox t830 is just one new WM PDA with not only bluetooth 2 but also EDR.
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Productinforma..._T830__6541064

It kind of makes a jok of Palm's statement that WM does not support > bluetooth 1.2.

Surur
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Although I only use Bluetooth for a headset, I can tell you the V is the best I have seen of any phone for clarity. No static at all even if you are handling the phone. Crystal clear. And I have tried dozens of combinations of phones and headsets.

Sorry to hear about your car stuff not working......

Joe
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewhip View Post
    I live in Ft. Lauderdale. Are you able to get UMTS here yet? I was axiously awaiting 680 since I though 3g was a ways off in South Florida. Let me know how it goes. It is so hard knowing CTI is so close and now it looks like Cingular 750 is so far.

Yes, UMTS is covered from Vero Beach to the Keys. The Cingular rep told me that. True or not, I have it at my work in FTL and my home in Coconut Creek.

Joe
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewhip View Post

Forgot to mention, CTI is right off of 95 and Stirling Rd.

Joe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast