1.    #1  
    This should be obvious to me but ...

Based on recommendations on this Forum, I bought a 4 GB SD card from NewEgg. (NewEgg was excellent, BTW. Two thumbs up.) I got the card yesterday and just popped it into the slot on the 700w. It said 39xx MB available. Sweet! I transfered a bunch of files from the main memory to the card. I works like a champ.

I popped the card out. (Do I need to power down the 700 when doing this or can I just pop it in and out at will?)

I put card in the SD slot on my laptop which is running XP Pro. Nothing happened. So, the ignorant question of the day ... what is suppose to happen? How do I access it and navigate the card's contents?
    Quote Originally Posted by msm_portata View Post

Based on recommendations on this Forum, I bought a 4 GB SD card from NewEgg. (NewEgg was excellent, BTW. Two thumbs up.) I got the card yesterday and just popped it into the slot on the 700w. It said 39xx MB available. Sweet! I transfered a bunch of files from the main memory to the card. I works like a champ.

I popped the card out. (Do I need to power down the 700 when doing this or can I just pop it in and out at will?)

I put card in the SD slot on my laptop which is running XP Pro. Nothing happened. So, the ignorant question of the day ... what is suppose to happen? How do I access it and navigate the card's contents?
    Go to MY COMPUTER and it should show there as another hard drive. Sometimes its labelled as CARD, sometimes "removable disk."
  3.    #3  
    It was my expectation that something would show up in the Windows File Explorer, but nothing is. I saw some postings in this forum suggestion that the older card readers cannot read the 4 GB cards. Mine built-in reader is three years old, so that may be the card.

I see on the Frys.com site that they have an SD card reader ("Patriot Card Reader") which plugs into USB for $7.99. I'll pop by Frys tonight and give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by msm_portata View Post

Be careful. I also have this issue. I have a 2gb card that is read fine in my device but my HP Pavilion Laptop cannot read. I think my laptop's built-in reader is not able to read cards over the 1GB amount.

I haven't tried with an external reader.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    My printer Can't read over 1 GB card either..
    Interesting, have you tried a program such as WMStorage to mount your card as an external removable disk drive on your computer - heres a link http://www.modaco.com/index.php?auto...&showfile=1702

Your transfer speeds will not be as fast as an external sd card reader, but will be better than activesync.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Why not leave your device connected and read/write to the card that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Why not leave your device connected and read/write to the card that way?
    I imagine using a card reader would be much faster than using activesync. This is especially helpful if you want to copy large files such as maps, movies, music, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    I imagine using a card reader would be much faster than using activesync. This is especially helpful if you want to copy large files such as maps, movies, music, etc.
    Activesync 4.5 beta 2 claims they have vastly improved that process. I can't say how much though, I never tested. But if Windows won't detect the card in a reader, then it might be the only way to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Activesync 4.5 beta 2 claims they have vastly improved that process. I can't say how much though, I never tested. But if Windows won't detect the card in a reader, then it might be the only way to do it.
    Well regardless of what changes are made to activesync, the real limitation is in the USB specification of the device connected to the computer. If the device supports USB 2.0, then transfer speeds may be moderately fast and maybe even comparable to a card reader. But if the device is only on USB 1.1 or 1.2, then transfer speeds are going to be much slower than a usb 2.0 card reader. I'm not sure if the 700wx has 2.0 or not, but I think it's more likely that it doesn' have USB 2.0.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I have had this problem too going from a 1G to a 2G. My comp would not read it. So I went to the comp manufacturers website and downloaded an updated driver for the built in card reader and it now works flawlessly.

For me it was HP.com to update the built in cardreader drivers for my laptop.

Hope this helps.
    ok .... so I've now progressed to getting an SD card for my 700wx .... because I want to load some music and play .... and I felt good that I was able to load correctly and it would play .... so I started loaded some favorites ..... and find I can't load more than 1/2G onto the card .... I check the card properties and it says that I have used 496MB and have 1.5G left .... yet when I try to load another music file via synch .... it says I don't have enough storage left to load it ....

help!
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blile View Post
    I have had this problem too going from a 1G to a 2G. My comp would not read it. So I went to the comp manufacturers website and downloaded an updated driver for the built in card reader and it now works flawlessly.

For me it was HP.com to update the built in cardreader drivers for my laptop.

Hope this helps.
    Very interesting. I had the same problem with a 2G card and HP dv1000 laptop, but upgrading the driver for my 6-in-1 card reader didn't fix the problem. Bummer! I sure hate to buy a new card reader when I already have one built in.