1.    #1  
    OK, I've searched and looked in the manual but couldn't really find an answer. I am usually in evdo service, but this weekend I was in Gulf Shores, AL and only had 1x coverage. I noticed that I could not place a call or receive a call if the 1x had the double arrows icon. I have my phone to check email every 60 minutes so the phone was basically in data mode all the time. In order to make or receive calls I had to select the 1x icon with the stylus and select disconnect. Is this normal to make and receive calls? I wasn't actively using the internet or outlook, but the data connection was still active so the phone couldn't connect. I ended up having to disable my email downloads so that the phone wouldn't connect to the 1x data and block my calls. I ended up missing several calls and wouldn't get voicemails to come through until after I manually disconnected. It seems ridiculus if you can't use your phone if your in 1x coverage without manually disconnecting.

By the way, I have a 700wx, with sprint.
    This has always been the case with 1x. At first, push email on a phone was a waste of time, in my eyes, because of this reason. If 1X is ACTIVE, you will not get your phone call. If it is IDLE (the arrows are greyed out) it will disconnect and allow the call to come through. You prpbably noticed decreased battery life that day also. Nothing you can do, technology hasn't caught up to technology yet.

Verizon has updated their towers to allow calls to pass through a 1x connection. This was a BIG update, and I'm surprised it didn't get much attention here. I wish Sprint would do the same, but where I live I am rarely in a 1x area, so I really don't complain.

Just keep in mind when you travel, to make sure your area has EV-DO coverage. If not disable the auto-sync, and check manually when you have a minute
    If you Treo is actively in a data connection mode (black left and right arrows) then you cannot receive calls at that momement.

Here is the exact description from Sprints Treo manual...

Your phone is on and a Sprint Mobile Broadband or
    Sprint PCS Vision data connection is active. If a mobile
    broadband data connection is active, you can still make
    or receive calls. When you make or receive a call, the data
    transmission is automatically interrupted. If a Sprint PCS
    Vision data connection is active, you can still make calls,
    but you cannot receive calls (incoming calls go to
    voicemail). When you make a call the data transmission is
    automatically interrupted.

Hope this helps.
    I dont understand why checking for email every hour would be such a big deal. How long does it take to ping a server in 1xrtt areas, 10 seconds?

Was your timing really that bad?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    I dont understand why checking for email every hour would be such a big deal. How long does it take to ping a server in 1xrtt areas, 10 seconds?

Was your timing really that bad?
    The connection would stay active long after the email was checked, in one case I couldn't receive calls for 3 hours. When I would try to make calls it wouldn't interrupt the data connection, I would have to manually end the data session by clicking on the 1x and slecting disconnect. Then it would allow me to make calls. If I didn't disconnect the data my call page would just say dialing and never connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
    The connection would stay active long after the email was checked, in one case I couldn't receive calls for 3 hours. When I would try to make calls it wouldn't interrupt the data connection, I would have to manually end the data session by clicking on the 1x and slecting disconnect. Then it would allow me to make calls. If I didn't disconnect the data my call page would just say dialing and never connect.
    Thats not right.

The question is what is was causing it? Software, Hardware, or network?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I live in a 1x area (and it sux). However, I have my wx set to check email every hour, and even if it pulls down several messages, it takes less than a minute to do so, then I'm "greyed-out" and back in business phone-wise.
    I am mostly in 1X coverage, travelling all the time. My connection stays open all of the time unless I close it. Is there any way to set up my push email as wel as when I OK out of explorer to close the conection, thanks.