Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Hi All!

I was a Treo 600 user for three years until last month when I bought a Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830. I have a query, and although I no longer use a Treo, I hope you guys can still help me. The T830 is not as popular as Treo phones and so, the community is small (see FirstLoox.org (about 30 members at any one time as opposed to Treocentral's 400, and so, my query wasn't answered so fast)). And also, my query is regarding moving from a Palm OS to WM5, and I'm sure there are many WM5 converts here, after Palm started offering WM5 Treo's, and so, u might have the answer to my query.

This is regarding transfer of PIM databases from Palm OS to WM5. I have 1400 Contacts, and the Calendar contains 3 years’ worth of information (I noted down a lot of work-related stuff in Calendar). On Treo 600, the Contacts db is only 183Kb (1410 recs), and Calendar only takes up 900Kb (3998 recs). However, with WM5, the same amount of information takes up 8Mb and 20 Mb of space respectively. May I know why this is so? Why does WM5 take up too much space for the databases? Did anybody who transferred their PIM data from Palm OS to WM5 experience the same thing? Is there a way around it, like compression, or saving the databases in external memory card? Appreciate you could help. I now only have 30 Mb left in my T830, and left very little to install many other apps that I want to install.

Thank you
    Last edited by emy_77; 11/25/2006 at 06:52 AM.
    Palm Vx (2000)> Handspring Treo 600 (2003)> Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 (16th October 2006)
    Are you sure about those numbers? Are you sure you are not mis-reading the size taken up by your PIM info?

Surur
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Are you sure about those numbers? Are you sure you are not mis-reading the size taken up by your PIM info?

Surur
    Yes, I'm sure. I'm very particular about what I installed on my phone, and so, I did them one by one. Contacts and Calendar were the first things I transferred to my T830. I even recorded how much space left and at what time. I did this after I had my first hard reset with my T830 (not due to the database), and since I wanna know what took up so much space in my T830, I carefully installed my PIM's database one by one. FYI, after the hard reset, Storage free was 63.67Mb

Here are my PIM database restoration records on 05 November, 2006:
    1) Contacts
    At 00.43, started restoring Contacts. At 00.50, Contacts finished being restored. Storage: 55.81Mb left
    2) Calendar
    At 00.51 started restoring Calendar. At 01.55, Storage: 46.2Mb left (still not completed yet). At 03.47, Storage: 38.36Mb left. I went to sleep as I was tired of waiting. When I woke up at 06.55, the Calendar was fully restored. Storage: 34.8Mb left, meaning Calendar takes up 20Mb of space.

You seemed surprised by my information. Is this abnormal for WM5? What could possibly I have done wrong?

Other information I have regarding my Calendar:
    1) In Palm's Calendar, I used Daily Journal extensively (Ctrl+J) everyday for most of the three years I used Treo 600, and wrote all my notes in there. In WM5, I noticed that this is considered as an 'All Day' event
    2) I put birthdays in my Treo 600's Calendar and make them as Yearly events. There are about 30 of these in my Calendar
    Palm Vx (2000)> Handspring Treo 600 (2003)> Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T830 (16th October 2006)
    Quote Originally Posted by emy_77
    However, with WM5, the same amount of information takes up 8Mb and 20 Mb of space respectively.
    I have PIM data similar to your own (3 years, 1385 contacts). On a Treo 650, my file sizes are: Calendar: 325k, Contacts: 202K

On my i730 or Moto Q, the file sizes (combined) are: 1.4M.

You can find the file in the root directory of your WM device if you're using a file browser that can see hidden files (Total Commander, Resco Explorer). Look for "pim.vol" for the size.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I have PIM data similar to your own (3 years, 1385 contacts). On a Treo 650, my file sizes are: Calendar: 325k, Contacts: 202K

You can find the file in the root directory of your WM device if you're using a file browser that can see hidden files (Total Commander, Resco Explorer). Look for "pim.vol" for the size.
    Hmmm, that's depressing to know (although your data makes more sense than mine- PIM data shouldn't take up too much space). So, there IS something wrong with my database/ transfer.

May I know how u did ur transfer? Here's how I did mine:
    1) I synch'ed my latest data with Palm Desktop
    2) Using the Palm synchronization software, I installed the Outlook synchronization software, Pocket Mirror.
    3) I synch'ed, and the PIM is now transferred to Outlook
    4) I installed ActiveSync from my Pocket Loox CD
    5) I synch'ed, and the PIM is transferred to my Pocket Loox T830

BTW, my pim.vol is 28.3Mb
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Hi! Kupe,

Can u do me a favour please? I still am looking for the reason why my database is too big. You mentioned about your pim.vol being 1.4Mb. After a fresh restoration from my Treo 600 to Outlook, i checked again my Outlook personal folder file size (.pst) and it's 17Mb (as opposed to 37Mb last time; probably because of the mails, which I deleted).

But, my favour is for you to kindly check what is the Personal folder sizes for your Calendar and Contacts. To know these, right click your 'Personal Folders' in your Desktop Outlook, then click on 'Properties for Personal Folders'. Then click on Folder Size button. There, you will see the size of Calendar and Contacts database. Mine is as follows:
    Calendar: 5784Kb
    Contacts: 1350Kb

Can you kindly report what are yours?

If yours are small, then, probably I had to just accept the fact that I DO have a large database for Calendar and Contacts, and I have to live with it if I want to use WM5 AND keep all my past data in my T830

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Regards
    Last edited by emy_77; 11/07/2006 at 05:05 PM.
    Hmmm - this seems counterintuitive, but my folder sizes are:

Calendar: 697K
    Contacts: 1239K
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Hmmm - this seems counterintuitive, but my folder sizes are:

Calendar: 697K
    Contacts: 1239K
    Thank you, Kupe. Yours still make sense. Since we have about the same number of contacts, our folder size for Contacts are about the same size. About 1Mb. So, your 1.4Mb pim.vol makes sense. But why is it that my pim.vol is 28.9Mb? I'm beginning to think that there's something wrong with T830. But, no other T830 users are reporting any problem with their T830. I just don't understand this.
    I'm scratching my head too, emy_77. It just seems way out of proportion.
    The only thing I can think of is that perhaps there are attachments in one or more of the contacts and calendar entries.

In Outlook it is possible to attach items (like Office documents, pictures, etc.) in the notes field of entries. Palm Desktop doesn't support the transfer of such things, but does ActiveSync?

If both of you have approximately the same number of entries in Calendar and Contacts, then the size of the entries themselves must be the differentiator.

To find the sizes of your items, do an advanced search in Outlook of your .PST file. Be sure to set the object type to all Outlook types. Then sort the objects by size.

Maybe that will give you the offending items causing the bloat.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I too had the same problem that emy has when switching from my Treo 650 to the Treo 750v.

Syncing 3.5 yrs of data (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, minus Memos) caused my pim.vol file to balloon to 10MB. With Memos that would total 30MB!!!

Here's the breakdown of the numbers:

Treo 650
    • CalendarDB-PDat 829k 5702recs
    • ContactsDB-PAdd 359k 670recs
    • TasksDB-PTod 26k 129recs
    • MemosDB-PMem 6964k 3695recs

PC Outlook
    • Calendar 7162k
    • Contacts 1325k
    • Tasks 245k
    • Notes 26115k

Treo 750v
    • Pim.vol 30MB

I have since switched back as the large footprint caused by my PIM data used up a LOT of processing juice and caused very bad lags, rendering the device unusable. Imagine waiting 15 seconds just to enter a quick note!

PS: I just did a search to find contact entries above 10KB in size and noticed that these were mainly those that had note entries. I removed the note on one which was originally 11kb in size and the entry trimmed down to 950B (a 90% reduction just for a couple of lines of text!).
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I feel like giving up WM5. It's almost a month now since I bought my T830 and I still can't solve my PIM transfer problems. I've done all kinds of things but none worked. My T830 still bloats like hell when I transfer my past data from my Treo 600.

I really love my T830 but I use Calendar a lot and I need the past data too. I'm already tired of trying to get it to work
    Hi emy, did you try removing the notes in appts that are large? Just a thought.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow View Post
    Hi emy, did you try removing the notes in appts that are large? Just a thought.
    I did, and as you said, it did bring the size down. But I need those notes.

So, i assume u're never going back to WM5 until they have a solution for this?