Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ... is no longer a dilemma for me. I spent two weeks with what I believe to be a superior WM5 device, the Samsung 830w. Compared to the WX I tried for a weekend, it was much faster and had a far superior display. Other than the Treo form factor, it was superior by spades.

After a week of heavy, day-to-day use of the highest rated stuff- Office, Flexmaill, Pocket Informant, and Internet Explorer (as well as Nerfront adn Opera), I am left with the same disappointment that Windows Desktop provides. I am a trial lawyer and spend alot of time sitting in court editing docs, surfing the net, sending IM's and email and intermittently having to do quick PIM scheduling with a busy judge staring at me.

For me, WM5 has the same defects as Windows desktop does. (To be fair, I am a MAc user). Nothing is ever simple. Where with Palm (and Mac) programs run in a linear way (everything associated with an app is physically installed right next to the app), with WM5 you get a meandering series of degrees of separation betwen every layer of an application and the data you edit.

A recent interet review compared how many steps performing certain functions required, comparing WM5 to Palm. The numbers were not that different. The untold story was in lag time- for me, WM5 apps take far, far longer to load and reload, as well as to summon up selected documents. The difference is immense.

So, my humble opinion- I just don't understand the WM5 popularity. It feels sluggish and unnecessarily complicated to get anything done.

These are small devices intended to provide the best-possible compromise betwen power and convenience. They are defined by the laws of physiology- our weak eyes and fat fingers can only allow for so much power and usability in a tiny device.

Maybe the problem is that WM5 tries to do more than a tiny device can do.
    I agree completely. I am an OB/GYN and need access fast sometimes. I tried the 700w and returned it back for the 700p. I could not be happier. Please see my other post for details comparing the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    I am an OB/GYN and need access fast sometimes.

There's got to be a great joke in there somewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintJunkie View Post
    There's got to be a great joke in there somewhere!
    "Don't worry mam, your v@gina is safe in my Palm!"

or

"Now where did I leave my Treo? Nurse! please call Mrs. Smith immediately. No use my number."

eh, it's late. maybe someone else can add sumpin'.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    LOL! Its such a great setup...maybe we need Drew Carey from his improv show.
    I don't think wm5 is sluggish provided that you have set it up so that apps actually close if you choose to close them.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

/\ opposite. you are supposed to leave apps in the bkgd so they load faster when you use them again, hence the useless X button. That's microsoft logic, not mine. With enough RAM I guess you could.

Anyway, I have a few questions for the OP. First, if "ease of use" and "simplicity" are what you are after, why the 830? That phone, as powerful as it is, is by far the worst implementation of Windows Mobile 5.0 I have ever seen. Unstable, no ease-of-use customizations, poor implementation of hardware, etc. That phone even has issues with the lock switch on the side.

What exactly was slower? I am not too familiar with Pocket Informant, I have used the built-in PIM since I bought the phone and haven't had any slowness issues. Web pages load faster, e-mail is more integrated and seamless, and Media has been fine for me as well.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong, preferences are what they are, but in my experience I have found that most people who prefer Palm do so because it is exactly that- simple and easy. Windows Mobile is more complex, yes, but also more versatile, and you can do a lot more with this OS. That being said, if all you are looking for is web, a calendar, and some Internet, than stick with Palm. But that's not what we bought Windows Mobile for. Most of us, at least
    oh yeah....

After staring at *GYN* all day, I can't wait to go home and use my Palm!
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    /\ opposite. you are supposed to leave apps in the bkgd so they load faster when you use them again, hence the useless X button. That's microsoft logic, not mine. With enough RAM I guess you could.

Anyway, I have a few questions for the OP. First, if "ease of use" and "simplicity" are what you are after, why the 830? That phone, as powerful as it is, is by far the worst implementation of Windows Mobile 5.0 I have ever seen. Unstable, no ease-of-use customizations, poor implementation of hardware, etc. That phone even has issues with the lock switch on the side.

What exactly was slower? I am not too familiar with Pocket Informant, I have used the built-in PIM since I bought the phone and haven't had any slowness issues. Web pages load faster, e-mail is more integrated and seamless, and Media has been fine for me as well.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong, preferences are what they are, but in my experience I have found that most people who prefer Palm do so because it is exactly that- simple and easy. Windows Mobile is more complex, yes, but also more versatile, and you can do a lot more with this OS. That being said, if all you are looking for is web, a calendar, and some Internet, than stick with Palm. But that's not what we bought Windows Mobile for. Most of us, at least
    1. I tried both the WX and the 830w, each for an extended time. Other than the slide out keyboard, I saw no major difference in usability in terms of the form factor. In terms of performance, I found the 830w much faster; far fewer and shorter "spinning wheel" delays than the WX. I preferred it over the WX in every way other than the look of the physical phone.

2. Now, in terms of apps and web pages loading faster on WM5, I just didn't have that experiance. The benefit of completely-rendered web pages on WM5 (style sheets and all) means that alot more data is required to load. The result is more lag time. All I can say is that loading sites on Palm in fast mode (WITH images loading) for me was noticably faster by an enormous margin. I mean by ten seconds at times.

3. Your point about leaving apps open in the background is true, and when doing that, they loaded almost instantaneously (as they do on Palm). However, summoning up docs from inside the apps was slow and produced the "spinning wheel" and, of course, I inevitably reached the breaking point where having too many aps runninb at once (five, six) slowed everything down.

Again, I guess my point is that there is only so much power you can expect from a small device before compromises start to give way. In a perfect world we would all have a 3Ghz Intel Duo processor and keyboard imbedded in the palm of our hand and a wide screen implanted into the backs of our eyelids. Until then, I think we need to accept the limitations of these little devices and not try to acheive too much, at the cost of slow app speed, fumbling fingers and overly-reduced graphics.

For me, ease of use means being able to switch from reading a news story online, to answering an email, to ilistening to a Radio IO station, to taking a call, to entering a an appointment in your Datebook- all in sequence and without significant slow downs or hitches. My experience with the Treo 700p has been that it does all that stuff much more seamlessly and efortlessly than the "top" WM5 devices. Why? Because WM5 is still Windows.
    my experience with palm os goes to the pilot. the 700w is my first wm device.
    I wouldn't trade my WM5 Treo for a dozen palm os treos.
    palm os & their built in pims were junk in my experience, standard software on palm was useless and required upgrades which contstantly caused incompatibility issues and crashes, while windows very surprisingly has been totally stable. As far as slowing things down, that only happens when you are running too many apps, just like in a desktop machine, and you can't multitask at all with palm os. A slow wm5 is easy to correct. A stable palm os is not.