Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Just thought I'd mention this "headset" in case it might have slipped under everyones radar:

http://store.treocentral.com/content...9-32--1264.htm

I saw this at a Sprint store last weekend and was intrigued by it...I mean, who wouldn't be impressed by a cell phone with a pen clip on it? Anyways, Sprint sells it for $130+tax, so I went ahead and ordered it here on the TC store and saved about $40 or so.

I am very happy so far, it does exactly what I had hoped. For those of you who like to wear one of those BT headphones 24/7, you will not like this. But for those of you who find those earbuds uncomfortable, this just may be the ticket.

I usually keep my Treo 700wx in either my front jeans pocket or in my Tumi mini carryall, so it is always nearby...problem is, it is very hard to access the phone while driving, especially from my jeans pocket. This LG "pen phone" I just keep clipped in my shirt pocket, and it acts as an extension of my Treo and I can quickly answer AND make phone calls. It has it's own dialpad and Caller ID screen. I am just now recharging it via Mini USB after using it most of the week on the original charge. So far so good, and it does have a headset plug to use a wired earbud, if so needed. Also, it can be paired with up to three phones, so it will automatically connect to whichever phone happens to be on. I can walk around my entire townhome (about 1,200 sq. ft), and the BT connection is stable and clear with the Treo on the other side of the house. It says max distance of 33 feet, but this is clearly wrong...

I have always wanted to carry a smaller, lighter phone, but everytime I try one, I just hate all of the missing features and functionality of a smartphone...this LG does the trick - it gives me a small, light phone with great battery life and good volume...and best of all, I am using the Treo!
    I was wondering about this little thing. but there were no actual reviews on it. So i take it you like it.
    You can confirm that the caller ID and dialpad work?
    I certainly missed seeing this, thanks for posting!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xplod4202 View Post
    I was wondering about this little thing. but there were no actual reviews on it. So i take it you like it.
    Yes, I really do like it so far...I'm most impressed by the light weight and the sound quality and volume. I have never really liked wearing an earbud all the time, it is just uncomfortable, and I have tried many of them. This is a nice compromise...

Littlepat -

Yes, the caller ID does work, although it only shows the 10-digit number, no names. I have never seen a remote caller ID device show the address book name, so this is normal. And also, the dialpad works fine, I can either dial the whole number and hit "send", or if I can dial a speed dial number and hit send and it works that way also.

Another nice feature is if I hit "send" during a call, it will call swap and switch the call over to the Treo. Also, when I wander too far, it says "Out of Range" on the LCD, but will automatically reconnect when I get back in range.
    Just got it yesterday. After some testing, I must say this thing really rocks!

The Send, End, Dial Pad, all work flawlessly, as cking stated.

It's TINY, but it is similar to holding a pen to your ear and talking---it takes getting used to, and you need an arm to hold it there. Other than that the volume is loud, sound quality is good, and static is minimal (and only at distances). I dod not try a distance test yet though.

This thing is ideal for keeping your phone in your pants or purse, because you only need to take it out for PDA functions, or to call someone who's # isn't memorized. I like it, but I probably like it more for the "cool" factor than anything else...

Oh yeah, and after leaving it on, using it, and testing it...NO DROPOUTS!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Just got it yesterday. After some testing, I must say this thing really rocks!

The Send, End, Dial Pad, all work flawlessly, as cking stated.

It's TINY, but it is similar to holding a pen to your ear and talking---it takes getting used to, and you need an arm to hold it there. Other than that the volume is loud, sound quality is good, and static is minimal (and only at distances). I dod not try a distance test yet though.

This thing is ideal for keeping your phone in your pants or purse, because you only need to take it out for PDA functions, or to call someone who's # isn't memorized. I like it, but I probably like it more for the "cool" factor than anything else...

Oh yeah, and after leaving it on, using it, and testing it...NO DROPOUTS!
    Cool, glad you like it! I use mine all the time, the first few days it was weird trying to dial because the layout is not standard and the keys are angled...now I can dial with it just as fast as the keypad on the Treo. Have you gotten any type of voice dialing to work with it? I haven't tried, but it is supposed to support it, according to the manual.

Mine has been rock-solid, also...no dropped calls, but sometimes I will pick up the Treo to dial and forget to switch over from the LG, which is easy to do by hitting the Send button on the LG. It toggles between LG and Treo, only taking about a second or so.

I don't know about you, but I found the perfect place to wear mine when i don't have a shirtpocket...I wear jeans about every day, and you know that little tiny pocket that is too small for anything on the right side? Well, it's just right for the LG :-)
    Voice dialing only works if supported by the device...BUILT-IN voice dial is differfent, and would be great, but bluetooth headsets usually are not capapble of that. But thanks for the review, I haven't used it enough to get used to it yet but so far, so good
    I reviewed the HBM-700 for TreoCentral in November 2006. Lately, I've received two emails from people who bought them used and don't have manuals for them. I contacted LG's "press relations" department and asked for the information, but never received the courtesy of an answer. So, I've spent an hour digging through my dusty boxes to find the thing, and here is the answer to their question:

How do you put the LG HBM-700 into "pairing" mode?

Hold down the CTL key for at least 5 seconds. The device automatically goes into pairing mode when first powered up - a smart thing to do, and now lots of headsets accommodate in that manner. If you get the thing used, it's paired to someone else's phone, and you have to re-pair it with your Treo (or whatever). This is the secret.

I commented about LG's lack of support in my review, and in retrospect these many months later, I wasn't anywhere near unkind enough. The info is in the manual, but the type is so small I literally had to use a loupe to read it. There's no PDF version available from their website, and no phone support, not even for us privileged press.

I'm posting this here so anyone else who needs the info can locate it.

Jay
    Jay Gross
    TreoCentral writer
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Sprint Treo 650, drowned Sprint Treo 700P, Treo 700w, and a crimson Treo 680 (yeah!), plus a red Centro