Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    When I went to log in to Agile Messenger today I got a message saying I had to upgrade to a new version to continue. I downloaded the upgrade, it installed after removing my old version, and it loads fine. After it finally logs in to all my services, Agile closes on it's own. I tried removing it and reinstling, but get the same result. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions out there? Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I'm mobile now and can't adequately search.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post
    When I went to log in to Agile Messenger today I got a message saying I had to upgrade to a new version to continue. I downloaded the upgrade, it installed after removing my old version, and it loads fine. After it finally logs in to all my services, Agile closes on it's own. I tried removing it and reinstling, but get the same result. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions out there? Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, I'm mobile now and can't adequately search.
    I'd suggest a complete uninstall and run a reg cleaner (memmaid/sktools, etc).

I just installed it for the 1st time today and it's running just great (I'm comparing it to Verichat for IM options)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Well, after hearing about it working for you, I logged in to my services one by one. MSN, AIM, and Yahoo all worked great. When I tried to log in to Google it crashes and closes the app. Not a huge deal, I never use it anyway. But it did work on the older app that I had to upgrade from today.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post
    Logging into Google makes it crash for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by digital0verdose View Post
    Logging into Google makes it crash for me.
    Good call. Same here. (I too rarely use GTalk, only AIM, but it'd be nice to know I could!)

i like the new upgrade.. now i reconnects me in aim after a phone call... instead of just sitting there for 2 hours trying to reconnect
    I was forced too... does anyone notice a better battery life? That's the only problem I have with these WM phones, battery life is awful. I can't stay connected all day like I could with my Sidekick2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I was forced too... does anyone notice a better battery life? That's the only problem I have with these WM phones, battery life is awful. I can't stay connected all day like I could with my Sidekick2.
    FYI, it has nothing to do with it being a WM5 vs Sidekick issue. Battery life on WM5 devices is as good as any other device, but you have to factor in things like powering the screen (the sidekick screen is awful and crazy low resolution, hence less power)

Fact is, the Sidekick uses the same type of IM system as Verichat: SMS relay as opposed to a direct-connect, hence the "better battery life".

If battery life is such a concern, you should then use Verichat but it costs $25 a year.

Having said all of that, my friend as a Sidekick 3 and between that and T-mobile, IM is plain awful, she's always loosing a signal and some messages never "get through" (since you're using t-mobiles servers, it's 1 more step).

Also, I can't say if battery life is "better" than previous versions since I didn't use them but overall I'm think the battery consumption is fairly minimal for Agile.

i'm not sure if this is a new problem with the update or i'm just doing something wrong, but now whenever i'm in a chat with someone, if i start to type a message and they send a message, my message gets deleted and i have to start typing it over again. this will happen over and over again if the person keeps sending a message before i hit send. i tried looking around to see if anyone had this issue, but didn't find anything right away. and i don't remember it doing this to me yesturday or before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    FYI, it has nothing to do with it being a WM5 vs Sidekick issue. Battery life on WM5 devices is as good as any other device, but you have to factor in things like powering the screen (the sidekick screen is awful and crazy low resolution, hence less power)

Fact is, the Sidekick uses the same type of IM system as Verichat: SMS relay as opposed to a direct-connect, hence the "better battery life".

If battery life is such a concern, you should then use Verichat but it costs $25 a year.

Having said all of that, my friend as a Sidekick 3 and between that and T-mobile, IM is plain awful, she's always loosing a signal and some messages never "get through" (since you're using t-mobiles servers, it's 1 more step).

Also, I can't say if battery life is "better" than previous versions since I didn't use them but overall I'm think the battery consumption is fairly minimal for Agile.
    Mal,

As much as I love ya and respect you... you're wrong about the Sidekick going through a proxy SMS server for AIM. While other T-Mobile devices do use SMS (all handsets and the MDA) for AIM messages, the Sidekick did not. It was real time and not SMS. As far as being proxy'd through another server, than yes, it probably goes through Danger's servers for proxy but it's still DATA being used. I am trying to say that if I have Agile running ALL day, and in my pocket and NOT being used, I will get a 20-30% battery drain in a matter of 2 hours, easily. What is happening is that the DATA is in real time and being polled constantly. While the Sidekick did the same thing (I could see people sign in and log off as it happened on my desktop computer and just as quickly) it didn't suck up the amount of Data the WM devices do. I could literally be in my SK2 all day... and still have 2-3 bars of battery life (about 50%), where as I do not make it through the day with the Treo.

Yes, I agree the resolution of the Treo is 240 x 240, but the Sidekick is only 240x160. Don't tell me that much of a difference in pixels is draining the battery 10 fold. Because the battery life of the 700p (320 x 320 resolution) out lasted the 700wx by a day and a half! It's how WM uses data and screen power. It doesn't know how to handle battery life AT ALL. So, I am not trying to but heads with you, but I had the SK2 for over a year (hell I still use it from time to time on Prepaid) and I know what I can get out of a device and what I am getting from the 700wx pales in comparison to the SK2's ability to IM and use data (in regards to battery life holding out).
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Darth Pooh; You are right about the sidekick using data not SMS, but i (also) disagree that battery life on the sidekick was better because of the OS.

I had a t-mobile MDA (running wm5 of course) and my battery life was awesome. I think it has more to do with the CDMA standard because it's constantly polling the tower, unlike GSM.

Also, it may be agile messenger itself. I can also go thru one whole day using Verichat (data only, not SMS) but agile messenger drains just as quick as yours. Have you tried verichat?

Oh, and just so this thread doesnt get completely jacked, i installed the new version just fine and it has one bug that is a MAJOR turn off:
    - When you are typing, if your friend sends you a message everything you typed at that point is cleared out!!!! This completely pissed me off yesterday when i was trying to type messages and everytime he sent even the simplest text like "lol" ALL my text would get erased. Im going back to using verichat.
    Last edited by Jdoc; 11/03/2006 at 02:32 PM. Reason: oops
    lol, okay I concede that it doesn't use SMS relay, my bad

but IM does go through Danger's servers and I'm willing to be that they in some manner maintain your online presence for you, updating your device whenever there is an event (buddy signs on, off, new messages, etc.) which aids in the process and uses less power, as opposed to Agile which is a more direct connect method (at least, that would make sense).

re: 20-30% battery drain in 2 hours, that seems excessive or rather I have yet to experience anything close to that (I dipped 4% in an hour yesterday and that was while also running push) but I need some more time to test.

I can say that running a seidio 2400 battery and verichat will definitely solve your issues as I can go 17 hours with 40%+ battery life and running push.

I'm coming from a Sidekick 2 as well and my biggest complaint about the Treo was the battery life. My Sidekick could easily go over a day and a half with heavy use without needing to take any battery precautions. However, heavy use on my Treo kills the battery much quicker. In fact, I exchanged my first Treo while under the 15 day trail period because I couldn't go past 3PM without it dying.

Now I can EASILY get through an entire day (and night) with heavy use and with Agile Messenger open on the Treo from 10AM til bedtime by doing the following:

1. Install Keyguard and turn off your keyboard lights until dark. (You won't miss them at all during the day.)

2. Dim your screen as low as you can take it. Mine is one step above the lowest.

3. I TURN OFF the device before putting it in my belt clip (I found that occasionally when I took the Treo out it's belt clip, the screen will be on. It didn't take long to figure out that walking, or moving around can press key buttons or the screen keeping it from shutting off automatically.)

4. Top the battery off every morning before leaving. (Stupidly the Treo does not keep the battery charged when the green light is on. Here's something to try: After the green light turns on, try making half a dozen calls and play on the internet for while. Your light will stay green and will not charge again until you unplug it and re-plug it in. This means if your Treo was fully charged at 2AM, it's been running off battery power since 2AM and not when you unplugged it! That's the worse charging method on any phone I've ever had to date.)

5. Manually check email. (EVDO is fast and it only takes a few secs - unlike the Sidekick's much slower connection.)

Since I've done the above I've noticed a BIG improvement in battery life. In fact I can easily soar through the day and night without needing an extra charge. It's still not as good as the Sidekick, but definitely usable without needing to buy an extended battery or charger. For example, I've been on the phone 3 times today, streamed some radio and surfed the internet several times, checked and replied several business emails and it still got 75% of power left in it at 3PM. BIG IMPROVEMENT! By 6PM it'll be down to near 50%.

I don't know if it's a WM issue or an EVDO vs GSM issue, but the sidekick has WONDERFUL battery life compared to the treo. I'm not knocking either device, but the Sidekick surely does wonderful in terms of battery life compared to the Treo. But the treo runs circles around it in pretty much every other area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post

Oh, and just so this thread doesnt get completely jacked, i installed the new version just fine and it has one bug that is a MAJOR turn off:
    - When you are typing, if your friend sends you a message everything you typed at that point is cleared out!!!! This completely pissed me off yesterday when i was trying to type messages and everytime he sent even the simplest text like "lol" ALL my text would get erased. Im going back to using verichat.
    ok good it's not just me that noticed this. i think i'm going to send them a support request about this problem.
    wow yes i have the same problem.. im getting mad when I'm trying to send 2-3 sentences.. than they make it all erase.. plz post again if anyone figures this out..
    Samsung i700 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Motorola Q >> Treo 700w >> Treo 700wx >> Sidekick 3 >> Sidekick iD >> Treo 750
    Mine cuts the text too when the buddy messages, Im glad im not the only one having this problem. The voice record/send is pretty cool though, I found myself jsut using that a lot to talk to my friends, but that may be because im lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, okay I concede that it doesn't use SMS relay, my bad

but IM does go through Danger's servers and I'm willing to be that they in some manner maintain your online presence for you, updating your device whenever there is an event (buddy signs on, off, new messages, etc.) which aids in the process and uses less power, as opposed to Agile which is a more direct connect method (at least, that would make sense).

re: 20-30% battery drain in 2 hours, that seems excessive or rather I have yet to experience anything close to that (I dipped 4% in an hour yesterday and that was while also running push) but I need some more time to test.

I can say that running a seidio 2400 battery and verichat will definitely solve your issues as I can go 17 hours with 40%+ battery life and running push.
    Mal,

I'd be more than willing to pay for Verichat yearly if it did what the Palm version did, but it doesn't. The Palm version would let me send back messages to the user without having to go into the Verichat program. Basically a popup would come up and I could type into that and hit send and it sent to the recepient. However, the PPC version doesn't have that quicky reply feature. It's quite annoying... and I don't feel that it is worth the extra money to pay for when Agile works the same way as Verichat does. I used it for a matter of a day, but than I stopped using it. How do I remove the registry entry so I could get another trial with the program and give it the full 7 days?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Mal,

I'd be more than willing to pay for Verichat yearly if it did what the Palm version did, but it doesn't. The Palm version would let me send back messages to the user without having to go into the Verichat program. Basically a popup would come up and I could type into that and hit send and it sent to the recepient. However, the PPC version doesn't have that quicky reply feature. It's quite annoying... and I don't feel that it is worth the extra money to pay for when Agile works the same way as Verichat does. I used it for a matter of a day, but than I stopped using it. How do I remove the registry entry so I could get another trial with the program and give it the full 7 days?
    I guess search the registry for all instances of Verichat and PDAaps?

Though I had verichat on my 650 and I'm familiar with how both work, what you are paying for with the ppc Verichat is not that popup function but the use of PDAaps's servers for their SMS relay function, which is exactly the same between the two OSs and is something that Agile doesn't come close to doing.

Plus ability to set custom away messages and read other away messages is nice.

i have the same problem where when im trying to type something to a buddy and they send a message/response while im typeing, my response vanishes.

when this is 2-3 sentences this is REALY FREAKING ANNOYING

has anyone learned anything about this yet? ive been searching all morning and this is the first forum ive found where people are having the same problem as me...
    Is the cutoff fixed yet and does anyone know if they will charge for the service anytime soon? I noticed that it's not BETA anymore and I don't really feel like paying per month for the service.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast