Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1.    #1  
    When I save the PIE cache to MAIN memory, then when I try to clear the Cache by using ClearTemp software, it still leaves some cache in the memory.. and everytime i use interent, the cache keep growing even after clearing it.. for example, after browsing the internet for few hours, the cache is 4.8 MB, so I do a clearTemp, and it still leaves with 668 KB cache in the memory.. is it suppose to do that..?? how abt moving the cache to SD card, since SD have more memory..?? Thanks!!
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post
    When I save the PIE cache to MAIN memory, then when I try to clear the Cache by using ClearTemp software, it still leaves some cache in the memory.. and everytime i use interent, the cache keep growing even after clearing it.. for example, after browsing the internet for few hours, the cache is 4.8 MB, so I do a clearTemp, and it still leaves with 668 KB cache in the memory.. is it suppose to do that..?? how abt moving the cache to SD card, since SD have more memory..?? Thanks!!
    Don't move it to the storage card. many problems have been reported. Is PIE CLOSED when you do this? It may be the problem. What happens when you delete cache directly from PIE? How much is left after that?
  3. #3  
    It is not possible to clear it out completely. That's normal.
  4.    #4  
    But it keeps growing and taking up my memory.. so I changed the cache to SD card.. so far, no problems..
  5. #5  
    Just to save time (and posts): when PIE starts closing right when you open it and you can't use it....it's b/c you moved the cache to the SD card.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6. #6  
    tweaks2k2 has an option to "disable PIE cache." I have that selected, and no problems
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    tweaks2k2 has an option to "disable PIE cache." I have that selected, and no problems
    and from what I've read, that's probably the best option if you're in EvDO:

    Only because 3g is supposed to be faster than "cache" on our devices. Although last time I tried that, the trick didn't stick, but I'll try again.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Just to save time (and posts): when PIE starts closing right when you open it and you can't use it....it's b/c you moved the cache to the SD card.
    mal, so far I didn't see any problems moving PIE cache to SD card..
  9. #9  
    For 100% of users moving cache to the card there is initially no problem. Then after days or weeks PIE spontaneously closes on you!!!!

    It doesent work.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    For 100% of users moving cache to the card there is initially no problem. Then after days or weeks PIE spontaneously closes on you!!!!

    It doesent work.
    That's simply not true. I have been using WM5 for well over a year now and one of the first things I do a new device is to run Tweaks2k to apply all my reg hacks. Certainly one of those hacks is to move the PIE cache to my card.



    Furthermore, no application no matter how simple or extravagant works fine for some time and then stops working for no reason. If it does stop working , either you changed something or something got corrupted. I am a professional software developer and I have seen it to many times to count.

    Perhaps PIE is closing on you because RAM is at a point during your usage that WM5 tries to issue an attempt to free RAM space?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    That's simply not true. I have been using WM5 for well over a year now and one of the first things I do a new device is to run Tweaks2k to apply all my reg hacks. Certainly one of those hacks is to move the PIE cache to my card.

    Furthermore, no application no matter how simple or extravagant works fine for some time and then stops working for no reason. If it does stop working , either you changed something or something got corrupted. I am a professional software developer and I have seen it to many times to count.

    Perhaps PIE is closing on you because RAM is at a point during your usage that WM5 tries to issue an attempt to free RAM space?
    If you do regular cleanups of the IE Cache, you can probably get away with this hack.

    Maybe not for 100% but certainly an overwhelming majority this DOES cause problems and has been documented on a plethora of WM5 forums, multiple times (it's actually quite annoying to see the same thread title over and over), so although it may "work for you" I personally don't consider it a wise move for the aforementioned reasons plus potentially slower speeds due to SD access.

    here's one long thread (of many) at pdphonehome on the issue:

    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...ight=IE+closes

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I personally don't consider it a wise move for the aforementioned reasons plus potentially slower speeds due to SD access.
    With WM5 accessing a storage card can be faster than accessing the ROM used as storage. Prior to WM5 accessing RAM was much faster and therefor more efficient to have on main memory.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    With WM5 accessing a storage card can be faster than accessing the ROM used as storage. Prior to WM5 accessing RAM was much faster and therefor more efficient to have on main memory.
    doesn't it depend on what type of memory the ROM is e.g. NOR vs NAND stuff (with all SD cards being NAND)?

    NOR: Faster to read, slower to write.
    NAND: Slower to read, faster to write.

    Appears to me a trade off as NAND lacks XIP (though that is not relative here).

    It seems to me that writing to a SD card could be faster than ROM, but slower to read.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/04/2006 at 10:12 AM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    doesn't it depend on what type of memory the ROM is e.g. NOR vs NAND stuff (with all SD cards being NAND)?

    NOR: Faster to read, slower to write.
    NAND: Slower to read, faster to write.

    Appears to me a trade off as NAND lacks XIP (though that is not relative here).

    It seems to me that writing to a SD card could be faster than ROM, but slower to read.
    Absolutely correct. That's why on good edge and 3g onnectons, disabling the cache altogether might be a good idea. My edge connection is average at best and have run without significant performance hits not using the IE cache.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    For 100% of users moving cache to the card there is initially no problem. Then after days or weeks PIE spontaneously closes on you!!!!

    It doesent work.
    I back this up 110%. It is the most annoying problem in the world, and only happens when you really, really need the internet.

    I moved mine back to the phone and no problems since.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    That's simply not true. I have been using WM5 for well over a year now and one of the first things I do a new device is to run Tweaks2k to apply all my reg hacks. Certainly one of those hacks is to move the PIE cache to my card.



    Furthermore, no application no matter how simple or extravagant works fine for some time and then stops working for no reason. If it does stop working , either you changed something or something got corrupted. I am a professional software developer and I have seen it to many times to count.

    Perhaps PIE is closing on you because RAM is at a point during your usage that WM5 tries to issue an attempt to free RAM space?
    You overlooked a simple detail. The reason it works initially but then causes PIE to close is because initially there is no cache to access but then after the cache builds a bit it tries to access the cache which is why it spontaneously closes itself later.
  17. #17  
    I must correct myself; the tweaks2k2 hack to disable cache does NOT stick. However, I had tweaked it to limit cache to 1MB, just to keep things running smoothly. I never went back and checked after I applied the tweak.

    The only problem I can see w/storage card cache is the sleep issue. If you try to run IE immediately after turning the device back on, and maybe if you leave it running in the background when the phone goes to sleep, you may suffer from the sleep/disconnect issue. Either way I personally wouldn't do it, and risk it, just to save 1MB of my program memory.
  18. #18  
    I meant storage memory. I can't edit from my phone.
  19. #19  
    ok, so totally confused from all the points here... assuming i am on EVDO, running Tweaks2K and PIEPlus, I take it I should try disabling the cache altogether or leave it on the main memory? (I'll point out that I too use it now on the SD Card, and seem to have better performance; it seemed big pages crushed my memory when saving internally and it would close PIE. I clean my SD cache (I assume) with MemMaid regularly, and things seem ok. Using as such 6+ months... ). Recommendations?
  20. simonds79's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #20  
    I switched my cache to my SD, and it worked fine right away. After a few days I noticed it would close itself right after opening. I ignored it and was using opera, but eventually came back to PIE and now its been over a week and it doesn't ever close itself, and yet the cache remains on SD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions