1.    #1  
    Am I missing something, or am I correct in my understanding that only a very small subset of WM apps work on the 700w/wx? I use handango frequently for app shopping, and if I search in any particular program category for apps compatable with my Treo I get very few or none. When I don't limit the search to my Treo, just limit it to WM, I get dozens of options.

There's a number of cool things I'd like to have on my Treo, this morning I decided I wanted a wine database (i.e. - "Wine Enthusiast Guide 2006 for Pocket PC"), but I can't find anything, and this is just my latest desire. Been stonewalled on many attempts to add software.
    Handango is awful. Just plain awful. And they're not very kind to the developers either.

I find it best to always go to the developer's site. That we you can always get the latest software.

Re: "am I correct in my understanding that only a very small subset of WM apps work on the 700w/wx?"

I think this totally false. There is not a single app that I ran on my 6700 that I can't run on the 700. Just b/c Handango (who are a bunch of buffoons) don't "classify" a program under Treo 700w does not mean a) it won't run on the device b) it won't recognize the square screen.

There is no such thing as WM5 software that doesn't run on the square screens, just sometimes you have to scroll. But I'd venture to say that 90% of the major software out there IS "square aware".

Your best bet is to simply find a program you want and install it and see how it runs. If you just follow Handango, you'll be very dissapointed. Just look to see if it's Wm2003 or higher, preferablly something that is WM5 compatible (softkey support).

Re: Wine Enthusiast Guide 2006 1.4, just install it. It WILL run on your device with no problems. It's a listing-type program so scrolling is natural. Try being a little more adventerous!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Handango is awful. Just plain awful. And they're not very kind to the developers either.

IRe: Wine Enthusiast Guide 2006 1.4, just install it. It WILL run on your device with no problems. It's a listing-type program so scrolling is natural. Try being a little more adventerous!
    Good advice. I'll admit I'm a "pu$$Y" when it comes to doing anything that will screw up my Treo. For example, I'd love the threaded SMS capability, but I read enough about some slight problems that I'll wait to see if Palm/Sprint come out with a fix. I'm heading back to handango just to figure out who makes this wine database program, then I'll find the developers site and buy it there. Thanks again for the advice.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Yeah don't follow Handango's list for the 700w/wx, it shows virtually no programs... even those listed as WM5 Square Aware on the title.

I'm also afraid of installing things... but I do try some out. I agree though, I'm waiting a little on the threaded SMS app. I'm not texting at all at the moment because of the Sprint issue anyway... which reminds me, I need to call Sprint about it.
    Keep in mind that a lot of "rectangle" games will not work on the square screen.
  6.    #6  
    I've only screwed around with it for 30 minutes or so, but so far this wine guide looks to be pretty useful. Worth a look if your either an enthusiast or, like me, an aspiring enthusiast.
    I'd have to agree with digitaloverdose. I am finding that there are lots of games that don't work on the square screen.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Well if they are designed for rectangle screens it's kinda obvious
    This is a major reason I moved away from the WX to my IP-830W. Many of the WM games I like don't have a square version yet. Also, SKTools was not nice to use on the WX since some of the screen is cut off and SKTools is really important to me in keeping my devices tidy.
    I wanted to make the OP aware that, at least as to games, what he heard is correct--many games just simply do not work on the square screen. Either that or the scaling is so bad that they're no fun to play. At least that's what I've found in the month I've had my 700wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by jphj44 View Post
    I wanted to make the OP aware that, at least as to games, what he heard is correct--many games just simply do not work on the square screen. Either that or the scaling is so bad that they're no fun to play. At least that's what I've found in the month I've had my 700wx.
    That's true. I own a number of Astraware games and the "scaled" versions are horrible. When I had a 700WX, playing the 160x160 PalmOS versions on StyleTap looked much better than the "scaled" versions.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I have to jump in and say that I think this is an understated issue that a lot of perspective buyers may be missing. When someone says a lot of games are crap on the 700wx's square screen, that means A LOT, as in MOST. Don't be fooled into thinking this is only a minor shortcoming unless you do not care for good sharp graphics, games, or even decent video.

I left a 650 for the 700wx and while I am trying to give it a month, the screen is giving me real growning pains. I may not be able to get past this major shortcoming.
    First, thanks for the lead on the Wine Enthusiast Guide - I downloaded the trial and am getting a kick out of this! (Definitely easier than my Excel file of "wines to try" ... )

Second, I agree somewhat on the "square screen frustration" ... I'm not a gamer, so that doesn't bug me, but some programs it's just a p.i.t.a. For example, I downloaded 1-Calc Lite from Microsoft and can't view the whole dang number pad. Annoying. (scrolling might be an option somewhere, but I just can't find it)

All that whining aside, I did find that the Wine Enthusiast software is compatible with the square screen

jen