1.    #1  
    I am using a vodaphone branded 750v on both t-mobile and cingular servce here in the US, when I switch SIMs or after doing a soft reset it takes 2-3 minutes to detect the network (displaying no service until then). In addition, the phone will periodically (1-2 times a day) drop to no service and than reaquire the network within a minute.

This is very annoying but I have never used a WM phone on GSM so I dont know if this is normal behavior or not... If so I suppose I can live with it but if not id like to get it exchanged soon, while it is still new.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    Are you getting a UMTS signal sometimes? It can drop the signal when switching between UMTS and GSM. It normally shouldn't but I have seen it do this. Also if you are in area with a Cingular GSM, a T-Mobile 1900MHz, and a Cingular UMTS, it will take longer to acquire a signal while it sorts out which one to latch onto.

Keep in mind it is effectively a six-band device, quad-band GSM plus two bands of UMTS so it on the normal auto settings it can take a while for it to decide which to use especially if the different bands have different strengths.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    I am in a UMTS area for cingular with good UMTS signal strength (2-3 bar). T-mobile delivers a slightly weaker signal fluctuating between EDGE and GPRS (1-2 bar).

The times when the phone has temporarily disconected were all when I was using the t-mobile SIM.

where can I disable the UMTS bands to test your theory? I recall reading that it can be disable but i dont see where. start, settings, phone, network doesnt give me any options. It just says current network: cingular.
    If you were using the T-Mobile I doubt that it was an issue trying to switch to UMTS. But to change settings, to the Phone settings, click on the Services tab, then click on Band Selection. You can change the type to Auto, GSM, or UMTS, and then below that change which frequencies to use.
  5.    #5  
    Well, that did the trick.

After soft reset with band selection set to auto:
    cingular: 73 seconds to connect
    t-mobile: 72 seconds to connect

after soft reset with bands set to GSM only:
    < 3 seconds

thanks, I will keep an eye on the intermittent disconnects and see if i can detect any pattern to them.
    I will say when I first got mine it seemed to take forever to connect to service. But sometime in the first few days it suddenly was connecting much faster even on auto. I can't really explain it but during the first couple of days I was seeing times like yours but now even on auto it seems to take around 15 - 30 seconds max. And I have done multiple hard resets experimenting with software so I doubt it's something stored on the Treo that make the difference.