Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is a GREAT reg hack for those who now use the Palm Messaging app (threaded text).

Thanks to levinda for orignally documenting it.

(1) On the 700w/wx there is NO know way to change the Left or Right Softkeys, it will most likely involve hacking some .dlls.

(2) This ONLY applies for the LEFT softkey, so don't ask about the Right.

What this hack will do is give you a popup menu on your LEFT softkey, similar to the the Right softkey. BUT you can only have 2 items and one will automatically be Email (messaging).

The other can be anything you want but I think the logical choice is the Palm Messaging app (But you think of other cool things, post 'em!).

Here I renamed the Key to SMS:

Hitting this Key now gives me this:

If I hit "SMS" it goes to Palm Messaging. If I hit "Messaging" it goes to Outook.

- You HAVE to rename the key! You cannot call it "Messaging" and have this work

- Whatever you name it, is what the 1st item will be.

- I do not know how to change anything else

Directions
    :

Use your Registry editor.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\112\Open =

You WILL NOT HAVE "Keys" or "112", you need to create those or INSTALL THE ATTACHED .CAB FILE.

You CAN rename it anything you want:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\112\(Default) =

NO I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO JUST CHANGE IT TO OPEN PALM MESSAGING OR ANYTHING ELSE!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Malatesta; 10/31/2006 at 04:58 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Cool!
    Very cool Malatesta, how do you import the leftsoftkey.txt? I want to do this.
    Jimmie Geddes
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Very cool Malatesta, how do you import the leftsoftkey.txt? I want to do this.
    Download the file to your Treo.

Rename the file to .reg instead of .txt.

And I think you either just double click or import it using Resco or something.

cool,thanks!
    Jimmie Geddes
    what happens when you get voicemail? Usually that changes to voicemail and then you have voicemail and messaging on there...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by boostinfd View Post
    what happens when you get voicemail? Usually that changes to voicemail and then you have voicemail and messaging on there...
    I'm 90% sure that the "Notifications" is a seperate process.

e.g. when I get an email and let the notification go to the background, my Left key still says "notification".

Hitting it still gives me the 2 options: Notification or Messaging.

So I'm assuming the same for all notifications including voicemail. But we'll see.

EDIT: WORKS FINE!
    This does not affect notifications including VM

You are correct, it reverts back to normal setting, with VOICEMAIL displayed and the voicemail/massaging options
    What am I doing wrong. I imported the reg key using Resco and I have the SMS option which pops up "SMS" and "Messaging". If I select "Messaging" it goes to Outlook. If I select "SMS" it does nothing.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Great job Malatesta! It works great!
    Jimmie Geddes
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    What am I doing wrong. I imported the reg key using Resco and I have the SMS option which pops up "SMS" and "Messaging". If I select "Messaging" it goes to Outlook. If I select "SMS" it does nothing.
    what does it say here:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\112\Open = X

it has \Windows\messaging.exe
    Did you reset? It should work
    Soft reset got it working. Thanks for the sweet hack.
    Works on the Treo 750v as well (with changes):

On the 750v the 112 key was already there with "calendar.exe" on the Open value. Had to modify and then soft-reset to apply.

Thanks!
    Things like this make me happy to be part of this community Great job!
    Jimmie Geddes

Well, as usual it appears I have accidentally solved someone else's problem, while trying to solve my own

I was trying to change the softkeys to launch the freeware "Right Menu", which can replace the start menu. For some reason the .exe only works correctly from the softkeys, and not the start or ok buttons.

This is when I found that the normal softkey hacks do not work on the w/wx. The right key does not work at all, and the left key adds your application on top of messaging. This is no good for my purpose, since it requires two clicks to get to the start menu add-on, instead of one.

However, the solution does seem to be perfect for adding the Palm sms app on top of the "messaging". Remember, many great discoveries were accidents.

Maletesta, thanks for giving me credit, even though I failed to solve my original issue.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    Maletesta, thanks for giving me credit, even though I failed to solve my original issue.
    credit where credit's due!

I'm sure we'll eventually get around to solving the "how to remap the softkeys" question for things like RightMenu and WM5NewMenu.

For those interested, Mike/Wideawake at ppcgeeks created a simple .cab file that will do the reg changes for you

Download here:
    http://ppcgeeks.com/files/ppcgeeksco...ft_key_129.zip

Follow the entire thread HERE.

Wow, thanks a lot for the tutorial. I couldn't get it done when the threaded app was released so I uninstalled it.

P.S. Lets say we wanted to remove the reg files, we just delete them, correct?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by L3thal View Post
    Wow, thanks a lot for the tutorial. I couldn't get it done when the threaded app was released so I uninstalled it.

P.S. Lets say we wanted to remove the reg files, we just delete them, correct?
    correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast