Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Which of these two maps are better for WX (Map4Pda or Google Map)?
    http://www.mapforpda.com
    http://www.google.com/gmm

Advantage and Disadvantage.. such as memory, more options, faster..
    Thanks!!
    Map4pda uses Google maps, so it's kind of a moot point. Plus, it integrates with other map services/providers as well.
    END OF LINE
    If google maps was a WM5 native app, I would go for it. However, its a pain to use the Java and it seems slower than Map4pda to me. I vote for Map4pda on the WM5 platform.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    I haven't tried Google maps, so I'm not sure if it has this feater: I use Map4PDA's traffic overlay quite often...
    Wow,,,, this is pretty cool.

I've been using the google midlet with java for about a year now and Kmaps before that. I've never heard of map4pda. I downloaded it and it looks great. I'm on my way to exams now but will give it a thorough eval later.
    Map4PDA is a great program! I just installed it after seeing this thread. It's so much better than running Google Maps through JAVA.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I thought it still used Java?

Regardless, I didn't like the Map4pda application - it does not have as many options as GMM, and the screen real-estate is occupied by a bunch of stuff around the edges. Better to use GMM and squeeze as much out of 240x240 as possible.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    I thought it still used Java?

Regardless, I didn't like the Map4pda application - it does not have as many options as GMM, and the screen real-estate is occupied by a bunch of stuff around the edges. Better to use GMM and squeeze as much out of 240x240 as possible.
    Map4PDA is .Net

As far as real estate, you can maximize it in the settings to go full screen. Example using all 57,600 pixels:

I'm not saying it's better, just clarifying...
  9.    #9  
    So far I like Map4PDA.. Never tried Google map.. But I heard that Google needs extra JAVA appl installed.. Does Google map has GPS similar to Map4PDA..??
    I like map4pda as well BUT for anyone using this in the Seattle area, why no I-90 or 520 bridge traffic data? It always shows as green??

Map4PDA has more features, but isn't as stable and fast as Google maps w/ Java.
    Can you put Map4PDA on your SD card?
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Can you put Map4PDA on your SD card?
    Yes - mine is installed on my SD card and works great. Unfortunately though, the maps themselves don't - although you can control the size of the cache...
    Well I've tried map4pda for a few days now and decided I like google maps better.

Just to clarify a few posts:

1) Maps4pda can go on the card and it DOES store its cache the card.
    2) It uses the net compact frame work unlike google which uses the java micro environment.

I like being able to jog between found items on the map with google, maps4pda jumps from 1 item to another when using the 5way when those items are flagged. If the flags are cleared it allows smooth scrolling bug I need to leave the flags up while scrolling smoothly to get my bearings. Maps4pda seems to be better integrated to the pda but google still seems easier to use.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I like map4pda as well BUT for anyone using this in the Seattle area, why no I-90 or 520 bridge traffic data? It always shows as green??
    Are you stuck in this?

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRitter View Post
    Maps4pda can go on the card and it DOES store its cache the card.
    I must be doing something wrong then. When I bring up the cache options, the check box to store on the storage card is greyed out. I find my map cache in Storage memory at \Application Data\SearchQuest\Map4PDA.

You verified that yours is on the storage card?
  17.    #17  
    Yes, mine is in the \Storage Card\SearchQuest\Map4PDA
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post
    Are you stuck in this?

Exactly, this traffic data is completely incomplete.

As it was on google maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by storyr View Post

You verified that yours is on the storage card?
    My cache is on the card. There are currently around 50 files there at around 30 kbs a piece. I moved the program to internal to see if it would run any faster but its still slow. Ow well google isn't fast either. I think I'l keep both for awhile. Maybe I'll get the hang of maps4pda,,,, right now it seems a little awkward.
    Can these be used with a GPS receiver?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast