1.    #1  
    guys
    my new treo- bought from the sprintnetwork dude on ebay- heats up inordinately. I have also got the message once that charging is being turned off because of the heating.

2. the screen doesnt always light up immediately when we press the red button. probably related to the first.

3. even after 24-30 hours of charging it gets to only 90% charge..

do i have a defective piece?

its just two weeks old and i can still send it back. please advise!
    Sounds defective to me. Any third party software or hardware installed?
    Do you have another battery you can try? It could be a bad battery. If you have the $6 insurance (which you should with a Treo), you can get it replaced free at a Sprint store if its defective.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I have also got the message once that charging is being turned off because of the heating.

I got this message once also. It happenned because I was charging the unit while on a phone call with the screen on. Make sure you set it to turn the screen off after 2 minutes of use. Or something like that.

2. the screen doesnt always light up immediately when we press the red button. probably related to the first.
    Mine does the same thing. There is sometimes a 1 second delay in the screen lighting up.

3. even after 24-30 hours of charging it gets to only 90% charge..
    After the battery gets to 100% the charger does not trickle charge. So after the charging light turns green you are on battery power regardless of whether you have it plugged into the wall or not. Summary: the charger isn't smart at all.