1.    #1  
    Hi everyone, I used to be a Treo 750v user on T-Mobile, but I wanted to try out the UMTS speeds with Cingular, so I decided to switch today.

Some questions:

1. They put me on a Blackberry Connect Unlimited Plan which costs $44.99 in addition to my voice plan. Do I really need this plan, or can I switch it to Blackberry Personal which is much cheaper at $35?

2. The Cingular Blackberry website won't allow me to register my Treo 750V. When I tried to enter my PIN and IMEI, it sent back an error message saying that device is already registered. I called T-Mobile today to stop my Blackberry service, so is there some sort of delay in the RIM database?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by SY in Houston View Post
    Hi everyone, I used to be a Treo 750v user on T-Mobile, but I wanted to try out the UMTS speeds with Cingular, so I decided to switch today.

Some questions:

1. They put me on a Blackberry Connect Unlimited Plan which costs $44.99 in addition to my voice plan. Do I really need this plan, or can I switch it to Blackberry Personal which is much cheaper at $35?

2. The Cingular Blackberry website won't allow me to register my Treo 750V. When I tried to enter my PIN and IMEI, it sent back an error message saying that device is already registered. I called T-Mobile today to stop my Blackberry service, so is there some sort of delay in the RIM database?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Simon
    Since you did not purchase the 750v through Cingular, you will not be able to register your PIN/IMEI numbers with them. I have tried as well. I wanted to leverage the Cingular BIS to get personal email. However, you can still use BB Connect on Cingular connecting to a corp. BES. If you only wanted the Cingular Blackberry service and not go through a BES, then I would switch to a unlimited internet data plan.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the advice Brian. Yes, I only want to receive personal e-mail, I'm not on a BES, so all I need is Blackberry Internet Service.

So from what you're telling me, to get my Blackberry Connect on the 750v service up and running on Cingular, I need to switch to a Data Connect plan and not a blackberry-specific data plan?

Simon
    Thanks for the advice Brian. Yes, I only want to receive personal e-mail, I'm not on a BES, so all I need is Blackberry Internet Service.

So from what you're telling me, to get my Blackberry Connect on the 750v service up and running on Cingular, I need to switch to a Data Connect plan and not a blackberry-specific data plan?

Simon
    Unfortunately you will be able to get BB Connect/BIS to work on Cingular. For some reason, Cingular will not accept your PIN/IMEI number when registering it on there Blackberry portal. I really don't understand the technical reason, but Cingular can only register your PIN if it was purchased from them. If it did work, you would need the BB Connect data plan. I was suggesting since you will not be able to use the Cingular BIS, then just get the normal data plan.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  5.    #5  
    I've actually had "some" progress today with the Cingular BIS. Yesterday, the Blackberry Internet Service website was not even accepting my PIN or IMEI. Today, I was able to input the PIN, IMEI, create an account, and setup mailboxes online. However, when I sent the service books to my device, the 750v did not receive them. Presumably, this is because BB Connect on the phone cannot seem to connect to the "blackberry network" and just says the network status is "available". Maybe if I wait until tomorrow, it will start working (changes made online usually don't modify things on the device-end of things until later?)

Simon

Simon

I am curious, why BES if you are only getting personal mail? Why not pop it from your account or sign up for a hosted Exchange account which would give you push e-mail to your 750 for your Contacts, Calendar, E-mail and Tasks?

Just a thought
  7.    #7  
    Ironically, the only reason that I want to use Blackberry Connect, is so that I can retrieve e-mails from my university Exchange mail account without having to log into Outlook Web Access which is such a pain.

I agree that using IMAP IDLE or activesync "push" e-mail with a hosted Exchange account would work great, if I didn't have the above requirement. Unfortunately, because I'm not staff or an employee of my university, they refuse to give me a BES account on their Exchange server. AND the university IT department disabled e-mail forwarding on all the accounts, so I can't send my university e-mail to a GMail account for example. So I'm stuck either using OWA to check my university e-mail, or using BIS to retrieve the e-mail for me.

I wish I knew of a better way to do this. I actually signed up with mail2web for their hosted e-mail, and they have an e-mail "aggregator" similar to what BIS does. Unfortunately, their e-mail aggregator cannot retrieve mail from an Exchange server.

Oh, and just for kicks I tried to setup BES on mail2web's service, but I can't seem to access the Blackberry Connect Software on my computer which was downloaded from the European Palm website since it gives me an error saying the account is not provisioned correctly, or something like that, and then automatically closes the program. And the BB Connect software on the Treo 750v doesn't seem to have an "enterprise activation" button.

Any suggestions would be greated appreciated.

Simon
    Last edited by SY in Houston; 10/29/2006 at 11:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
  8.    #8  
    I just wanted to let everyone know that my BIS started working this morning, so yes it is possible to get BIS running on Cingular using Blackberry Connect on the Treo 750v. It is limited to 3 mailboxes, but seems to work just fine.

Simon
    I just wanted to let everyone know that my BIS started working this morning, so yes it is possible to get BIS running on Cingular using Blackberry Connect on the Treo 750v. It is limited to 3 mailboxes, but seems to work just fine.

Simon
    You were able to register your 750v with the Cingular BIS portal? Did you create a new account or update an existing one.
    Brian McGuire
    I just created a new account and it accepted my PIN/IMEI this time.
    Brian McGuire
  11.    #11  
    I'm starting to suspect that BB Connect on the 750v with Cingular is pretty flaky.

It was working fine until I decided to start using Pocket Internet Explorer. As we've discussed in other threads, this disconnects BB Connect. However, after closing PIE, it seems that BB Connect cannot re-connect to the network, and stays in the "suspended" state, even after trying to restart the BB Connect service on the 750v.

If that's the case, I may switch back to T-Mobile. As much as I like having UMTS, a working BIS e-mail device is more important to me, and I can live with EDGE speeds since I don't use PIE that often. Couple that with paying $25 more for Cingular's Blackberry connect service and it just doesn't make the occasional high-speed service worth it. So much for getting a Slingbox and watching TV on the Treo via UMTS....

Simon
    I'm starting to suspect that BB Connect on the 750v with Cingular is pretty flaky.

It was working fine until I decided to start using Pocket Internet Explorer. As we've discussed in other threads, this disconnects BB Connect. However, after closing PIE, it seems that BB Connect cannot re-connect to the network, and stays in the "suspended" state, even after trying to restart the BB Connect service on the 750v.

If that's the case, I may switch back to T-Mobile. As much as I like having UMTS, a working BIS e-mail device is more important to me, and I can live with EDGE speeds since I don't use PIE that often. Couple that with paying $25 more for Cingular's Blackberry connect service and it just doesn't make the occasional high-speed service worth it. So much for getting a Slingbox and watching TV on the Treo via UMTS....

Simon

Flaky is a understatement. I disabled it for now. I cannot re-connect. I just can't seem to get a connection most of the time. Its not worth using until a fix comes out. I suspect we might see more support when Cingular releases the 750c.
    Brian McGuire
  13.    #13  
    Agreed. I'm going to switch back to T-Mobile for now. Maybe when the 750c is released and it's stable running BB Connect and HSDPA I'll switch to Cingular. At least my contract is done, so I can switch anytime.

Thanks for all the advice,

Simon
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but now that Cingular has launched their 750 - does it have BB Connect as an option?

My office has an older version of Exchange running so direct push doesn't work but we do support BlackBerrys.
    I don't think Cingular is offering BB Connect as an option yet. This doesn't mean you can't get it to work on the Cingular 750 currently.
    Brian McGuire
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    There is a whole thread 6 posts below this one that goes into all the details

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=124597&page=3
    Quote Originally Posted by mmereos View Post
    There is a whole thread 6 posts below this one that goes into all the details

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=124597&page=3
    I agree. Let's use the other thread as I feel I am posting in two locations. The other thread covers all BBC issues and topics.
    Brian McGuire